Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Infection 6 months can't walk. Need some feed back

Wow. You've certainly had a time of it. I'm glad you stood up for yourself and said no to the torture-ists.

I noticed that someone recommended you contact @Jamie for referrals. In order to get people's attention, you need to put the @ symbol in front of their names. That way your post will show up in their alerts.
 
Hi
Thank you I'm sorry to bother you but I'm trying to get a post to jamie@ , I'm not sure where I write it. You were so kind offering help I am asking for it again, for a referral,
I'm having trouble, I can't write people and thank or ask them question
Thank you in advance
Steve


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yep, here I am, Steve!! Sorry for the slight delay.

Since you say you're in Orange County, CA, here are some options for revision specialists for you. Click on the links and you can read about them. I suggest that you meet with as many as you can and select the one that seems to "get" your case the best.

broken link removed: https://www.orthopaedicsurgery.uci.edu/faculty/schwarzkopf.html - hip and knee primary and revision

Dr. Steven Barnett - hip and knee primary and revision (Orange County)

broken link removed: https://www.jri-docs.com/our-doctors/dr-thomas-schmalzried/ - primary and revision hip and knee surgery
 
Yep, here I am, Steve!! Sorry for the slight delay.

Since you say you're in Orange County, CA, here are some options for revision specialists for you. Click on the links and you can read about them. I suggest that you meet with as many as you can and select the one that seems to "get" your case the best.

broken link removed: https://www.orthopaedicsurgery.uci.edu/faculty/schwarzkopf.html - hip and knee primary and revision

Dr. Steven Barnett - hip and knee primary and revision (Orange County)

broken link removed: https://www.jri-docs.com/our-doctors/dr-thomas-schmalzried/ - primary and revision hip and knee surgery
Thank you I'm having a hard time trying to get
Messages. I also am vey close to Los Angeles , my dr. Said ASAP! Anyone you know in that area


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think you should call the Drs Jamie gave you today and ask how many revisions and infections they deal with yearly. Six weeks in rehab would put me over the edge also. I barely managed 2 weeks.
 
Thank you Kari, I already spent 6 weeks in rehab, you know all the Iv and I had ,like you horrible fever and hives. I talked to two dr. Yeah another six weeks,z they thought it was gone.z theme two months at home. Yes it's crazy. But I guess I have to do it again. The first revision was like your the wash and replacement of the parts. Now it's the spacers. I seen your picture and the young lady with you you look so happy.
Well then I have to stay off my leg a month and after they take the spacer out and put a new knee in and said I would need 3 months of therapy. I'm taking Jamie's advice and going with four opinions.
The ststiscs are 36% failure rate 4 to 10 years of it returning
and 20% mortality rate
But sounds like you did well. I can only hope for the best. I panic . It's been 5 months without walking and I'm a baby sometime and depersonalize grips me. I have a family and I can't take care of them. I just have to toughen up. I feel women are much stronger , you have babies. The pain control is hardbecause I'm Opiod tolerant , it's like a torture, but I will just try and be stronger. I hope you are ok. It will shape me into a better man. I'm exhausted from just walking to the kitchen . Things could be worse. Thank you


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Steve4kids I am quite different from many here at BS, this was first ever experience with a hospital or surgery. I really know how to jump in. But I was a mess when my knee began seeping and found out I would be having an emergency surgery with a surgeon I had never met. God had a plan, because the OS was a revision specialist who was so caring, careful and good to me. Still it took a month to get rid of the infection, but it was prayer that saw me through this mess. My faith saw me through and I'm so grateful everyday that I'm walking, working, biking etc. for nearly two years now. I did everything my Dr said because I wanted to get better. Just when they thought I would need a 3rd surgery the seeping slowed to 2 small spots on my dressing and even my OS considered it a miracle. I'll be thinking of you and remembering you in my prayers.
 
@Steve4kids. Just two weeks ago I was told that I could need 6 more weeks of IV therapy but no surgery. And I remember how I felt as the OS and the IF hashed it out. I had just finished 6 weeks in rehab, was in the hospital after a serious pulmonary issue unrelated to my knee.

Like Karri I have lots of people praying for me and I had to rely on accepting Gods plan. There was nothing I could do. It was beyond me.

Since you seem to have the physical aspects of you knee taken care of, it is time you look into the stress, anxiety you feel. Look for someone you are comfortable talking with. You may need to ask for medication. You are hurting and you need help. This too will take time.

I will pray for you. This is not the best written post I ever wrote but it is from that heart.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Karri and waiting garden,

Thank you so much for you reply. I see 3 revision specialist in two weeks. I take 2 100 micrograms of Fentynal patch every 48 hour, 4 oxycodone 20 ml ., and 4 30 morphine irs. I have been on a higher dose 4 months ago but dropped to this. It was for my back fusion and crushed ankle. So most Dr, that aren't pain management get uncomfortable to give me more,( even though it would do no harm). So I am tolerant , if a normal person took
This they would die. To me , I don't get sleepy or show any side effects . It feels so good when the pain stops, I can think and enjoy some quality of life . I have been on this dosage, actually higher, for 9 years just the way it is. Pain is crushing me. But when I take it I feel normal. So come what may.
Glad to here you will pray for me. Pray that I never turn away from the Lord our holy creator, pray that I will learn to love him. Some times I am so fearful and weak. I humble my unworthy self and try and do his will and pray for his grace the Holy Spirit will come and my soul can rest.
Isn't it a wonder. Than something in this world, my fear or anger and it departs from me. This event is a blessing shaping me into a true man.
It is so helpful to hear from you. The knee is nothing , it's putting me closer to Christ, opening my eyes. I pray to learn how to love him , put him first and to do his will. I pray to teach me to love him
That is what I need. It is beyond me. Faith! What a marvelous path. Some will see and not see, some will hear and not hear. I have the greatest gift of all. I just forget that and go back to that old sinful scared man.
Thanks for reminding me
Love to you
Steve
 
So sorry to hear your story, Steve. I, too, had an infection but, if you look in the Library, you will see that 18 months or so ago I went back to riding a bike - something I thought I would never do again. It was a long, often frustrating, road to recovery but worth it.

I hope you soon see some light at the end of the tunnel. I will follow your progress and will certainly be praying for you. Linda x
 
@Steve4kids i learned so much while recuperating from the TKR and infection, I guess the Lord knew what to do to make me listen and grow in my faith. While praying I often used Ephesians 3:20 "now to Him who is able to exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think according to the power at work in us."
 
The ststiscs are 36% failure rate 4 to 10 years of it returning
and 20% mortality rate
Steve....not sure where your are getting these statistics! We've had many BoneSmarties with infections who do very well after their revision surgery. Please don't worry about statistics. The important thing is to find an excellent surgeon who works with an infectious disease doctor. I'm glad to hear you're going to see several doctors. Hopefully at least one of them will stand out as the one for your particular situation.
 
Thank you. Mostly I hear what friends are coming with, and the Dr. I've been seeing. I've been suck unable to move and I guess I see only the bad. I got messages from there and they ride their bikes. I need to get my mind off my knee for a break. I have had some bad luck with surgery, sort of got stuck in a negative place.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jamie is right, a GOOD revision and ID dr are imperative for a successful infection recovery. I had both and although I don't see my OS for another year, I do see my infectious disease dr twice a year. She runs a full labs on my blood twice a year. During the height of my infection recovery I was seeing my revision dr twice a week and my ID every two weeks. Both were very cautious and conservative, not taking any chances.
 
Steve....not sure where your are getting these statistics! We've had many BoneSmarties with infections who do very well after their revision surgery. Please don't worry about statistics. The important thing is to find an excellent surgeon who works with an infectious disease doctor. I'm glad to hear you're going to see several doctors. Hopefully at least one of them will stand out as the one for your particular situation.

I Jamie,
I'm sorry sometimes I just get so sick I can't type or read

The statistics I read at

https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/659047

Please look at it, and I would like to read something not so negative

C diff, I think I got it right in one of my posting. Got very sick, but doing better,
. I think it is another infection in my knee.
The care in GB seems to be on a higher standard.
Orange County is one of the wealthiest counties in Ca. I went there because I thought it would have better hospitals , wrong!
Even UCLA Med. center and USC Keck have been fined due to infection rates
Our hospitals and doctors got lazy and cut corners, no space masks, some no hepa, air flow.
The infection rates are not posted enough, there will be many more infection with the TKR rate doubling soon
I don't want to scare anyone but in California you really have to study what hospital you choose to have surgery in.
I'm still waiting t get my revision. I seem to be stable, everyday feeling sick but steady not worse.
Thank you for the list
Sincerely
Steve



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I @Jamie,
I'm sorry sometimes I just get so sick I can't type or read

The statistics I read at

https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/659047

Please look at it, and I would like to read something not so negative

C diff, I think I got it right in one of my posting. Got very sick, but doing better,
. I think it is another infection in my knee.
The care in GB seems to be on a higher standard.
Orange County is one of the wealthiest counties in Ca. I went there because I thought it would have better hospitals , wrong!
Even UCLA Med. center and USC Keck have been fined due to infection rates
Our hospitals and doctors got lazy and cut corners, no space masks, some no hepa, air flow.
The infection rates are not posted enough, there will be many more infection with the TKR rate doubling soon
I don't want to scare anyone but in California you really have to study what hospital you choose to have surgery in.
I'm still waiting t get my revision. I seem to be stable, everyday feeling sick but steady not worse.
Thank you for the list
Sincerely
Steve



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom