THR I'm on the other side!!

You seem really content and have made great progress with your slow / easy approach to recovery. I understand your desire to get back to work and it may be okay for you, more time will tell. I will share our Phased Return to Work article for you to ponder all as you get closer to the return date you’re contemplating.
Have a great weekend, new guy! :)
 
Oh my going back to work would be a couple of days a week. Just like your info says. Good stuff and sure makes sense. No stress no real hard stuff. Mostly I am hesitant because of Covid. Our school that I am working at has windows that open. All are masked and 55/60% of the student pop is vaccinated. I might just need to get out of the house:)) But ONLY if I feel stable enough.
 
Hiking walking biking swimming, sitting ;))) drinking fine wines…. :)))
This was and still is my plan also. I didn't run distances like you but did my share of long distance running-- hiking and biking have become two favorite past times.

As for returning to work, I completely understand.. my work is a bit physical and my surgeon gave me good advice... work a day then rest the day after and repeat this until things feel more stable. Glad to read that there is no pressure on you to return. I felt better working some for sure. Helped me mentally. But will say that I loved my healing time off! I remember my recoveries as happy times.
 
Last edited:
Yes, very cool! Exciting too.
You’re on your way.:walking:
 
Do I take a walk around the block ? It is a half mile? I might try . Easy with breaks .
 
Or, you can increase it by a little each day. Go halfway the first day, then turn around, then a bit further the next day, then turn around. That way you can gauge how you feel throughout the rest of the day and the next day before you begin again. Or, you can just go for it with your plan of resting when you feel the need.

Week Four (which you’re starting tomorrow) from the Activity Progression for THR (below)

Weeks 4 and 5
Increase walks around, to 30mins, longer if you feel up to it.

Happy trails! Let us know how it goes.
 
Such great news! way to go! it's great reading this. You've got this!
 
1 mile in 20 minutes. Yikes , slooowww:))) Hip feels great . Still all the other spots are still a bit sore but very. manageable.Used the cane but can walk short distances without it . The cane is helping with my gait . Heel toe ….
 
You’re doing well and sensibly so. Keep up the good work!
Heel-toe does work, my problem was remembering to do it.:hissy: Old habits die hard.
Have a great Wednesday. :)
@newguy
 
3200 steps this morning walk. 1.5 miles. I guess that is good. Icing now. Goal another 3200 steps this afternoon. Been walking off the cane in the house for a 100 steps or so. Cane outside on my walks. It is only day 24 Post Op;)))
 
Try increasing the activity in smaller bits. You did 1 mile yesterday and your goal is 3 today? Doesn't sound very balanced to me. Slow down and enjoy the walks. You are not in training - you are healing.
 
Yeah…what she said:xmark: Go s-l-o-w. :wink:

We do care and don’t want to see you land in ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Not even a quick drive-thru at this point since you’re doing very well! That’s when it SO EASY to over do it.
Hope you have a good one! :)
@newguy
 
I got ya , easy slow stops smelling the clean air . Yea not 3 today . I have been 1.5 to 2 miles Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week . Will be about 2.5 today .
 
Distance and speed when walking did absolutely nothing good for me. Slowly walking with good posture and heel toe straight steps did more. With my first THR I would concentrate on distance and found myself walking fast. Took a couple of passing the points of no return and regretting the walk before I learned. I spent quite some time leaning on a fence post before I could return home. The best walking PT I did was either in a store with a shopping cart or at the local park on the very short flat oval walking track. The advantage oof the walking track was it has benches around it and you could cut across to shorten the walk if necessary.
 
All good today . I use my house as base . I go back and forth up and down the street after the walk around the block . No speed 20+ min a mile . Working on good form since my gait was quazzemoto before. I am following smart info from this site . I am in still pretty good shape . I was riding bike 20 to 30 miles a day up to a few days before surgery. Dinner time ice up and feel good .
 
Impressive to see your doing well. your Great attitude is 50% of the healing. Also very nice to read your practicing walking gait heel to toe. hoping to hear new shoes and good supportive arches are also included with your new walking gate.
 
HA , I bought a new pair of HOKAS before surgery. But been using my Slip on Vans to walk :)))
 
Lol. My slip on Adidas and Sketchers were my go-to walkers. I don’t know how I would’ve recovered without them.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom