Guest viewing is limited

PKR IT Band Issues<

@Celle thank you...I do put the pressure on myself to do more than I should. My cat Kermit loves my ‘dynamic structured recovery program’ hahaha,,,he loves to lounge with me on my elevation wedge.
 
[Bonesmart.org] IT Band Issues<
 
Go ahead and vent. You're right. It is frustrating. You are used to being on-the-go. Now, suddenly everything has temporarily changed in your life. How can you not get depressed now and then?

It's so easy to overdo. We feel a little better and don't know when to stop. And sometimes it's just worth it. We know we will pay the price and set back our recovery some but we do it anyway and enjoy the moment. We just have to make sure to not do that too often. Housework does not qualify!

Vacation is coming soon. Give yourself a present and just rest, elevate and ice - and maybe enjoy a little eggnog while you do it. And vent all you want!
 
@MSgirl yes,,,there have been some days that I have overdone but it was so worth it,,,for instance when my bestie took me out for a manicure! I’m looking forward to my week off for sure. I will do some fun things,,,but will definitely rest as much as I can
 
@funkymuse he is my bud! Kermit is a total mama’s boy and lounge lizard for sure. My first week home he would lay with his head on my bandaged leg. Like he knew and wanted to make me feel better.
 
Back in 2009 when I was first investigating my back pain the chiropractor I went to ordered 2 therapeutic massages. It took me 2 days to recover from them!

A few years before that I had a relaxation massage, and that hurt me a lot, too! For me, never again!
 
@Jockette good to know..it’s not something I want to do if it will cause set backs. I get this odd feeling like I need to stretch all over a lot, and definitely have struggled with restless leg at night. Hoped maybe massage would help with that. I had to get up last night and walk all over the house to try to relieve some of the restlessness.
 
Looks like we should all take some lessons from Kermit on how to relax.
 
I think my body is just really sensitive. I never liked anyone giving me a neck massage, you know, the way friends do sometimes.

My current chiropractor calls me her “less is more girl!” Small wonder that the Bonesmart way works better for me than PT did!

It turned out with my back that I have 2 herniated disks. That second massage person really worked it hard. I don’t think that’s the way to treat herniated disks! Nothing like getting more pain while trying to fix pain! I don’t go to that chiropractor office anymore.
 
@Jockette ouch!! The back issues must be so painful for you. How do they treat the discs?
 
I saw 8 different doctors/chiropractors in about a year and a half. One was a pain management who put a total of 10 shots into my lower back over 6 months and not one helped. Then he wanted to burn the nerve but I said no to that.

The last doctor sent me to PT, and I must admit, it was a good experience. They gave me some simple stretches that were easy to do. At that point I was also going to Weight Watchers and had lost close to 20 pounds. My back got much better at that point. I’m not sure if it was the stretches or the weight loss or both.

But, I don’t do the stretches anymore and I’ve gained the weight back and my back is not any worse, so who knows.
 
@Jockette your surgery was considered a partial correct? Just out of curiosity how long did you OS say your new bionic knee would last?
Back pain stay away!!!!
 
Well, I did ask him at my 7 month check up and he said 10 years. But I already knew that Bonesmart says it could be a lot less.

I have more faith in Bonesmart than in my surgeon, so I guess we’ll see how long it lasts.
 
What did yours say?
 
@Jockette I get this odd feeling like I need to stretch all over a lot, and definitely have struggled with restless leg at night. Hoped maybe massage would help with that. I had to get up last night and walk all over the house to try to relieve some of the restlessness.
Oh man I feel you! I am so used to getting my heart rate up by alot of walking the hills in my neighborhood and it will be awhile before I can to that. My body needs movement and stretching badly. I do some stretches every night and end up walking the house a couple times late in the evenings, for the restless legs thing which I used to have years ago but it had gone away for a very long time until this surgery! I find that at night since I am laying here for hours, my body wants up! So as tired as I am, I get up and walk around the house for awhile and it settles the restlessness back down.
 
He said 10-15 years...and at that point I would have to have a total done. Based on my recovery and what others have posted I’m realizing I probably should have opted for the total. He did offer it to me but I decided on the partial because he told me my recovery time would be cut in half. Not!!!
 
@funkymuse the restless legs seem to be a common thing after the surgery. It’s an awful feeling! Especially when all you want to do is sleep.
 
I was not offered a total. I thought by catching my arthritis early this partial was all I’d ever need.

Everything I read beforehand said quicker recovery, etc, blah blah blah. I think the only thing that was true is that my incision is smaller than what I’ve seen of the total’s. And I guess, technically, it was “less invasive “ by default because they only replaced one part compared to 3.

I was shocked, and a bit angry, when I found Bonesmart at about 4 weeks post op and read recovery takes a year! And that this probably won’t last the rest of my life.

At 9 months I have more limitations now than I did with the arthritis before surgery. I wish I had waited until I needed a total!

Oh well, nothing to do but move forward.

But I know a lot more now and if/when there’s a next time, it will definitely go different. I will not go to PT and not even my surgeon will be allowed to push my knee to where he wants it. Been there, done that!
 
Back
Top Bottom