TKR Ironman makes it to other side

Thanks for the info @midwest girl. I watched some of the videos on the internet on how to fix it & it is some what better.
At least the severe spinning. Always nice to have things happen on the weekend so I have to wait till Monday to see the Doc. :swoon:That sure is a nasty feeling. I hope mine fixes as well as yours did.
 
@ironman60, so sorry to hear about the vertigo. That must be awful! I have never heard of ear crystals. My mom experiences vertigo at times so I will check it out. I do hope you feel better soon. Did you go to the doctor today?
 
Well, I didn't go to the Doc today. I have been resting & the info on the internet actually worked well. It seemed too simple but I did what they called Epley's maneuver which supposedly moves the loose ear crystals to a place where the body dissolves them. Yesterday wasn't bad & today was good as new.
Guess I forgot I am still healing & had worked off a ladder above my head for 5 or 6 hours plus I mowed trails in the woods which bounced me around pretty good. Slow learner I guess. :rolleyes:
 
So that's how you figured out your profile name. You are some sort of super hero! :)Happy to hear you are feeling better. Take care of yourself and don't over do it!

Have a great weekend!
 
Pretty funny. More like a super healer & very lucky.
Being watched over by a guardian angel doesn't hurt either.
I will try not to over do but I do have a few trips to the North woods coming up.
I guess that would be the South woods for you. Ha.
 
I just realized I told you to have a good weekend. It is only Monday :) The Canadian holiday has my week messed up. That and today was my last day of work before my surgery. :flabber:

Where is the North woods and what do you do up there, or should I say down there?
 
Back when I was working that was always my goal, wish everyone a good weekend when leaving work on a Monday!

:cool:
 
Yup, I knew it was Monday but I wasn't going to say anything. :egypdance:
I had a few early posts that I got confused & couldn't finish.
You have lots on your mind. When I go up North on the next trips I will be by the U.P. of Michigan on the East side of Wisconsin. I have a couple friends with cabins there. Will hike, visit & maybe practice my fishing as I haven't been in a while & I haven't been in a boat for a year now. There is a new State Park near there that I would like to get to. I have been to all but four of the State Parks here. Will see a few people I went to High School with a long, long time ago.
 
Sounds like a great trip @ironman60 - good luck with the fishing(or soaking worms if you don't catch any). Sounds like you have a great trip planned. It is always good to see old friends from high school. I am co-chair on the planning committee of my high school's 50th Anniversary - we will be having a massive reunion of 5 decades in 2021 with smaller events leading up to it. It has been a blast seeing old familiar faces. Have a great time!
 
Well, the knee is still doing pretty well. It still lets me know when I start over doing.
Have to replace the garage door opener. That should be fun.
I have my first teeth cleaning since the new knee so I called my OS's nurse & she said I have to take an antibiotic
ahead of time for the rest of my life. Dang, I thought it was only for the first 6 months. Anybody else run into this?
 
Hey there Ironman ! Its been awhile , so glad to hear your knee is doing well. It is pretty amazing. Im 5 months today and 110% happy with it. My knee hasnt felt this stable since the 80s. As for the antibiotics , I just picked up some for my first teeth cleaning on the 23rd of this month. But you mentioned FOREVER !! Thats new to me , in fact never heard of that before. My GF works at a dentist office . Ill ask her when I see her later today about the forever thing. Keep up the great work ,Best wishes , Iceman
 
It has been written about before and a number of studies have been done and it seems inconclusive as to whether antibiotics are really necessary for any procedure once one has had a joint replaced. Some say yes, some say no. You can always say you took them even if you didn't and no one would know otherwise. I have other reasons for having to take them but I would in any event as anything that might even remotely help avoid an infection in my knee(s) is worth taking. That's my

[Bonesmart.org] Ironman makes it to other side
 
Hi @icep707, glad you are still hanging out here. Last I read your back was doing better at work.
That's great news. Probably had to use muscles you didn't need for awhile. Pretty fast paced job.
Let me know what the GF says. I was pretty surprised but the receptionist at the Dental office said it wasn't uncommon & that once they know what the OS gives me they can prescribe it next time.
Hope things are going well for you.
@Phil75070, Thanks for the 2 cents. They look pretty used so I thought they were your ball markers for golf.
Not sure I even get the connection of getting an infection in my knee from having Dental work done.
Sounds like I take it an hour before my appt. Haven't picked it up yet so I don't know if it is just one.
Maybe they consider other existing conditions. I have had Lyme Disease for over 30 years now & take a very strong anti inflammatory pill for that. They check my Liver & Kidneys every 6 months & have me take Prilosec so I don't get bleeding Ulcers just from the pill. They didn't know as much about Lyme D. back then & didn't catch it soon enough. Will see what the Dentist says on the 21st.
@tiredwife, Thanks the ear thing went away rather quickly & hasn't come back.
Hope all is well there. Still love the pic of your husband with the weed whacker looking like the cat that ate the Canary. Busted.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ironman60 Glad the ear thing cleared up quickly. Yes my husband was soooooo busted. I gave up and let him weed whack yesterday.
 
Hi @ironman60. I did not know that the antibiotics before dental work was a lifelong thin either. How odd.

What about getting tattoos? Not that I am planning on getting any but there is likely more of a chance of infection from getting inked than there is from a teeth cleaning.

I will have to ask my OS and my dentist as I have a checkup with my dentist booked at the end of August. How long beforehand and after are we supposed to keep up with the antibiotics?

How did the garage door fixing go? Are you handy or will you have to have someone come in to fix your work after? My husband does handyman work to augment his school bus driving and a lot of jobs come from women that need someone to fix a botched job or a job that was never completed by their husbands. It is a good niche for him.

I find when my hubby is too slow at getting something done around our house (it happens more than I would like to admit. I am like the cobbler's child who has no shoes) I just say, "don't worry, I will get my dad to do it." 9 out if 10 times it is fixed in a week. :)

It sounds like you are doing well with your recovery. That is awesome!

Have a great weekend!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@71Beetle If I was handy I wouldn't have to put a new opener in....Ha.
I do OK, I got the old opener & stuff out & everything else in except the wires for the eyes.
Trying not to over do on the ladder as it seems to mess up my back. I am getting smarter.
I quit today & took the boys (Dogs) on a long walk in the woods. They love it more than I do.
I picked up my RX today & this stuff is new to me. It is called Clindamycin 150MG.
It has 4 pills in the bottle & I take all 4 at once, one hour before my appt. that's it.
I did read a card that I had gotten from my OS & it is too long to copy because I can't type.
It basically says antibiotics for 2 years before dental or surgical procedures & skin or urinary infections.
Or, indefinitely if you have a whole list of things. RA is on the list & immunocompromised stuff.
My Lyme disease would be either of those. They could have just told me that.
The list would probably cover many of the people on here. The RX cost $2.19 Guess I can live with that.
I would think you would need something longer for a tattoo as that is an open wound that takes a while to heal.
Which sounds bad but you just have to follow what you are told just like on here. I just had one redone before my surgeries. A bunch of us got together & gave each other tattoos when we were 15. Boy Mom was mad. Still there after 44 years so it is rather permanent. I had finally found something I liked that would cover it without being to gaudy. It is an old arrowhead. I think tattoos look great on women & are very popular here now. I would say 50% of the women have tattoos that you can see. Some are more like art work. They are also getting some temporary tattoos that are looking much better & lasting pretty well. That way you can try them on. The internet has pages of designs you can look through. I wore my typing finger out.
 
Hi @ironman60. Did you do before and after pictures of your new tattoo? That would be cool to see.

I like tattoos on other people when they are tasteful, they are just not for me. My 19 year old son just got one done on the inside of his wrist. It is a small semi colon. It is actually bigger than I expected it would be or needed to be so I am not fond of it. A friend of mine has a bunch of tattoos and they are very tasteful and look great on her.

The antibiotics seem pretty straightforward. I will look into it before my next appointment.

Have a great weekend!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Didn't think to do a before & after pic but I'm sure there are pics of both.
Got the door done & it works great. Took the boys on another long hike.
I haven't sat on the porch swing for awhile because I couldn't get out of it after my surgery.
Now I found that it works great on my knee to try to get what ever is left to get on my bend.
I just rock on it to the limit of my bend & try to get a little more. Not sure how you know when you are at the point that you are done. Does it bottom out or stop hurting or just not go any farther? :shrug:
 
Thanks all. It is a miracle. @ParamedicGirl Sounds like you were pretty lucky also on the fall.
I sometimes forget that I had my knee done & don't think about what I am doing. I just landed on the cement floor & laid there for a while wondering what happened. My wife was right behind me & it scared the crud out of her.
Sounds like you went for a pretty good ride. Too bad Mark didn't have the video cam on. :wow: You can laugh if it didn't hurt too bad. Plus if you would have got hurt your coworkers would have had to pick you up in the ambulance. Glad you landed well.
@tiredwife, 3 weeks out is a tough time. Glad you are there for him. That's about when I thought I made a bad mistake getting the knee done. Everyone on here said it will get better. It is tough till you turn the corner.
Have to be patient & don't rush it plus do the Bonesmart mantras. The folks on here are very wise.

"I sometimes forget that I had my knee done & don't think about what I am doing. "

Now that is success. I'm bumping it because I want every new person posting here to read this. All you people in the early stages of recovery, this will be you sooner or later.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom