Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ironman makes it to other side

Wow, I just popped by this thread and I am so impressed with you @ironman60 and @skigirl you pair are awesome! You rock! I've had a rotten recovery but just undergone a revision which even though it's early days feels easier already.

Just reading your posts and knowing that at some point normality can and does exist is inspiring. I thank you both for this. It's exactly the news that I needed. I've not been able to go fly fishing for three years now and really miss it. Now it looks achievable.

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! :thankyou:

All my love to you both Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27 I also had a revision and my knee is much more stable. The good thing about fly fishing is that the streams are so cold it will be good for your knee. I hear the fly fishing is really good in Scotland---have you been?

I am an artist and often carry a sketch book with me. I was fishing and saw some great stones, so I stopped to do some drawings of the patterns on the stones. My husband who is 6'6" (SORRY, we Americans are metrically challanged!!) but, that is very tall---at any rate, he was walking down the Green River in Wyoming yelling at me that I could not just stand in one place, I had to move around or the fish would see me.

Suddenly there was total silence and I looked up to see only his hat floating in the river!! he had walked into a very deep hole. I was laughing so hard, it was difficult to get him to shore---then I just sat down and laughed some more!! Whenever anyone mentions fly fishing to me I just see that hat floating and start laughing again.
 
Hi @skigirl, No I've never fished Scotland. I've visited but never fished it. I used to fish in Wales a lot. It's beautiful. The problems arose when I couldn't stand for long, couldn't carry a seat as well as my bag and as for "going" behind a bush, well I couldn't crouch so that was the end of that. I have said that maybe I should get one of those bottles to wee in xxx by the way I much prefer to work in feet and inches. I still get bamboozled by the metric system they introduced over here. Gee whizz your hubby's a foot taller than mine!!! That was hilarious about his hat floating downriver!!!

The funniest thing i ever saw with my husband was when we were fishing in Wales. A sheep decided to keep baaing at him from the bank. I yelled across "hey your girlfriends here,". I won't repeat what he said but it did involve sex and travel. Well as I went to cast, I heard an almighty splash! I thought he'd slipped or something. Well, I could not believe my eyes, this sheep decided she liked him so much that she swam out to him. I didn't even know that they could swim. I've only ever seen dead lambs in the water ditches. Anyway she swam outright by him still baaing, by now, I'm on the floor crying with laughter so hard I couldn't breathe. She swam right in amongst the lily pads and dived! suddenly his rod doubled over and he thought he'd hooked her but no she surfaced and swam away from him, turning her head periodically to baa at him some more. He ended up with a 41/2 lb Brown Trout. I shouted "you owe her one". Again I won't repeat what he said but he was very excited. I still couldn't fish for laughing. If he'd come back and told me that had happened I'd have accused him of storytelling.

@ironman60 I apologise for derailing your thread, please forgive me. I won't do it again honestly xxxx I hope that your are keeping fine and well x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
No problem @Nana moon 27. Both stories were very funny.
I don't fish so much any more but I have gone over my chest waders & it is all ways fun trying to get them off.
Seems like the water creates a vacuum. That would be tough with a bad knee.
Since I am now retired I am thinking of taking up ice fishing again. The fish seem to taste so much better then.
It is so hard trying to schedule 52 weeks of vacation. :egypdance::happydance:
 
We recently had a very experienced fly fisherman drown---he fell in a hole and it is hard to stand up with waders on---they float to the top and your boots end up over your head. In fast moving water, it is hard to get back up.

My husband always had to wear a belt on his waders---so that the water would not come into the waders and fill them up. He wanted me to do the same--but my waders were a men's (in those days they did not make women's waders) small---they were so tight that not even a drop of water would have been able to make it into them!!

I like ice fishing too--and the fish do taste better because they stay fresh on the ice. I like the little hut and the beer coolers!!!

Before you know it the weeks will be filled---enjoy this time of not being busy!!
 
I bought my husband a flotation device like a collar, on impact with the water it automatically fills up to keep the person afloat head up. It cost me quite a bit. Guess where it is.......and it's never been used. I love the sound of the ice fishing. Love to you both xxx
 
That is tragic to go that way. I all ways think if you die doing something you love to do it would be fine but then you have to think of the people left behind.
Most of our fly fishing is done on meandering streams. The rivers, like the mountains can be very unforgiving.
I have a pair of the newer neoprene waders with separate shoes that drain. They are tight & if it is hot out you end up stewing in your own juices.
 
OOPS, I hit the wrong button. I had to laugh when @skigirl said she had to wear men's waders. With your husband so tall if you used his you would have to cut holes in them to see.
@Nana moon 27 that seems to happen to a lot of my stuff. Too much to take but it sounds like it would be great to have when you needed it.
Watched the total lunar eclipse at 5:30 a.m. my time this morning. Don't know if you guys had that in your far off locations. Even had some shooting stars with it.
Take care.
 
Hi @ironman60

That was funny about the waders he he he!!!! Cut out eyes that's hilarious!!!

Wow, no lunar eclipse here. That sounded awesome, shooting stars too! My kinda night.

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Hi @ironman60
Welcome - yep I kept hitting the button whether I needed to or not lol. Glad you are through to the other side, sounds like you are doing just great.
Best wishes for the coming weeks,
Deb
 
Bob's waders are an XL tall---I once told him that I was tired of looking at his belt buckle, would he please get a nice one!! I am 5'3" and he is 6'6". we met after I put a personal ad in our local paper in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Cheerful, attractive red head interested in meeting a man who is happy!! Must like dogs, music and children. Bob answered and the rest is history---we are 23 years later!!

But, I have never borrowed any of his clothing---he wears a size 15 shoe!! Traveling with him takes all that I have got!!
 
Ah @skigirl what a lovely experience. Oh I'm ever so pleased things worked out for you. You were truly blessed there xx

He really is tall then and a size 15 shoe. Wowsers!!! I thought the belt buckle was funny xxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxo
 
Welcome @happymum Yes my mind is not quite as sharp as it once was.
Pretty funny though.
@skigirl, that is a great story & it sounds like you ended up with a great life.
Wowser is right on the size 15's, He probably doesn't even need skis. :snork:
 
Hey ironman , just dropping by , all is great over on the west coast. You probably heard about the earthquake some 20 miles away from me last month. Really much to do about nothing. Being a lifelong san Francisco bay area resident . We just sit still and ride it out. So glad you are well and still sticking around, God bless, Iceman
 
Hi @ironman60 , oops my mind is evidently not as sharp as it once was - thought you had just had your knee done but i see now i was wrong. Nice to meet you!
 
Hey @happymum wait till you get old. Then you really lose your mind. :dubious:

@icep Glad you are still around too. My sister lives out there & they have quakes pretty often.
My Niece thumbtacks a string with a little weight on it to the ceiling so she can see how bad they are.
They think I'm nuts for living here with the snow, cold & tornados. I think they are nuts to live there with the Earthquakes, mudslides & fires. Not to mention the crazy people. Not counting you though. :snork: Take Care.
 
Back from vacation again. Had a great time with friends.
Got lots of hiking in & saw many critters including bear wandering through the woods.
The wolves were very vocal at night & sounded like they were right in the yard.
The 22nd was the anniversary of my Daughters death so this is my way of dealing with it.
Love the solitude up there. Most of the leaves are down up there. We still have a little color but it is going fast.
I finally was able to hurt my knee & back I was moving some brush & twisted my leg & fell on my back on the cut logs.
Back to ice, rest & pain pills. Will be going to a Horse show with the 4 year old Granddaughter tomorrow.
She is in 2 classes. One is in costume so she will be riding as a Princess in that one.
My wife will drive & I will stay off the horses. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Hi @ironman60

I'm so sorry about your daughter passing away 22 years ago. My late mother in law said to me after she buried her daughter, who died from breast cancer aged 38; "you expect to bury your parents but never your kids". She was never the same after this. A very thoughtless individual (her sis in law) said that she didn't understand why my mother In law was so upset when she'd still got 15 other children. This woman never had any children. My mother in law lost her best friend as well as eldest daughter. My mother in law never really spoke again to the sister in law.

I'm sad to read about your poor knee. That's awful poor you. At least you've the sense to deal with it immediately and not play the hero. Fair play to you x

I'm sure your granddaughter will do you proud x I think it's so lovely when they have a hobby like that. Four years old is amazing!!! Wow!!!

I've had both mine stay over last night. It's nice is we all sit on my bed and chat.

Anyway, take care and I'll pop back to see you really soon xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27, I hope all is well with you.
The Horse show went great. My Granddaughter got a Blue Ribbon for first in her division & a huge bag of treats for first in the costume division. There was 26 in the costume division with some really cute ones. We put the 2 year old on the horse & she was thrilled. Something about girls & horses. This could be an expensive hobby.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom