Guest viewing is limited

PKR IT Band Issues<

@pm1207, I'm glad you will have time and space to take care of yourself at work! Best of luck to you, and may the enjoyment of your job will overshadow the additional discomfort you may have!
 
Hi and boy do we understand. I am at 8 weeks tomorrow and not 90 degrees. I went back to work at 3 weeks. New job and I needed the insurance. I started with 4 hr days and started 8 hrs last week. Swelling is horrible everyday. Even a sitting job and I still swell. If you can look at my thread- five week failure. I got great, helpful responses :)
 
I understand your dilemma. I was a teacher and know how hard physically hard it is. It seems to me that what you are doing regarding exercise and activity is not working - you need to work, I get that, and some household stuff has to be done but your health as a mum to a large family has to come first. Please try to work out a system where you do the minimum at school and home and rest and ice as much as you can. I know once you go back to work, everyone will think you are back to normal that just happens and this is not the case. Your full recovery will take many weeks yet. As mums we get carried away by our responsibilities but sometimes we need to put ourselves first. I don’t know how old your children are but helping out will be good for them too. Best wishes for your recovery
 
All of the stuff listed under PT is what I do in PT...not at home
It doesn't matter where you are doing it. You shouldn't be doing all that. Listen to the others. You'll set your recovery back no end with all that. Please stop it. That's why I posted this article Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to? You have a right to say no.
 
I liked PT from the perspective of things like practicing how to do steps, working on my gait (years of a bad gait due to bad knees to unlearn), learning exercises I could use later and to have an opportunity to check in with my progress. But my appointments were only a 1/2 hour so we didn't do a lot of exercises each time.
In one way I felt like I should be doing more to make the appointment "worth it" but really it was about right.
 
Thank you all for your support. Has anyone tried compression sleeves on their knees to help with swelling while up walking around?
Still pretty disappointed in the state of my knee right now, the PT on Monday seriously messed it up. I have scaled back and am just doing some stretches to try to loosen up a bit. Icing and elevating but haven’t seen any progress with that. I sit for at least an hour with the ice on. I even iced today at my first day back to work. Nervous to see what the orthopedic will say on Tuesday. I definitely have lost ROM since Monday.
I was good today. Got home at 2:45 and have been on the couch since, I definitely want to rest it more.
 
Has anyone tried compression sleeves on their knees to help with swelling while up walking around?
Don't use the sports type and don't have them over the knee. Flight knee highs will be just as good.
the PT on Monday seriously messed it up
Did you read the advice I left in post #17? I suggest you go back and read it again!
I definitely have lost ROM since Monday
Yes, some weeks of abuse will take a similar amount of time to recover from. This is not a quick fix.
Nervous to see what the orthopedic will say on Tuesday
I think you need to remember whose employing who in this situation! HE is your employee and is being paid handsomely to do a job. YOU are his employer and you call the shots! Be assertive and don't go in there quaking at the knees! You're paying him enough not to be chastised for anything. Discussion is okay but not being angry!
 
@Josephine: I, like @skigirl did, have been using the thigh highs that I got from Discount Stockings and they help my leg feel like the swelling is being held in and supported. I only wear them during the day. I was advised by my nurse and the surgeon to wear them.

Why do you advise not wearing the thigh high or that solely directed at pm1207? Thanks for any info on this! I certainly want to do what's best for my knee!
 
Actually, I'm glad you picked me up on this because it reminded me of my own experience. I was given knee highs for my first knee and they were too tight so I refused to wear them. Hence my feeling that full length would be uncomfortable. But for my second knee, I was given full length TEDS and they were very comfortable! So my bad!
 
I had to stop wearing the thigh highs after 2 weeks. They were causing pain and bruising. They were obviously too tight, and the NP at the orthopedic said to just stop wearing them. I unfortunately have very large thighs, which makes it super hard to find any that would fit.
 
I used compression sleeves that I bought at my running store and found they helped reduce/prevent swelling and improve function. I am at 8 months out and have good function, but I still wear them to the gym or on my walks if my knee is a little sore.
 
Have you tried contacting Discount Stockings @pm1207? They might have some suggestions for you. They are VERY helpful...

@Josephine thanks for the clarification! :)

@bill 3/20 yes I'm finding that too! Anything to reduce the swelling!!!
 
I found the thigh highs to be very comfortable. I could not keep the ones from the hospital up---they gave me a large. I am 5'3" and weigh 140lbs!! They would just fold over and the top would fall down around my knees!! I bought some that fit from discount surgical stockings and wore them for about 6 months, off and on. I have thin legs---all the weight is in my bottom!!
 
Thank you skigirl, funkymuse, bill 3/20 ...I will look into Discount Stockings.
 
My PT had me use something called "Tubigrip" to provide mild compression. I thought it worked pretty well. There is a medical supply type pharmacy that's part of my health plan--same place that supplied my toilet seat riser etc.-- and a staff member measured and cut the right size from a roll. Perhaps your PT could advise.
 
I had good luck with thigh high compression stockings from JOBST and Juzo. If you get the correct size and the correct amount of compression they are very comfortable and helpful in keeping swelling at bay. I went to a medical supply store to be properly measured. I started using them shortly after I returned to work at my job where I am on my feet all day. I wore them for approximately 6 months at work and any time I knew I was going to be moving and running around a lot. Like hiking, playing with the kids, and running my dog in agility.

The stockings were also helpful with scar sensitivity by preventing it from rubbing on my pants.
 
Thank you @skigirl , @funkymuse and @bill 3/20 ...I will look into Discount Stockings.
Can you not use multiple tags, please? Users with mobile devices report that it makes it very difficult for them to access a post very well as the get in the way. Also your friends who have previously posted to you will be watching your thread so there's really no need for them anyway. I have deactivate those tags.

We do have an official announcement about this Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts

I have edited your post of the coding.
 
Tomorrow marks 6 weeks since my PKR. I saw my orthopedic today and she was very happy with my progress. I’m only 1 degree away from being able to get my leg completely straight and slow steady progress with a 95 degree bend.

PT has greatly eased up after I told them I didn’t want my knee forcefully bent. They have been very gentle and using a electric muscle stimulation machine that really makes my knee feel fantastic the next day.

Going back to work has gone well, I managed the whole day today with no cane! I also have been walking up the stairs at work, not down yet! Some days suck, and I feel awful and down, but there have been many good days mixed in. The swelling seems to have improved some.

I have noticed that my incision is now super sensitive to anything touching it. Anyone experienced that?
 
I have noticed that my incision is now super sensitive to anything touching it. Anyone experienced that?
Oh yes, most of us have that incision sensitivity. I found putting a large bandage over it so nothing would touch it. Some people have found that wrapping the knee in cling wrap helps, too.
 
Sounds like you're doing well! :thumb:
 
Back
Top Bottom