Guest viewing is limited

THR It's all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I am feeling some discomfort with every step :cry: Feels different than muscles soreness, more like where the prosthesis is - more femur discomfort. Still only taking Tylenol - I did take 1000 mg this morning at about 7 a.m. and still feeling the discomfort 3.5 hrs later. I am wondering if I am overdoing it a bit. I also worry about the prosthesis loosening or the bone not filling in around it like it should. For PT we were doing work on balancing on boards and a side step to work glutes and quads. I also do 10 minutes on a thingy that looks like a stair stepper but more of a recumbant bike. Worked 4 hours yesterday. May only work 3 today as I have a meeting this evening. Josephine - I hate to tag you - but I could use a little advice. I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow.
 
Honey, you can tag me any time you like for anything at all. That's what it's there for and what I'm here for.

Can I start out by reminding you that you are still only 3 weeks out and what you are doing is FAR too much. All you are feeling is just post-op pain. More about that later.

First I suggest you slow down and make your PT slow down too. She is not in charge, YOU ARE and she's moving you too fast! 4 hours of that is also far too much. Hips really don't need PT at all. They have a neat way of sorting themselves out is allowed to get on with it. All this exercising is not only unnecessary but may even cause tendinitis which I know you don't want! I suggest you try working only working 30mins a day maximum and only on a couple of the days that you don't go to PT.

I would also like to know why you are only taking Tylenol? You need more than that. Why aren't you still taking what you were prescribed? I spoke with you about that before, didn't I?

I also note that you seem not to have been left the recovery articles which are essential for understanding how to manage your recovery.

First is the BoneSmart mantra
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Then the articles:
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Short answer is that you are in charge of your recovery. You need to read and understand how it works. If you want to ask questions, tag me. But don't ever let yourself be driven by PTs, a sense of guilt or a fear of pain meds. I'm here to help and advise you - use me.
 
Shadow09, I'm so sorry that you're not feeling as well as you have been feeling :sad: . I think the answer may be to slow down...I'm just trying to be subtle and gentle. It's much better to heal slowly the first time, then to try to heal after a relapse. Please be careful and do less than you think you should be doing. Keep me posted about what your plans are... :console2:

Nancy
 
Honey, you can tag me any time you like for anything at all. That's what it's there for and what I'm here for.
Can I start out by reminding you that you are still only 3 weeks out and what you are doing is FAR too much. All you are feeling is just post-op pain. More about that later.

First I suggest you slow down and make your PT slow down too. She is not in charge, YOU ARE and she's moving you too fast! 4 hours of that is also far too much. Hips really don't need PT at all. They have a neat way of sorting themselves out is allowed to get on with it. All this exercising is not only unnecessary but may even cause tendinitis which I know you don't want! I suggest you try working only working 30mins a day maximum and only on a couple of the days that you don't go to PT.

Thanks Josephine! We are so lucky to have you here to help us at the drop of a hat! :angel:

Let me clarify that I am NOT doing physical therapy 4 hours a day. I would be dead!! :shocked: I am working at my desk job for 4 hours a day. I am trying to get up every 30-45 minutes to walk a bit and stretch. My physical therapy is twice a week for about 45-minutes. I also try to do a few things on the off days. My therapist seems very aware and is continually asking if anything hurts. When I told her that the modified squats she had me doing seemed to hurt my knees she took that out of the workout and is quite careful about doing things that may hurt knees worse.

I would also like to know why you are only taking Tylenol? You need more than that. Why aren't you still taking what you were prescribed? I spoke with you about that before, didn't I?


Yes, you did. :blush: Here is the thing. If I am going to work part time I need to drive myself to and from work and to have a clear head while I am there. I cannot do that with the heavy duty stuff. Also, I really don’t like the way they make me feel. Normally, the Tylenol works just fine.

When I am home, I try to stay off it and keep it elevated with ice. But there is always laundry, and dishes and fixing dinner and stuff that needs to be done . . .

There are days when I have no pain and can tool around the house without my cane. I always use it out and about. But days like today when I find I need at least my cane are discouraging . . . I want each day to be better than the last – but when I have an ache or pain that I didn’t have yesterday it seems a long time until things will be back to normal. Probably some of the post op blues still creeping in . . .

I do read the articles and I guess I figure that I should be the exception and be bouncing back more quickly than the average person. It may be that Type A personality in me . . . :gaah:

Am I hopeless?? Thank you again Josephine!
 
But there is always laundry, and dishes and fixing dinner and stuff that needs to be done
But you are still only 3 weeks out! There is absolutely nothing that needs to be done! remember this from the Mantra :wink:
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
But days like today when I find I need at least my cane are discouraging
But you are still only 3 weeks out! Stop being negative! Be glad you have a cane to use. Be glad it helps.
I want each day to be better than the last]
Well tough! You are still only 3 weeks out! Don't you know that recovery isn't a straight line, more like a maze?!
Still only taking Tylenol - I did take 1000 mg this morning at about 7 a.m. and still feeling the discomfort 3.5 hrs later
But you are still only 3 weeks out! You should be taking something even if it is 'only' Tylenol. Take 1,000mg 4 times a day regardless whether you think you need it or not. Because, still being only 3 weeks out, it's highly unlikely you don't need it!
 
Shadow09, I think she made her point.... My head hurts from being hit over the head with the facts. How is your head??? Post op blues and Type A personality are absolutely going to conflict with what we've just been hit over the head with. I'll take her advice too... I'm three weeks out. We both need to go slow. Slow and steady. There isn't anything wrong with slow if it gets us to the end quicker, safer, and better.

My doc said that the bone doesn't begin to adhere to the prosthesis until 8 weeks... Imagine the possibilities and problems if we do too much?? Also DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is still a possibility until 6 weeks. Think about what was just done to us. Yikes!!!:friends:
 
Josephine - yes - you made your point. I am 4 weeks out tomorrow. I like your comment about recovery being more like a maze than a straight line. :thumb: I will keep that in mind. I have to say that your comment to stop being negative kind of struck a wrong chord with me. Perhaps I am overly sensitive today, but I am generally not negative. However, I think that anyone going through recovery from a major surgery gets discouraged with progress and recovery from time to time. I also think that it is ok for us to SAY that we are discouraged and frustrated and at times even angry without being told to stop. Yes, we need to be realistic but at times we are not being negative, we ARE being REAL and honest about what is going on with us. To tell us to quit being negative really does nothing to help. I am very blessed to have had the surgery by a great, skilled physician and all the tools available to make my healing including the physical aids and the folks on this board. No one knows our body like we do. I will continue to listen to my body, and take my Tylenol and use my cane do whatever I need to do to heal and become stronger and better than ever before. :SUNsmile:

nmay51 - good information about the bone growth. My OS wanted to wait to do x-rays until 6 weeks, maybe to see if the regrowth was starting. I kind of went into this week with gusto after a good weekend - with a little more activity than I was used to. So far, the first two days of this week have been full with work, therapy and community stuff! I will still work my 4 hours at work each day and I will come home and try to ignore some of the things that I would like to be doing at home and elsewhere. Thanks. I appreciate your support here on the boards - even on my blah days! :friends:
 
Oh Shadow09 You're fine, hon. :console2: Everyone worries about every pain we get, especially if it's new. And most of the time, we feel OK when we're actually doing things - it's afterward that it hurts, so we're taken by surprise. At 4 weeks, we often feel better physically, and that's a time when we can err by doing too much without realizing it. Then we get pain and can't figure out why, because we feel good and felt like we were all healing up quick. It's very puzzling and frustrating, I know.
You are early out post-op, though. Think of it as giving yourself months to heal. Go easy, easy on yourself and on your activities. And rest as much as you can. We all want to get better. The healing happens to us, though, it's not something we do. There's nothing we can do to rush it.
Of course you don't want to take the pain pills - none of us do. But they actually help you heal by eliminating the pain, loosening the muscles and helping to stop the release of stress hormones.
Maybe you can take a quarter of one, with Tylenol, or a half when you get home from work? Or at night when you go to bed. It may be good if you take one when you get sore - and it doesn't have to be before or during work.
Are you able to take any NSAID - like ibuprofen or naproxyn? They can be very helpful for the pain, too. Also don't forget to ice as much as you can, even in work while at your desk. That'll go a long way to helping your pain.

There isn't anything wrong with slow if it gets us to the end quicker, safer, and better.
What nmay51 says is right. Less is more in the case of hip replacement.
You two are great hip sisters! :) You have each other for such great support along your path of healing! You're both doing so well in your recoveries, and the encouragment you provide to each other is so helpful.

Don't get discouraged Shadow09. You're probably experiencing some energy drain, too, and that contributes a lot to feeling down. You'll perk back up, I know you will! You're going through what just about every one of us went through during our recoveries, too. We know how you feel and understand completely. It's normal post-op.
Good luck, ladies. Keep up the good work. We're all here for both of you and for each other! :friends:
 
So far, the first two days of this week have been full with work, therapy and community stuff! I will still work my 4 hours at work each day and I will come home and try to ignore some of the things that I would like to be doing at home and elsewhere. Thanks. I appreciate your support here on the boards - even on my blah days! :friends:

Shadow09 Good for you! It sounds like you have a good plan. Prioritize. If your work is a priority, do it and all the rest is based on how you feel.... In my humble opinion, do less than you think you should/could do. Doing too little is safer than doing too much. Your doing good and I'm giving you a hug right now. :friends:

Nancy
 
Shadow09, Good morning hippie friend! I'm here checking up on you. I do subscribe to the philosophy that "no news is good news", but I sure would love to hear how you're feeling! I hope yesterday was a better day.
:kittykiss: :puppysmooze: :ok:

Nancy
 
I think she made her point.... My head hurts from being hit over the head with the facts.
I'm sorry - didn't mean to hit quite so hard!
[Bonesmart.org] It's all good!

Yes, we need to be realistic but at times we are not being negative, we ARE being REAL and honest about what is going on with us. To tell us to quit being negative really does nothing to help
Ah but you missed the point. My 'negative' crack was only in reference to the cane - nothing else! :wink:
 
Thanks nmay51 - I am feeling better today! I took @ByGosh's advice and took half an oxycondone when I returned home yesterday and it seemed to help. Thanks! I have therapy again today, so I will probably do the same.

Josephine - I did get that your comment was only meant for the cane. Sorry, I may be a little overly sensitive and I really do think that attitude is an important part of our recovery. Unfortunately, like you said it is a maze and I get a bit lost in the woods sometimes and it can be a bit discouraging. But what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?
 
Shadow09, You've just put a great big smile on my face! I'm so glad you're doing better... that and I'm watching Ellen. She'll put a smile on anyone's face. :) :) :)

Nancy
 
Ok, what a difference a few days make!!! :happydance: Today was a fantastic day. :spin: :egypdance: My son's girlfriend is staying with us . . . love her to pieces . . . and we took a short trip to a local monastery. Very quiet, very peaceful. Picnic lunch and great conversation. Then on to a classic car show. Son and DH probably wish they were with us, but oh well!!! I am a bit tired but I have been walking around the house, fixing dinner, etc. without a cane and with no limp!!! No pain. I did switch from Tylenol to ibuprofen - which I have taken for years with no ill effects and it is working beautifully!! I am feeling great and for the first time today, I was walking around and actually forgot about my hip!!! Yahooo!!!! I know that I may have some days that it will not feel great, but today has given me a glimpse of life to come!!!

Hope my hippie friends are doing well. randy62, nmay51, ByGosh sandpiper sqwerlie akphip bottomshollow and Josephine (no tag because I know that drives you crazy) and everyone else - thinking of you today!
 
Shadow09:) :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :dancy: :egypdance: :happydance: :yay: :tada: :SUNsmile: :spin: :cheers: :heehee: :rotfl: :loll: :martini: :yes!: :yes: :wink: :ok: :snork: :goodpost: :thankyou: :yahoo: :friends: :bicycle1: :flwrysmile:

I'm so happy I had to throw all the good ones in there for you!!! Your day sounds like a dream! The best part was for the first time in a long time, you forgot about your hip. How perfect is that!!!! I'm so thrilled that you have a glimpse of normal life. How very encouraging is that.

I'm not there yet, but you're a little ahead of me, so I'll be happy to follow suit in a little while. I'm so excited at what I have to look forward to as well. I definitely still need the cane to get going, but I end up leaving it somewhere around the house and I have to find it before I sit down. Those first 5-10 steps are still painful. Not doing those without a cane, no sir! I hope that tomorrow just gets better.

Sweet dreams my friend!

Nancy
 
Shadow09 I am so happy for you!!! It's so funny because I just this morning told my daughter that since this surgery my new catch phrase has been..."what a difference a day makes"!! From one day to the next there is huge improvement! I haven't used my cane since the end of the first week post-op with the exception of at night when heading to the bathroom. But there are definitely times when I notice that I just don't have my energy level back up to par yet. It's a slow forward moving process but one we will get through (together) and one day real soon I know we will all be saying, " remember when.....and boy just look at us now!!". I had a few unfortunate things go on this past week so I missed cathcing up with your posts. Just read back a bit and saw Josephine's comments ( with the baseballl bat! Ha!!!) She's tough...but tough love is the way to go right???? LOLOLOL I don't know a whole lot but my feeling is let your body dictate what's too much and what isn't. If we listen to it...it usually doesn't steer us wrong. How's your head by the way??? :shocked: :heehee:
"I'm sorry - didn't mean to hit quite so hard!
[Bonesmart.org] It's all good!
"
 
Shadow09 What a good report and a great day you had! :yay:
The best part was for the first time in a long time, you forgot about your hip.
That's so true, and you'll have more and more days just like that. Keep up the good recovery. You and your two hip sisters sandpiper and nmay51 are all doing great and it will just keep getting better for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom