Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ironman makes it to other side

Hi @ironman60

Congratulations to your granddaughter on achieving her blue ribbon. You sound so proud and pleased. Rightly so. It sounds like the little one is a natural in the saddle. I think that's so lovely x yep, there's nothing cheap about girls and horses. I think that it's lovely that they have the opportunity to achieve this.

Lovely to hear from you

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Hi All, Just checking to see how everyone is doing.
I'm still over doing & it finally caught up to me.
Need to slow down for a while.
After numerous vacations & activities I need to stop falling down. :bignono:
The last one is taking some time to heal.
I was throwing brush & limbs off a log pile & I twisted my knee & fell on my back on the pile of cut up logs.
Landed right where my back surgery was. The knee is getting better but the back is going to need some help.
The other dumb one I did was jump out of the back of my truck. Just when I jumped one of the dogs got in my way so I twisted to miss him & landed bad. I keep forgetting that I am 60 & shouldn't jump anywhere.
That one is healing well & I did miss the dog. :puppysmooze: So I need to think before I act even though my body is faster than my mind. :scratch: I hope every one is doing well.
 
Wow @ironman60

Jumping down off a truck!? Double ouch on landing on the log pile. This is going to take some time to heal.

My TKR revision has turned a corner at long last. This week I've walked up the straight part of our stairs one foot per step, one by one, normally. I can't remember the last time I did that. I've started hydrotherapy and it's great!

Unfortunately my mental health is suffering again. However I've got online CBT and telephone support. It is starting to help alongside the doubled antidepressant. I'm a lot better than a couple of weeks ago!

I'm going to ask you the six million dollar question...did you get checked out by a medic after your adventures?

Take care
Try not to have any more adventures!

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
@ironman60 Wow, I thought I was accident prone! You've got me beat! I think you need to fully heal before you add anything else to your list of boo boos. Take care of yourself!
 
@ironman60, sounds like your knee feels so good you keep forgetting about it. Kinda good and bad at the same time. Take care!

@Nana moon 27, not to hijack this thread but hydrotherapy sounds wonderful and it's something I've been looking forward to! My physical therapy place has the special pool and a special therapist and everything. I have asked a number of times, but my therapist says I need more land work. If not for the fact that it's raining and cold I would go "walk" or gently kick a couple laps at my gym's outdoor pool. I will try to find some courage for it- that short walk from locker room to pool and vice versa = .Brrrr!
 
Oh @Ironman I am sorry you have had a couple set backs BUT what the heck..jumping out of trucks is going to have to stop! So glad you are going to slow down! Your back and knee will thank you!!! Its good to know you are hanging in here!! Since my bilateral I am so overly careful its unreal...Im too afraid of falling like you are talking about!! But I do admire you for going overboard and living without fear!!! Great to see your post!!

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk
 
Glad to hear you are doing well. I tried to post to my account and it's locked...don't know why.

I am not running or jumping off of anything. I'm carefully stepping in and out of the ambulances, and doing my best to kneel on "soft" items when it's necessary I do so. It's great to be able to wear heels again (low, not stiletto) and to be able to dance. I have fallen a few times (4), with the first 3 being within a month of returning to work, but luckily, nothing was hurt but my pride as I was embarrassed. The last time, just the other night, no one saw me...lol. I was just a little achy the next day (hey at 54, even without TKRs, is just not what we are supposed to be doing).

Funny story...flew to California in July. I had TSA Pre (where you don't need to remove your shoes and half undress), so I went through the metal detector. BEEP!!..."ma'am, please go back and take off your shoes." I go through again...BEEP!!!..."ma'am, please go back and take off your jewelry." I go through again...BEEP!!!...(me) "I have no idea what I am wearing that is making the detector (then it dawned on me)...ohhhhh yea. I had both my knees replaced in March." "Why didn't you say so?"..."I forgot!" How wonderful it is when we forget!
 
Wow!!! Great to hear from everyone!!!
@ParamedicGirl pretty funny story. Sounds like you are doing great & work is doable.
Life is good. I have not kneeled on my new knee since my surgery. I always put my leg out to the side.
I should practice on a pillow. Nobody has seen me fall. I just lay their for a while, take inventory & hope everything still works then get up & go. The OS said my new knee is stronger than it ever was & that I can't hurt it. Hope he is right because I sure use it a lot. Don't forget to dance like nobody is watching & stay tough.
@suzzee2000 Great to hear from you too. Yes, since my back & knee surgery & my retirement in less than a 6 month period it has been a whole new life. I am like a kid in a candy store (maybe a bull in a china shop) I can't seem to slow down. I thought maybe in the Winter I would. My wife will have to hide my snowshoes. If my brain catches up with my body I should be fine. I just noticed we have the same knee. Works for me & I will still always remember how you helped me. :flwrysmile:
@Clipless You are absolutely right. Thanks for the well wishes & you take care also.
@tiredwife Not really accident prone. Only one booboo for every 1000 things I do. Still love your new picture.
You guys seem as happy now as you were then. How fortunate is that? Tell Hubby I said hi. :friends:
@Nana moon 27 sounds like your knee is coming along. That is great news. Sorry to hear you are having some anxiety. I have had that & it is not nice. One thing that helped was I found that those little green men in my head couldn't hurt me. They just made me feel that way. So I worked hard to make my mind stronger & kick their but.
It is a tough battle but you are stronger than they are. As for the big question, no I have not seen a Doctor since my OS released me for my knee & back. I did see my GP for my annual blood tests & check up. All looked well.
Thank you for caring. You are so sweet. I will behave for a while. Maybe after this weekend. We have both Grand Daughters coming. I was pretty beat up after Thanksgiving & my wife said You should be, you were doing 40 pounds leg lifts with the girls & lifting them up constantly. There again....I forgot. :dancy:
 
@ironman we do these daft things because although our bodies age we still think we are 25 or something!!!! I cannot say anything about doing daft things x x x
 
@ironman60 Hubby says hi! Yes we are blessed to have a great marriage. He always makes me laugh and I usually laugh at his jokes!
 
Hey, I thought it was time to check in again & see how folks are doing.
Next week will be 1 year since back surgery & 10 months since my new knee.
I have learned a lot since my last check in. One thing I figured out was that I always get knocked around & fall & all that but I used to just bounce back up & rub some dirt on it & was good as new. Now it hurts & is much more noticeable. After the surgeries & retirement I hit the ground running with a new life but was way over doing things.
After getting a nasty 2 week sinus bug in December & having to rest & take it easy I felt great & had no pain or swelling from either procedure. So I have been trying to slow down & pace myself. I still seem to push to the edge of over doing but I am more conscious of it & think before I jump. (most of the time) I am hiking 4 to 6 miles a day in bluffs & river bottoms in the middle of no where because I seem to need to get away & I just love the solitude & beauty of Nature even in the middle of Winter. That is where I seem to be at peace. I hope everyone had a great holiday season & that everyone is keeping a pain free positive attitude. There is peace & happiness at the end of all journeys.
 
Hi @ironman60

I'm glad to read you are doing so well now. You've also learnt about slowing down and letting your body heal itself, I was happy to read that. My friend @Legin has been learning the hard way but is doing pretty well now. If you're reading this legin go back 9 posts to #182!!! Ironman, I still think about you jumping off the back of that truck not so long back into a log pile.

I cannot wait until I'm more mobile because the thought of being able to go for a decent length walk just would be the ideal thing right now. My revision I had done the end of September is certainly doing the trick. Trouble is now the other ones gone. I see the OS on 27th.

I notice your new Avatar is taken in snow. We literally have had, barely even a dusting and the rain washed it away immediately.

Please take care and enjoy those walks.

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oooer I got tigged. Your post could.be.mine in many ways always bouncing back.from what life throws at you.then suddenly the bounce goes flat. Infuriating frustration makes us push too much heck I had more dives than.Tom Daley. I have a.thinking.rock the.views great and the.energy used to.get there is a release. can't get there yet but I will. Good luck.in your.journey

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin I must be getting smarter. We had freezing rain this a.m. & I didn't get out there yet.
Good luck to you too.
 
Good to hear from you Ironman! Ah, the lessons in humility and aging ... having to slow down slightly is a beast of a lesson, but perhaps a good one. Your excursions sound extraordinary!
 
Ageing sheeesh is that what's wrong with me. It is a pain accepting I.recently went to my.childhood town.was a shock getting tired on.a.hill I used to.sprint up.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@ironman60 I am so glad to hear your getting use to the slower pace and your body is getting time it needs to heal. The sinus thing may just have been a blessing from above to slow you down a bit and give that back and knee time to heal. I am jealous of your long hikes. Wish I was able to do that. I did ride my bike for the first time around the block yesterday. It felt so good to balance myself again. Glad to hear the good news. Take care and many blessing to you in the New Year.
 
Hi @ironman60 hope your sinus bug is going away some now. Like @hgarcia I envy your long hikes too. Well I haven't given up,hope,yet. Get a few issues sorted and who knows x x x

Hope you're keeping okay and it's not too cold x

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Hi All, Time for my 11 month check in. The new knee is doing great. I'm to the point where I call my new knee my good knee. That is a huge change. I must have gotten stronger as my balance is much better & I have not been falling down. Not much snow here but I was able to go snowshoeing with my wife & dogs twice last month. Now it is just cold but I don't mind it at all. I hiked about 6 miles today & yesterday with -20 degrees F windchill.
I hope everyone is doing well & pain free.
 
hey @ironman60 its Iceman checking in on you. You got to take it easy and not risk permanent damage on that implant. Its not worth it. don't get me wrong, I do a lot on mine too but I modify just abit. for me no more jogging or lowerbody weights. I experienced discomfort and figured no more. now I bike a lot and stair climb at the gym. im alittle over 1 year now and couldn't be happier. take care of your self . Iceman
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom