Guest viewing is limited

THR It's over!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deb, so happy to hear that everything went well!! Isn't it great to be home? There are so few times in life when we get to slow down and just focus on our own health.....so I keep reminding myself that's what I should be doing!
 
I had the minimally invasive procedure but my scar sure looks longer that 3 or 4 inches over my butt. I think I have staples...still have a bandage on it. No PT ordered at this time. PT showed me different exercises to do in be and my doctor wants me to begin using a stationery bike after 3 weeks.
 
At the point you are at I was taking 10 mg of oxycodone every 3 hours (stronger than hydrocodone) and 5 mg valium (for muscle spasms) every 8 hours. I felt pretty good and was up and around a lot, but I would have felt like you are describing if I had cut back. I think you are way too early to cut back on pain meds, unless you weren't having any pain ... but you are. There is no reason to have to feel like you've been beat up, so take the pain meds and let yourself have an easier time with recovery.

I also remember my upper body and shoulders hurting a lot and being very stiff after my first hip replacement. Not after the second one, though. I was very weak and in bad shape before the first one, so I think it was just from working so hard with my walker after surgery. It took about a month for that soreness and stiffness to subside, but it did.

You'll get better, really.

Dorothy
 
Deb, I answered your question about the soreness and meds on your other thread.

Glad to hear the surgery went well and that you are home.

Take care and be sure to rest a lot. Your body needs to heal.

Dorothy
 
Your shoulders and back likely hurt because you are using a walker and using muscles you don't normally use. Get lots of rest, and make sure you are drinking enough water. I had some lack of appetite and felt worse when I wasn't eating. I drank some protein shakes and that seemed to help. I always felt better after a sleep, so make sure you are resting and taking naps as often as possible. I would sometimes feel twinges around the surgical site, I attribute this to nerves waking up, kind of like when your arm falls asleep. You will get through this, that mack truck will leave soon!
 
You have been through major surgery. Now your body is complaining about all the trauma. Please keep taking your pain meds on a regular basis - stay ahead of the pain. Are you doing too much? All you should be doing at this stage is rest, rest and more rest. Icing, elevating and meds. Don't worry - this will soon pass.
 
Congratulations Deb on your shiny new hip and home already!

Are you elevating, icing and taking your pain medications as prescribed?, don't cut back at this stage. It is easy to forget a dose, but I set an alarm just incase I napped through my med time.

It is really so important to keep ahead with pain control, that way you won't suffer what we refer to as 'break through pain', which is what you appear to be encountering now.

'Slow and steady wins the race' is the name of the game for the first few weeks.

Here are some articles from the library to get you started. But don't hesitate to ask questions, we love questions:)

Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

I look forward to following your journey of recovery and celebrating each little (and big) milestone with you, we are here to support you :)
 
I've been home less than 24 hrs but i feel like someone has beat me up. Pain in the surgical site, knees, and even the shoulders. Is this normal? Am I moving to fast? I did skip a couple of Hydroc yesterday afternoon but I got back on track at 8 pm last night and have been taking them every 4 hours. Any suggestions or tips???
Skipping doses is a fast way to get that "run over by a truck" feeling! You got to baby yourself. No badges for heroes in this business! Read the links Poppet has left you. I know you were left them on the pre-op forum but I think you may need to refresh your mind!
 
Two more things .......

Would be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here How to create a signature. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being 7th August 2000 rather than 2/8/00 or 8/2/00.

This also applies to anyone else who is reading here. Thank you.


and

[Bonesmart.org] It's over!!!!
 
Deb, you sound incredible! I wasn't able to log in, much less make sense until at least Saturday (after a Monday morning surgery). Ice, elevate and medicate and you will be feeling better soon.

Tammy
 
Deb,
I am south of Ft. Worth. I have family in Houston, Clear Lake and Kemah. Glad the pain is better. All in all sounds like you are doing well. Whart did you wear while in the hospital? A hospital gown or what??? Just wondering what I will need to take.
 
I wish I could quit being such a worrier but I am having more pain than I expected to have. It really hurts when I try to bring my bad leg up and into bed. I'm scared to death I am going to do something to dislocate it. I am also having a rough time sleeping on my back. Is it o.k. to sleep on your side if you have a pillow in between your knees. I feel like I didn't get enough precaution and pain management information. I am elevating my surgical leg when I lay down and icing the incision. I am taking my Hydroco 7.5 - 325mg every 4 hours throughout the day. Any other suggestions? I wasn't expecting pain like this. I am using the walker but tend to scoot to the sink without it. Feel like I am too weak to not use it yet. I use the cane when going up/down steps. Any other suggestions. I hope I'm not driving everyone crazy. How long can I expect to have such pain? :flwrysmile:
 
Hi there Deb,

I am going to have to merge your two threads, as we prefer only one on the Hip Recovery side, this is so that we can keep your recovery status in full context.

I will merge this thread into your first thread and then answer your concerns :)
 
I wish I could quit being such a worrier but I am having more pain than I expected to have. It really hurts when I try to bring my bad leg up and into bed. I'm scared to death I am going to do something to dislocate it. I am also having a rough time sleeping on my back. Is it o.k. to sleep on your side if you have a pillow in between your knees. I feel like I didn't get enough precaution and pain management information. I am elevating my surgical leg when I lay down and icing the incision. I am taking my Hydroco 7.5 - 325mg every 4 hours throughout the day. Any other suggestions? I wasn't expecting pain like this. I am using the walker but tend to scoot to the sink without it. Feel like I am too weak to not use it yet. I use the cane when going up/down steps. Any other suggestions. I hope I'm not driving everyone crazy. How long can I expect to have such pain? :flwrysmile:

Hello Deb, I have merged your latest thread into this one, your primary post surgery thread. Post here, we will see your new posts and we keep an eye on them - ok sweetie :)

I am assuming that you are taking the correct strength and dosage of your prescribed pain meds - is this right hon?

It is hard Deb, a THR is major surgery, so there is lots of healing and associated pain, and you are very early days into recovery. At this stage you should be resting and only moving around (with your walker) to go to the bathroom, kitchen maybe once every hour..

In the early days, I used the belt of my terry toweling dressing gown to hook over my foot and keeping my toes up I used this to get into bed.

Sleeping on your back is difficult, but if this is the instruction from your OS, you need to stick with it.. Pillows, lots of pillows everywhere, changing positions, I wriggled like crazy all the time on my back, but persisted as this was one of my restrictions. At this early stage I would not recommend that you lay on your side even with a pillow unless you get the OK from your surgeon.

Rest, elevate, ice and taking your prescribed meds on time is your mantra for the first few weeks.. If you are taking exactly what you have been prescribed and feel it is not keeping your pain under control, give your surgeons office a call or failing the surgeon, ring your GP.

It is so important to follow the instructions you were given in these early days.. Try not to leave that walker behind, at the moment you need it honey :)

If you are following your instructions you should not worry about dislocating.. Did you read the links to the articles I gave you earlier? Go back and re- read them honey, they will help reassure you.

Come and vent here, we are here to help you get through this :)
 
Deb, are you using a leg lifter? If you don't have one use a belt or dog leash. This really helps. On icing, I did the whole leg for 20 minutes several times a day. Make sure to do those ankle pumps slowly while your leg is elevated as this helps with the swelling. But don't go overboard on them. And for gosh sakes:sleep: REST.:beg: You should not be scooting over to the sink without the walker. Use your walker. :yes!: A few pillows to elevate your head and one under your knees really helps with sleeping on your back.
Pat
 
I just re-read your post after replying Deb honey... You asked 'how long can I expect to have this pain' it really is so different for everyone, so trying to answer that question is a bit like how long is a piece of string.

Hang in there, it does get better... There are so many members on BS who are proof of that..

Hugs xx
 
:goodpost: Thank you so much. I get so worried and then scared. I appreciate you all so much!
 
We understand Deb, it is scary, but as the weeks go by and you pass the milestones you will feel more confident :)

When is your post op appointment with the surgeon?
 
Hi Deb, you're having a lot of anxiety:gaah: and that is understandable, but it greatly contributes to the level of pain that you feel. Not being sure which surgical approach you had, I wouldn't presume to advise on whether you should try sleeping on your side. But why don't you call your hospital unit and talk to one of the nurses there about your precautions if you're not clear?---or call your surgeon. Do you have a home health nurse coming to visit? You should have a number to contact her. That's what they're there for, and they'll know specifically what you should and shouldn't do.

I doubt you're in any danger of dislocating your favorite new body part, but you need to know exactly what your OS wants you doing and not doing, in order to not be anxious about it.

How is your pain med ordered? If it is 1-2 tablets every 4 hours as needed, be sure and take 2. You might even set your alarm for every 4 hours, so you don't miss a dose and get behind the pain. You said you were taking it every 4 hours throughout the day---you are taking it throughout the night, too, aren't you? Did they order a muscle relaxant like Robaxin? If so, toss one of those back once in a while, too. You need to get more comfortable. If you're taking the max and still in a lot of pain, let your OS know.

My OS told me before I left the hospital that I could also take ibuprofen up to 800mg two or three times a day. A couple of times I did take 400mg in between the Percocet doses and it helped a lot. (My Percocet was 5/325, ordered 2 every 4 hours as needed.) If your doctor suggested adding tylenol or ibuprofen, do it. I just pulled out the medication chart I kept, and Wow, I did take a lot of medication that first week. I would have said I don't recall having a great deal of pain, but I really took the meds and stayed ahead of it, or the memory fades:SUNsmile:

As Poppet says, it does get better, and probably sooner rather than later. You're going to be fine! You're doing great, keep icing and elevating. Get your friends to bring you something decadent to eat, like chocolate croissants. I hope you have a good book or some videos to entertain yourself when you're awake. And you can always come hang out here with your BoneSmart (international) Warriors.:yes!: We're here for you:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom