Guest viewing is limited

PKR IT Band Issues<

Hello @pm1207
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
First thing: can you show me the site of your pain using my charts? I'm leaving both because you haven't indicated where your pain is

[Bonesmart.org] IT Band Issues<


[Bonesmart.org] IT Band Issues<




After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
The pain that I have is in the following squares: SR1F, TR1F and DRF1. I have pain in my right hip, and across the bottom part on the right side of my right knee, just to clarify.
You may ask me some questions.
 
SR1F, TR1F
That is certainly Trochanteric bursitis
This is most likely ITB (ilio-tibial band)
Both these will have been caused by too much exercising.

As for the questions, here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] IT Band Issues<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine ,

1. Pain level ranges from 1 to 4

2. Very occasionally I take ibuprofen. Also have an RX for Meloxicam 15mg which I only take when the pain level is higher, typically once or twice a week.

3. Slight swelling

4. Extension 0 degrees....Flexion 125 degrees

5. I was icing when it was the most sore, but I will admit that I have stopped since the weather became so cold

6. I elevate daily for 30-60 mins

7. I perform normal daily household chores, I walk quite a bit a work including up and down stairs about 4 times a day. I do not exercise.

8: No PT, was previously seeing a chiropractor which was helpful, but the copays were pricey. I do a stretch here at home, I cross my ankles while standing and raise my arms up and bend to the side at my waist until I feel the stretch in my hip and knee. I hold for 15 secs and repeat 3 times. I then switch sides I do this about 3-4 times a week, once a day.
 
8: No PT, was previously seeing a chiropractor which was helpful, but the copays were pricey. I do a stretch here at home, I cross my ankles while standing and raise my arms up and bend to the side at my waist until I feel the stretch in my hip and knee. I hold for 15 secs and repeat 3 times. I then switch sides I do this about 3-4 times a week, once a day.
I believe the question actually was
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each​
 
My reply was that I do it once per day , 3 times with each leg
 
1. Pain level ranges from 1 to 4
3. Slight swelling
Plus the swelling, your pain score would be 3-6.
2. Very occasionally I take ibuprofen. Also have an RX for Meloxicam 15mg which I only take when the pain level is higher, typically once or twice a week.
For those pain scores, you need more than this. I suggest
a) you don't take ibuprofen which is an NSAID. Not only is this a poor pain medication, it also has significant and hazardous side effects as detailed here Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
b) you would be better of using Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day​
4. Extension 0 degrees....Flexion 125 degrees
That's pretty good!
5. I was icing when it was the most sore, but I will admit that I have stopped since the weather became so cold
Okay
6. I elevate daily for 30-60 mins
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Elevate for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
7. I perform normal daily household chores, I walk quite a bit a work including up and down stairs about 4 times a day. I do not exercise.
Okay
8: No PT, was previously seeing a chiropractor which was helpful, but the co-pays were pricey.
Okay

at home
cross my ankles while standing and raise my arms up and bend to the side at my waist until I feel the stretch in my hip and knee 15 secs x3 then switch sides
I do this about 3-4 times a week, once a day
.
We recommend that hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
@Josephine Thank you for the advice, I have been taking it easy, and ended up going to the chiropractor for some relief of the hip pain. He is fantastic, does stretching and pressure points to loosen the muscles. The knee pain comes and goes, and I try to rest it.

I have another question for you. I have noticed since my surgery (right knee), that the heels on my left shoes are splitting vertically. I have never had this issue before, and am thinking it must have something to do with having the right knee fixed. I do have some wearing on my inner left knee as well, but it's not ready for surgery yet. Any ideas?

Just as a side note, I don't wear high heels, I wear boots in the cold weather to work daily, dressy just below the knee boots with about a 2-3cm heel.

The chiropractor did mention that my hip issue was probably bursitis. I appreciate all of the info about it.
 
Last edited:
I have noticed since my surgery (right knee), that the heels on my left shoes are splitting vertically. I have never had this issue before, and am thinking it must have something to do with having the right knee fixed.
I think this is more likely the remit of a chiropodist or podiatrist.
 
Back
Top Bottom