Guest viewing is limited

PKR IT Band Issues<

All of us recover differently. The critical thing is to listen to your body. It’s beneficial to do as much as you can and damaging to do too much. You have to pay attention to find the balance.
I also had a partial. I had a wonderful PT who was gentle but also encouraged me to do as much as I could. I went to massage and had deep tissue massage, but I was lucky to find a practitioner who had worked with knee replacements before; she was a great help. I also went to acupuncture and that helped. I went to PT twice a week for 4 months and gradually got more difficult exercises. I generally didn’t do too much and erred on the side of caution. I was nervous about hurting my knee and often my PT provided reassurance that I wasn’t hurting myself. I am now 9 months post surgery. I can walk pretty much as far as I want. I ran 5 miles today on a hilly trail. I still experience some swelling after a workout, but it doesn’t impair function. Neither my PT nor my surgeon was concerned about the mild swelling. I feel like my surgery was a success. Before surgery, my knee had deteriorated to where I needed a cane to walk.
As to PKR v TKR, none of us know how long our joint will last. My surgeon says the materials are constantly getting better, particularly the plastic spacers. My PKR is a Stryker triathlon done with MAKOplasty; there have been improvements in the process even in the last 9 months. Since my surgery they have started using honeycomb titanium that encourages the bone to grow into the titanium. The point is that what happened to someone in the past might not happen to you.
I did not have an easy recovery. I had pain almost all over my body. My back pain was so severe, I couldn’t stand long enough to cook green beans. I stayed on oxycodone for 6 months. I think a lot of my pain was due to having my knee realigned as it was so out of place. I also worked to correct posture, gait, and leg strength to keep from damaging my new knee. On top of that, I think I became extremely sensitive to pain post surgery. I think my nervous system became more responsive to pain and it was hard to deal with, but that all past.
It can be hard to stay positive, but most of us come through this and are able to return to our lives. I am hoping to do a walking tour in Portugal this coming spring.
 
I just want to be able to go about with my day and be able to do things without feeling pain and exhausted.

I wish I could show you what your life will be like in a few more months. Your stage of recovery right now, just past the early weeks and not yet at the point where you see the major improvements, is THE most frustrating part of recovery. You feel better, but your knee is still incapable of doing all the things you yearn to do. It can’t walk for hours yet. It can’t even stand long enough to do a day of cookie-baking. You are still feeling that horrid energy drain that knocks you down for the count, even when you haven’t done much that day. It’s a miserable stage and one everyone who has this surgery goes through.

It helps if you can find some non-active ways to pamper and indulge yourself. Massage sounds wonderful, with the caveat that it should feel good and not cause pain. Mr. Shoes massaged me at about your stage and while I regretted the next day that I had lain on my tummy and my knees got a bit stiff from that (seriously? Just that?) it was a lovely experience.

One of my favorite mantras for recovery was “This too shall pass.” Because it does. :friends:
 
@bill 3/20 and @SusieShoes I think I will find a gentle masseuse and treat myself over school break...I’m need to try harder to stay positive and try to think of the end result. I guess it’s better to be down and out in the winter when there isn’t as much to do. Hoping I will be ready to kayak by the warmer weather and be able to walk around with ease. Tomorrow marks 7 weeks since surgery...
 
Question....I have an area of spider veins that I have had for over 10 years. They are on the outer side of my shin area on the opposite side of my knee where my replacement was. They never caused me any pain. In the last week or so they have really started to hurt. It’s a weird sensation since the outer side of my knee is mostly numb. Irritation from the surgery??
 
I have no information on the spider veins but 6 to 8 weeks is when I started feeling better and doing more. Hopefully you will start feeling a bit better soon. Just be super careful not to over do things on the good days.
 
@smarttoys I’m really hoping I will turn that corner soon. I do think that I would be further along if I hadn’t returned to work at 4 weeks. Can’t change that now, and I have to remind myself to slow down.
 
Re the spider veins, I think you’re just might be having nerve pain whic we call “zingers” - usually a sign the nerves cut during surgery are knitting together.
 
In a few weeks you’ll feel so much better. My PKR is great. I love it! Hope you’ll love yours too when you get over the first difficult weeks.
 
@SuperSnapper I really am looking forward to being able to walk well again and not feel exhausted and wiped out!!! I’m glad to hear that you have had good results. It’s very reassuring to hear from people who have had the surgery and have had positive results.
 
@SuperSnapper I’m glad you’re doing well with your partial! I hope I will like mine, also. I worry about it not lasting very long.
 
I don’t worry at all about mine- no point. It’s three years old so far and doing well. My other knee had a micro fracture in about 2002 and was supposed to last 5-7 years but 15 years later is still OK. It will need to be done at some point but I’m taking every day as it comes. My mother was a worrier and worry never changes anything- just makes the wrinkles deeper!

For now my new knee is strong, pain free and means I can get on with life. However long it lasts, I will always be glad that I had it done as I’ve been able to do so much on it.

We are so lucky we can have this surgery - my grandmother was crippled with arthritis and spent the last years of her life in pain and in bed.
 
I think I will find a gentle masseuse and treat myself over school break...
I like that plan. Also take it really easy over break.
 
@kneeper I am really looking forward to resting over break! Swelling in my ankle is ridiculous today.

Can anyone explain the “tight band across the knee” feeling? I thought there was a link titled that but I can’t seem to find it.
 
Wow...this has been a super tough week. My entire body pretty much feels like I’ve been hit with a truck! Aches and pains everywhere. Have had this issue off and on over the last 18 years and no one knows why. My exhaustion is overwhelming. The one saving grace is that I do sleep very well at night. Finding myself alternately grouchy and sad....my poor family. I feel like such a negative force, people at work ask how I am and I’m honest, I feel like ****!!! I made a PT appointment for Friday with one of the therapists who is super gentle and uses the electric muscle stimulation machine..not sure what the medical term for it is. Have had it done 3 times before and my knee always felt so good the next day. The secretary at the PT place gave me a hard time when I said I would only make appointments with 2 out of the 6 therapists and that I would not schedule with my initial therapist because she was the one who forcibly bent my knee and seemed annoyed when I felt pain. When I am home I’m elevating and constantly icing until I go to bed. Next week cannot come fast enough!!!
 
The secretary at the PT place gave me a hard time when I said I would only make appointments with 2 out of the 6 therapists
You are the customer and you are paying for their service. It is your right to choose whomever you want to work with! Same on her for giving you a hard time. It's their job to please you, not the other way around!
 
Aches and pains all over your body - well for me I found out I was super sensitive to certain foods, ingredients, etc. You might look into that... I can't do dairy, gluten, corn, wheat, coffee, sugar, vinegar, and several other things. I've learned how to cook with other things and I don't suffer at all. There are so many alternative ways to eat now that keep me healthy. BUT I had those awful aches and pains and fatigue for years and I find that if I indulge in any of the substances that I discovered caused it, they come back! So I know for sure that's it.
AND I'm super sensitive to medications ... so I was SO sick during the Oxycodone ordeal.. just horrid, so I had to get off of it as soon as I could. I only take tylenol now - max dose - and it does keep that pain edge I have with my knee down.

I hope this helps you a little! It's hard to deal with constant pain... :sorry:
 
Thank you @funkymuse ...the aches and pains are super frustrating to deal with on top of my knee hurting. My diet isn't the best. Were you every tested for Celiac's disease? I was at one point and was told it was negative. I had an endoscope for my reflux issues and the gastro did the test during that. I never really thought about food being the issue. I definitely have a dairy sensitivity though. I cannot drink milk at all. I really should look further into the diet issues and see if any eliminations can help. I appreciate your input.:)
 
Back
Top Bottom