Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Infection 6 months can't walk. Need some feed back

Help me understand this. The report says that they studied knees who underwent two-stage revision by a single surgeon. Does this mean that all revisions studied were performed by the same surgeon?
 
@Slainte and @Steve4kids the abstract of the study says they looked at 2 stage revisions by a single surgeon. I believe that means the same OS did the original TKR and the revision. The results weren't great in the study, but moderators here on BoneSmart always encourage people to get a different OS to perform the revision with a lot of experience. So in essence the study is proving it's not a good idea to use the same OS. I believe most of us with infection had a different surgeon perform our infection surgeries.

I had a friend who had a TKR last November, her daughter (a former student) called me with questions because they believed her knee was infected, however the OS refused to admit this. He eventually did a washout surgery, but with saline instead of antibiotics, then put her on Bactrim. Of course the infection persisted, for some insurance reason no other Orthopedic group could see her, but eventually she got the name of an infectious disease dr and went to the ER of the hospital he worked at in order to be seen quickly. They admitted her and took her knee out the next day (an OS from the same group did the revision), but had to do several cultures before determining the type of infection because the Bactrim was masking the results. So 2 months later she has the spacer taken out, a new knee put in and she's doing well, getting around, driving, even going to the shore!

Let us know how your appointments go in the coming weeks. There is hope!
 
Hello @Steve4kids

Wow! Thinking back 5 years ago when I was where you are..... I had an infected right knee w MRSA. It burst in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and poured all over the floor... had a washout, debridement, and spacer replacement. This is where my story starts to change from most others. I did not have an antibiotic spacer put in; rather I was on antibiotics for a long time and when the fibula popped loose they put me in a brace. I had a one stage replacement by Dr. Maale in Plano TX. If there is any way you can get to him I highly recommend it!

Today as I was in church, I was looking down at my right leg and thought something looked weird. That's when I realized that for the first time my right leg is as straight as my left without having to think about it. I do swimming, yoga. have lost 180 pounds, piloxing, trained for a half marathon until I broke a bone in my foot, lift weights, cycle, climb mountains, run stairs, etc. Life is great now! I have not had a recurrence of MRSA after having it a total of 8 times before my last revision surgery. Dr. Maale has a protocol like no other surgeon on the toughest cases! :wowspring::happydance:
 
I had just read this on the Internet, I don't know adopt the truth of it but it worried me . I was trying to pass this onto Jamie because she asked me where I got the info from.
I am trying to read the positive outcomes posted here only. We have had an outbreak of C.dif , Mrsa, and mssa in Orange County.
I have to have this procedure done, no questions. So I'm not looking things up anymore just going to do it.
Thank you
 
All the good OS who do revisions are hard to get appointments, the ones Jamie gave me too. They are very busy, UCLA, USC, Hoag Joint center. I have been waiting, miserable, for 6 week. My appointment is Oct. 6 with Revision Specialist. Than some of the best hospitals here have been fined for high infection rates. So I lay here in pain waiting. But you guys telling me success really helps, so , since thi has to be done that's all I want to think on. At least the C. diff is ok now.
 
Yep went through C Diff too! Yuck! Best word for it! There are several antibotics that if overused will increase the likelihood of c-diff. Doxycycline was the one that did me in. I

t sounds like you have a lot of pain issues to deal with.!!

i remember in rehab when they put the pain patch that you mentioned, mine was .37 and they couldn't wake me until the next day! My Mom is a a Nurse and when she came to visit, they said I hadn't participated, I had slept all. Day! Well she tried to wake me and she took the patch off! The next day, the doctor puts on a .25 and back to dreamland I go! Mom was furious because she had told them no more pain patches.. I had told the doctor I didn't need it but he insisted that it would help throughout the day.. Yep! Best sleep in a hospital ever!:rotfl:
 
@Steve4kids ,

Read the article and yes different surgeons were doing the operations. But the point to everything, is everyone is different, some people just want to walk without hurting, some want to challenge themselves, and some are comfortable if they can bend their knee sufficiently to do everyday tasks.

Articles mean very little to me, I would rather make sure I have an excellent Revisionist, Infection Specialist, and a hospital w a great reputation. Also, I believe that attitude plays a HUGE role. Go into the surgery with a "I am going to do great," and your body hears you. Stay positive and I will be praying!

P.S. Articles on the Internet are just that. Talk to people who have "been there, done that, and worn out their t-shirt," if you are looking for facts and support!:console2:
 
Wow, @RestAssured my knee also seeped throughout the night, but it didn't burst open and I also had a debridement antibiotic washout with a spacer replacement. Now if I could just lose some weight! Hashimoto's Disease is making it very difficult, ugh!
 
Waited 5 weeks , got a five hour surgery, spacers in now. Laying in this rehab facility. You were right this infection is a nightmare . No weight bearing. The pain was worse when the bugs were running things.
California sun feels good on me. Getting IV vanco, hope we get them , maybe get a knew knee in Jan.
Thanks for the encouragement, I. Might really get a new knee the hard way.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well you're on your way at least. I hope you don't have to stay in the rehab too long. Do you live in a one story house? That would help to get you home. When was your surgery?
 
Surgery 5 days ago. Laying in the sun coming through the window. Rehabs ok. I live in a two story.
Can't bend my leg for 7 1/2 weeks. I had no choice to get this, now I have to get a new knee in Jan.
Wow these pain meds are working





Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I like rehab. People do things for me. I meet really nice people, they are all messed up like me, get pain meds. Nice after this TKR infection ripped my life in half.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Then I'm glad to hear you're enjoying rehab. It was ok for a few days, but I was anxious to get home. Hopefull January will be here before you know it.
 
Thank you. I'm laying here with that cement spacer, drip I V pic line in me, in a surgical rehab facility. Thank you for the love. I'm ticked off at all the faker therapists and butchering dirty Dr.
So a little sympathy makes me deep breathe and look for my med nurse.
I ok rehab....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Kari,
My home is a miserable place.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I want love, rehab, and meds. To make me forget about my knee. I have to wait 1 hour for more meds.

I also would like to tell all the winning people who are walking - you are blessed.
You're the fortunate ones. The Infection club that you're not in is hell.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry to har about all your problems with infection. C-diff usually occurs when you are on antibiotics for a long period of time. However there are medications to keep that under control. I'm praying that you keep improving every day. Stay strong. I'll be watching to follow your recovery.
 
Hi Steve,
You are really being put through the grist mill.
Sending positive thoughts your way for the infection to be gone, and your revision surgery goes smoothly.

Please post your surgery dates in your thread and a moderator will come along and put them in your signature for you. Thanks!!
It will make it easer to comment knowing your time line.
 
Back
Top Bottom