Knee Infection Infection 6 months can't walk. Need some feed back

I went through two infections after a tibiotomy and had to carry the wound vac around & sleep with it. So I understand your lows and depression.
Luckily my staph was not MRSA. So I only had IV antibiotics for a few days in the hospital.

Doctors are following protocol on the extended IV treatment. As hard as it is take it day by day.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.
 
@Bikesouth , my staph infection wasn't MRSA but I still had 6 weeks of IV and oral antibiotics. No wound vac though it did take 6 weeks to stop seeping.
 
Hi Steve. I haven't been on the site in quite some time but in that 5 months I have been working on recovering from the two stage revision. I had an infection and they took my components out in March and I had the spacer, pic line with antibiotics and no weight bearing til June when the new knee was put in. Recovery was quite challenging as all the muscles had atrophied and I really did have to relearn how to use each one. I am still a little stiff when I first stand but not painful! I can take my dogs for lengthy walks, ride a bike (for pleasure not fitness), and really am starting to feel "normal".

Hang in there and be nice to yourself. Enjoy the computer games and watch silly tv. You have to put yourself first at this point and work on simply flexing the muscles you so have. Keep your chin up and fight the good fight!
 
Thank you for the feedback, I had that one stage revision, and 8 week IV in a SNF, which didn't work, that was 7 months ago . Now my next go around, is this 2 stage revision and another 8 weeks IV.
Having all of you share what you have been through helps me very much.
I keep having to pinch myself and say, "Ok , this is real, this is serious"' I get scared , then I read everyone's feedback and I can accept it and look for a positive outcome.
I would like to send each of you a message, but I'm not sure how to do it on the site.
I have to watch the pain meds, I tend to abuse them, then I get tolerant, I guess I will have to work on getting off them after I'm over this .
Hey I want to ride a bike in the sun
Walk on a beach.
Visit with a friend, I'm isolated now.
Drive a car.
Thanks for your comments and encouragement, I am sure you cannot know how much it means and helps me.
Love to you all


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
Y
October 29, 2015, Spacers
 
You are so nice, thank you , thank you, hugs through cyber space to you


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
Y
October 29, 2015, Spacers
 
Hey I want to ride a bike in the sun
Walk on a beach.
Visit with a friend, I'm isolated now.
Drive a car.
Thanks for your comments and encouragement, I am sure you cannot know how much it means and helps me.
You will be able to do all those things, once you get through this sticky patch. Look forward to them.

We'll all be here for you as you go through this.
 
My thread is a mess.
I don't know how to send any message to thank people, which I want to do very much. Is there a way to learn how I can do this
Is it me? How can I be so stupid and computer illiterate
Can some one tell me how to send message to thank people for there encouragement


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
Y
October 29, 2015, Spacers
 
To thank someone individually, just tag them, like this @Celle . As you type, the tagging will look black but when you post your comment, the tagging will show up in blue, underlined.
Make sure you don't leave any spaces between the @ and their user name, but do make sure you leave a space before and after the tagging.
This article explains:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

We do ask you not to make a list of tags - the reason why is explained in the above article.

If you want to message someone privately (so it doesn't appear in the forum) this article explains how:
How to use Personal Messages (PMs)
 
I got home yesterday, thank you for asking,
I feel like I have been gone for a long time. My house is very active with 4 adult children. They don't have time to baby me, that's good I guess , but I do like TLC..
I went on the sidewalk in my wheelchair and trained my lab to pull me, I was yelling Getty up and mush, it was fun but not going to do it again. To risky. I keep hoping around,, I have to slow down and be careful with my pain meds because my body is very sore from doing so much. It's hard but I must be careful, I have always depended on my strength and it isn't there.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
Y
October 29, 2015, Spacers
 
Your strength will return, I promise! Infection saps you of all your strength, and it takes time for it to return. It will, but it takes time and patience. Hopping around???!!! Don't risk messing up that leg. Did they give you crutches or just the wheelchair?
 
Steve thank you so much! I really appreciate the compliment, and know you will get through this also! We are more than just survivors. We are Warriors!
 
Happy to hear you're home! At least the kids can do meals and laundry (hopefully). It will be nice to be home for Thanksgiving.
 
I can see why it would be tempting to try out your dog's "sled dog" talents. :dogwalk::heehee: but, yeah, you're right--better not to.
I can only imagine how wiped out you must be. That and the pain meds definitely could make you unsteady so be careful. Can your kids take you out for a ride in the wheelchair now and then?
 
You are one crazy man! Having your dog pull you?! Just my kind of guy.

Glad you are home. Your strength will return. Move slowly, deliberately. And notice how your body feels. Better every day, I bet. Hoping for a smooth return to being you.
 
Glad you are home, wise to save the "sled dogs" for later.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but I had to try it one more time. He stopped mushing, he didn't want to pull me anymore. For the better because any crack or dip in the sidewalk and I would nearly tip over.
He just looked at me, and seemed to say," Hey , I'm a city dog , lighten up on me"
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom