Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ironman makes it to other side

OOPS! Just got back from up North.
Knee is not quite ready for backpacking rougher terrain.
Ice & elevate & pain pills.
Temp got down in the low 30's one night.
That would be Fahrenheit for those that live Celsius land.
 
Hi @ironman60 was this your trip up North? You were away a while. Sounds like you maybe overdid it a bit but knowing you, you will be back up and raring to go in no time. Did you have a good time? Was it hiking the whole way with the backpack and popping a tent at night? Of so, that low 30's would have made for a chilly sleep!
 
No didn't tent. Stayed at a friends cabin. I do love the cooler weather & have camped in the mountains in the teens & snow. Was just sight seeing but I got into a logged area & was tough to get through all the down tree tops. Went down pretty hard again & had a hard time getting up out of the snag. Did get some swelling & pain but should be good as new soon. Actually hurt the back more than the knee. Sometimes I wonder what a 60 year old man is doing out there but if you die doing something you love to do then it is all good.
Don't worry I plan on sticking around & I will keep doing the same things. Just have to go slower maybe. :martini:
I did stop at a local watering hole that has fantastic pizza. Took 3 beers to wash it down & then I slept great.
Fortunately I didn't have to drive then or home.
 
@ironman60 sounds like a good time dispite the oops. We don't do tent camping anymore, we got a camper. We just can't get up off the ground as well as we use to. Hope your back and knee are no worse for your fall and will be fine in the morning. Slowing down for a little while might be a good idea. Glad you found some good pizza, always a good find. Have a good evening.
 
Yes, sleeping on the ground is way tougher than it used to be. Even with good equipment.
I bought a cot a while back but have not used it yet. Not to convenient to carry it some places.
Pretty stiff yet today. Especially my back. Iced the knee this a.m. & will rest for a few days after I get the mowing done. :bored:
 
@ironman60 Sorry you are still in pain. Ice is still your friend! We don't get out and walk around here much expecially in the summer. Too hot, humid and buggy. In a few years we plan on moving to the Oregon coast. We will get out a lot more there. I hope.
 
Had my dental appt. today. That was a non event. Took my 4 pills & went.
They are showing an Anti Gravity Tread Mill on the news just now. Maybe I could moon walk.
 
@ironman60 I've seen those on tv. For therapy, I believe, so you can move your legs without weight on them.
Wouldn't it have to go backwards to moon walk?:heehee:
 
Happy that your dental appointment went well.
I have never heard of a zero gravity treadmill. What will they think of next??
 
Hi All. I have been MIA for a while. Traveling & spending time with the Grand Daughters.
They changed the look of the Forum. Been trying to catch up on reading posts.
Not looking that good on some. That's unfortunate as there are many good people on here.
I wish I could carry their pain for them so they could get back to normal sooner.
Knee has been doing pretty good. Took the 3 year old to the County Fair, zoo & even climbed a Fire Tower.
That was tough on both legs. Then we were horse playing & she socked me right on my knee cap.
I got my but kicked by a 3 year old. It only hurt for a day or two. Tomorrow is the first official day of my retirement. Have a work party at 11:30. Hard to believe. I plan on going North in three weeks for a few weeks.
Will try to get caught up. Take care all.
 
Guess I have been gone a while as I found myself on page 13.
Hard to catch up as many of the people I went through with are still here.
Retirement has been great & it is hard to slow down.
My knee couldn't be better. I hope everyone is doing well.
It has been like I have got my life back & got 10 years younger.
I am very thankful for the help I got on this Forum.
 
Great Report!
Thanks for updating your progress. I appreciate all the supportive posts today on others threads.
 
I knew you would do well, but i was abit worried about you pre op, with all the other medical conditions, or was that Phil. Anyway these implants are miraculous. I actually feel 30 years old. I Just need to lose a few pounds like 20 of them . I go to the gym 3 to 4 days a week and do 40 minutes cardio and 1 hour weight training and thats after 8 hours on the block cutting meat. Its great you get to go out and hike , camp etc. Now with that new knee. Way to go . Best wishes , Iceman
 
Good report, I am happy that you are enjoying moving around again.
 
Thanks @pumpkin. There are so many really kind people on here.

@icep707 Great to hear from you. Sounds like you are doing great. I'm guessing work got easier. I hope.
I managed to lose 10 more pounds in the last 6 weeks. I think because I hit the ground running & been keeping so busy that I don't have as much time to eat. My biggest problem is that I love food & have never been full in my life. I am working hard on portion control but it is not easy. 20 pounds less on the new knee would sure make life easier. I did have a couple issues before the new knee. Lyme Disease for 30 years which is under control at this time & Back surgery 3 months before the knee. That went extremely well. I am watched over & very fortunate.
Take Care.

@skigirl Whitefish Montana. How lucky is that. I'll have to see where that is. I've driven through Montana & spent some time on the West end. I actually got to camp for 3 months while going around the Lolo Trail which is mostly in Idaho & runs through the corner of Montana. One of the few places in the lower 48 that still has Grizzly's.
I didn't get to see any & none stopped by for lunch. I could run faster back then. :bolt:
Looks like you have been on your new knees for a while. Are you able to ski?
 
Work is a piece of cake !! First 2 weeks every minute was torture. Now i just have to deal with the mental aspect of working with 6 other comedian jerks for 8 hours a day. Best wishes , Iceman
 
Whitefish is in the Northwest corner of Montana---we are three hours north of Missoula---50 miles from the Canadian border---20 min from Glacier National Park. Yes, I have skied ont he knees from year 1!! I had the first knee replaced in May and I skied in December. Second in April and skied Dec 1. (had to hike up the mountain, carrying my skis!!! and boots!!)

last year I skied about 95 days---not full days, but days. We have had a Grizzly running through town. There was a black bear in our yard a few days ago---last night he ate the neighbor'sf bird feeders---even tried to get into the galvanized can!! Fall is an exciting time. I hiked in Glacier the other day and you could hear the Big Horn Sheep butting heads as they fight over their women!!
 
WOW @skigirl that is very impressive. Sounds like a great area. The leaves should be beautiful also. I suppose the Elk are about done bugling by now.
They are so impressive to listen to. I'm guessing you have some altitude there. When I lived in Colo. I lived at 8,000 ft. in Wisconsin I live at 400 ft. Quite a difference. I can't believe you skied that early. One good wipeout might hurt. I guess the trick is to not wipe out. Did the cold bother your knee? It got down in the 30's here & my knee felt a little stiff. Don't know what to expect when it gets below zero.
 
I wear wool long underwear when I ski---so no, the cold does not bother me---I really have never noticed it. I have wiped out plenty --especially last year when the powder was so deep. But---it takes a lot to hurt that metal implant!! I asked my boss if he saw a difference in my skiing after surgery--and he told me that I skied a lot better that he could see the difference in my balance.

We are at 3500 feet in Whitefish, the mountain is 7000 feet. We have more red blood cells---when I was in Indiana, my son and I rode in a 100 mile bike ride. he is 39. It was fun and so easy compared to riding in the mountains!!
 
I hiked this summer into the backcountry. One night, we were talking about bears---we had to hang our food from 50 foot poles. We also wore plastic coats for cooking and eating and then put them in the food bag so that we would not smell like spaghetti in our sleeping bags!!! Then, as we sat around the campfire we heard the howling of wolves. It was thrilling and spine tingling!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom