THR It's all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadow09. New hairdo i get to call the colors. Blue green pink and purple. Nah not really. Just make sure it is not the Demi Moore type from go Jane.. Had a great day out in the backyard with Zeke for a couple of hours. He is truly being a little trooper on this and i am also using e time to get him comfortable around canes and walkers and such. His loose leash is way above average, i think it helped him those last couple of days to walk slow with me.
 
bsilvers - I did have bursitis in both hips. If your hips are bad, it might be best to have them done at once rather than prolonging it. My left is not nearly as bad as the right was but the doc thinks I may need to have it done eventually. Amazingly my left hip has not been bothering me at all during this recovery - which I thought it might given the extra stress I have been putting on it. The other amazing thing is that I have not had any back pain, which has been dogging me for years . . . I am not sure if that will continue, but I am thankful for the reprieve. I was told when I was a teen that my legs were different lengths - which most people have - but maybe not as much. My doc thought he could correct that. The leg length on the operated leg feels good so far.
 
Shadow09. New hairdo i get to call the colors. Blue green pink and purple. Nah not really. Just make sure it is not the Demi Moore type from go Jane.
Ah darn! Just the look I was going for!!! :heehee:

Glad that Zeke (love the name btw) is being a good companion! My dogs and my son's dogs - when they were here last weekend - seem to know that I need more time and clearance than usual. Even the most rambunctious of son's dogs (both Siberian Huskies) sat patiently when I fed him when son was out one evening. Gotta love our doggies! :puppysmooze:
 
Shadow09, I'm thinking about you as you get ready to go to the dr's for your post op appointment. Also the dreaded PT appointment. Prayers for fabulous report being sent your way. I'm excited to hear what everyone says. Share when you can. :)

Nancy
 
Update after Dr visit. Progressing well. Wants me to use either one crutch or cane until my leg muscles are stronger. But that is probably ok since I don't feel real confident walking without anything. Driving whenever not on pain meds and DH is willing to ride with me :rotfl: off work at least another week and then maybe back PT. started PT today. 2x wk thru August. No X-rays until 6 weeks.
 
Good Morning Shadow09, I didn't get an alert that you had updated your thread. Sorry for the delay... I was anxiously awaiting your update. "Progressing well" is a very good report!!! :yes!: How encouraging is that?! I think cane or crutch comforts me until I have more miles on the new hip... It's a visual for people around me to be careful.... usually, I feel a little better protected from random public rough housing :bicycle2:

Driving whenever not on pain meds and DH is willing to ride with me
Does that mean that you can't drive on your own?

Now to the really important stuff.... How's your hair??? :)

Nancy
 
Hi nmay51. You are exactly right about the crutches in public! That is what my therapist said. They serve as an indicator to those around me that they need to watch out. And they do seem to serve that purpose! Besides, I can use them to whack people who are NOT careful!! :whistle:

I probably could drive but think I will milk having DH chauffeur me around for part of another week yet. :heehee: I am off all RX meds :yahoo:

LOVE my haircut!!! It has been so hot & I needed a change that I got it cut SHORT. Cute, cool, easy!!! :tada: :happydance: I usually wear my hair longer but this is a welcome change. Feel like a new woman! DH actually likes it to.
 
Shadow09, I just got back from a leisurely walk around a local garden shop. The cane came in very handy. A lady was walking her large puppy on a leash. He was very rambunctious and I nicely, stuck my cane up and told the owner, that I had a brand new hip I was protecting :sorry:. Cane visually helped protect my precious new hip.

Chauffeur are very handy, and I won't complain that I still need them. It's one area I will milk with pleasure:heehee: .

Now to the all important hair... don't you just feel like a new woman??? I went radically shorter a year ago as I prepared for rotator cuff surgery and the inability to style my hair for a while. It was such an unexpected pleasure. I liked it so much I didn't go back. Good for you! New hairstyle for your new lifestyle!:) Now maybe a night out with DH to show off the new you????

Nancy
 
I have a question for everyone. Do you LIKE PT? I find that I am enjoying the PT. :) I have a tiny, cute therapist who keeps telling me that it is a fine line between what is good and what is too much and I don't want to cross that line to trigger bursitis or tendonitis. She also keeps me in line and tells me when I am "cheating" like on my abduction exercises. :blush: She also mentioned that sometimes the prosthesis realigns the femur slightly which makes the muscles and tendons sore and they have to get used to the new alignment and the correct way of moving. She said so many of us have been compensating for pain and misalignment for so long, creating a funky gait, that it takes a while to reteach those muscles and tendons to move correctly.

I am enjoying PT - I am sore and so I ice after but she never pushes beyond what I am comfortable with. Goal to strengthen and improve my gait.

Hoping to return to work part-time next week. Going a bit stir crazy. We shall see if doc approves, but I think he will. My work is sooooo great . . . telling me they want me back but I need to move at my own pace. They have volunteered to chauffer me if needed, but I think I will try driving tomorrow or Wednesday - my 3 week anniversary!!! I am also fairly active in my community and feel like I am missing something so I need to get back out there!!

One other question. I was watching some people walking and jogging along a trail today and thought, "You don't know how blessed you are with just being able to move until you can't." I can't wait until the day I am hiking and walking without thinking about my hip!!! :happydance:
 
Shadow09, I wouldn't say I "like" PT exercises, but I like getting stronger because of them. I like seeing the progress I'm making. I do all the PT exercises on my own. I can't wait to go back to the gym and get on the tread mill, or stationary bike, or in the pool for some aqua chi....

The OS lengthened my right hip and at first that was VERY strange. Like I was walking with one high heel. Either my left leg was swinging off the ground, or my right leg is bent at the knee. I know it has something to do with my hip alignment. Well, the more I walk, the more my legs/hip are falling into place. I read a really good article here that put my mind at ease about time taking care of the leg length change. They have some really good articles and links to PT exercises too.

A friend of mine asked me if I would be up for a hiking trip this fall. My first reaction was YES PLEASE... but, I said that I really wasn't sure when I'd be up for a hiking trip. I simply don't know. I may not know when, but I do know, that it's only a matter of time and no longer about ability!!!:happydance:

Going back to work, part time, sounds like a safe transition. Slow and easy. Same thing probably applies to your community involvement... slow and easy :SUNsmile:

Almost three weeks in for you, and you're doing so well! I like following in your wake, it takes some of the unknown out of it for me. :) Thanks for that!

Enjoy your day!!!

Nancy
 
Welcome to the good side, Shadow09. I'm glad you're doing so well. Just remember that this is a long trip you're embarking on. Your body will heal at its own pace and you need to respect that. Just rest, elevate and ice and enjoy the down time. :SUNsmile:
 
Three week report! Doing great!!! Headed back to work part time next week :yay: Down to 1000 mg of Tylenol per DAY :tada: Still using a cane for walking but that is ok. Leg feels good. A little tight (iT band?) in the morning but normally I can go hours without really thinking about it too much. Wishing all my hippie buddies a speedy recovery!! :happydance:
 
Shadow, I find I always enjoy PT. Had it before I had any THRs to deal with a dead glute muscle, and then again after both THRs. It makes me feel like I have a personal trainer. And since I did manage to acquire the dreaded bursitis/tendinitis/IT band syndrome, I restarted PT yesterday and yep...I enjoyed it. In general I rarely stick with exercise on my own at home (which might explain why I'm having these problems now!), but having my very own PT gives me the external push I seem to need.

The tightness you are feeling is probably normal post-op pain....tightness is a manifestation of pain. But you are sounding wonderful. Tightness after you've been in bed all night is quite normal....if it works itself out once you're moving around, then you're good.

Sharon
 
I am the consummate lazy bones and doesn't like PT, love my walking though.. Glad you are all enjoying your PT though.
 
A bit sore after PT yesterday, but no real pain. Took it a little easy today & it is feeling great. Out to dinner with family. Need to try to get a little cleaning done this weekend. Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Shadow09, I LOVE LOVE LOVE PT. I look forward to it and always feel it benefited me. My husband has benefited so greatly from PT. He can't take any NSAIDS and has traumatic arthritis from a severe car crash many years ago. Last year, he was very close to having what is called a "frozen shoulder," as well as a back problem, and was in constant pain. PT saved him. Now, by keeping up with the exercises every day, he has avoided any relapses and is able to do pretty much whatever he wants to do. It's important to have a good PT, who really knows what s/he is going. As is the case with doctors, there is wide variation in the quality of PTs. The PT who has been visiting me at home since my surgery is great, as were the PTs at the hospital. They are all amazed to be greeted with such glad cries of delight when they show up, because they've told us (Spencer and me) that people usually seem to be near tears, and cry out, "Oh, no! They're coming to torture me!" But of course they aren't. They are highly skilled consultants who can help us feel better and move more freely if we work with them carefully and intelligently, and do the exercises on our own in between PT sessions. We can't just blindly do whatever they tell us to do -- we are caretakers of our own bodies and have to be full participants, letting them know when something feels too hard.
 
Thanks for the reminder, Josephine. I will take it a bit easier than I planned. There is just so much that needs to be done . . . :gaah:

BeckyR there was one PT exercise that I did that apparently caused some stress on my knee - which I didn't realize until later :wink: - so I think I am going to see if there is a way my therapist can modify it slightly for me.
 
Shadow09, That's the ticket! If you stay aware of how the exercises are affecting you, and give your PT feedback, they will be able to modify it for you to achieve the desired results. The two-way communication is critical. Some PTs are better listeners than others, and they need to be great listeners and very open to feedback from patients to be maximally effective. Some are dogmatic and sure that what they are saying is best, but there are a lot of good ones out there. Keep on keeping on!
 
Started back to work part time today. :yay: Put in 4 hours which I thought was good. My chair is not as comfy as I remember :groan: but all in all went well!. Good to have some normalcy (is that a word?) then PT this evening. Did some cooking this weekend. Was a bit sore from being on my feet a bit more but not bad. Trying to push some but not too much. Anyone use WII fit for PT? My therapist said the some of it was good for regaining balance and building core muscles and control. Might have to look into it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom