TKR Ironman makes it to other side

Had my last appt. with my OS today. I think I will be 12 weeks out on Monday.
Nothing more to do except exercise which I do any way.
I did a 4 mile hike the day before yesterday & that went well.
Been wearing shorts lately & the scar seems to be a good conversation piece.
Still some healing going on but not bad considering. :hiking:
 
@ironman60 Good to see you are doing well. I had a check up at just over 10 weeks instead of 12 because I wanted to get an OK to play golf sooner. However, I am scheduled for another OS visit in 3 more months, so roughly a 6-month check up. I am somewhat surprised that this was your "last" with your OS.
 
Hey Phil, my Doc didn't seem concerned at all with all the activities I have been doing. He thought it was good therapy. Maybe it is like my back doctor after my surgery in January, I asked him if I could shoot my bow. He said "Why do you ask? You know you will do it anyway" I only tried Golf once but I can imagine that you use every muscle in your body between walking & your swing. Had fun but I have too many hobbies now. I hope he gives you the O.K. soon. I didn't have these surgeries done to not be able to do the things I love. There was a post on the forum from a gal that was skiing & even doing moguls. That was after a year. That hurts just thinking about it.
Doc probably read the report from the PT also. I know he couldn't justify me coming in anymore so the insurance wouldn't OK more visits. At least you can golf most of the year in Texas. Maybe you could go to a driving range & hit a few. That way you won't have to walk yet & when Doc says OK you can hit the ground running. Good Luck.
 
@ironman60 My OS "officially" gave me the OK to play golf at that 10 week visit. Four weeks prior to that visit he expressed concern about my falling going up and down slopes, getting in and out of sand traps (like I really hit the ball into them ;) ) and slipping on wet areas. His concern had nothing to do with actually swinging a golf club. Since I had gone to the club a couple of times and just rode around with my friends, walking up on the green and tending the flag for them, I knew how to be careful and that I could navigate the course and uneven ground with no problem - I just had to be careful. So just like your "you know you will do it anyway" scenario I was actually hitting balls and played a couple of times before he gave me his official blessing.
 
Hey Phil.............Da, I went back & read all your posts. I guess you are golfing a little bit.
I thought I was active. Holly Molly. Maybe my OS just doesn't need the money. :rotfl:
Don't know but he did do things different than most on here. Congrats on your golf game, sounds like you are living the dream. I said I had Mountains to climb yet & I will post a pic when I get to the Mountain Top.
Won't be this year but I am ready.
 
Hey Ironman - just found your thread. Congratulations is all I can say. :wowspring: Except for the fall and waking up during surgery (ugh!!:eeeuw: ), it sounds like you have had an exceptionally wonderful recovery. Well done, dude! I hope you continue on the same path so you get to that mountaintop on your schedule!
 
Hi @NightQuilter, Thanks for the well wishes. I didn't mind waking up during surgery. Must have been the funny juice. Sure seems like it should bother hearing my leg bone cut off. :yikes: Been pretty lucky on the recovery.
I actually asked Doc why the saw sounded so dull like it was binding. He said he was feathering the trigger trying not to cut off an artery. Maybe too much info. :scare:
 
Ironman, I was wondering where you been. Im glad your recovery has been successfull. Its truly a miracle. See you at the mountain top sooner than later. Best wishes . Iceman
 
Hi @ironman60, congratulations on seeing your OS for his final appointment. You are clearly on the right path if you don't have to see him again. It is nice to get your life back I imagine! Keep up the freat work.
 
Sorry to read about your fall. I took a fall as well as I stepped out the door of my house. I fell on the ceramic planter and down 2 granite steps onto the brick with my dress nearly over my head. LOL!! My first thought was "MY KNEES!!!!!" But they were fine. My lower back took a little twist, and the right side of my gluteous maximus was pretty bruised. Luckily only Mark was around and no neighbors witnessed my "lack of grace".
 
Thanks all. It is a miracle. @ParamedicGirl Sounds like you were pretty lucky also on the fall.
I sometimes forget that I had my knee done & don't think about what I am doing. I just landed on the cement floor & laid there for a while wondering what happened. My wife was right behind me & it scared the crud out of her.
Sounds like you went for a pretty good ride. Too bad Mark didn't have the video cam on. :wow: You can laugh if it didn't hurt too bad. Plus if you would have got hurt your coworkers would have had to pick you up in the ambulance. Glad you landed well.
@tiredwife, 3 weeks out is a tough time. Glad you are there for him. That's about when I thought I made a bad mistake getting the knee done. Everyone on here said it will get better. It is tough till you turn the corner.
Have to be patient & don't rush it plus do the Bonesmart mantras. The folks on here are very wise.
 
@ironman60 I asked him just now and he said he is still glad he got it done because it is only going to get better. He is a tough guy, he has been in so much pain with his joints for so long. His other knee should be done in August.

We have been married almost 37 years, we are there for each other.
I wish you a speedy recovery
 
That's it @ironman60 - we enjoy it so much we do it again. :rotfl:

I know a couple of people that are holding off getting it done. I lived with pain and cortisone shots for so long before my OS set me straight. Now that I have had it, I wish I had done it a few years ago. I am not looking forward to the actual surgery and recovery of my next one but I am excited about what life will be like when I have recovered from both.

Can't wait to get to the stage that you are at.
 
OOPS, another minor setback. I hope. For the last 3 days I have had vertigo pretty bad at night & in the morning.
I thought I must have pinched a nerve or something. Never had it before but it is scary. I've been over doing it as usual. So instead of hitting the ground running I have to try not to hit the ground at all. Someone said it sounded like my ear crystals. Never heard of it so I looked it up on the internet & it described my symptoms exactly.
So now I am trying something called Epley's maneuver. If it doesn't improve I will see the Doc on Monday.
Always something.
 
@ironman60 I have had to have the crystals in my ears reset before. Actually a physical therapist did it for me in one session and then showed me how to do it myself. You'll have to sleep in a recliner for a few nights after the adjustment to give the crystals time to settle completely in place. I also had to be careful not to tilt my head back while I was washing my hair in the shower. All things I'm sure they will tell you. I had mine reset a couple of years ago and never had a problem since. Good luck!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom