THR I'm on the other side!!

Hello @newguy ,
I like your recovery thread. Especially the picture of the cane and the walker. What they say is true: On a forum like this you usually read more about things that go wrong rather than things that go right. So I still post here after all those years to give people encouragement. My hip replacement was one of the success stories. Even managed to run marathons with the new hip. Never had any problems with that new hip. I had left hip replacement, titanium stem, titanium ball with ceramic lining, uncemented. Recovery was quick, but not as quick as yours. In 2015, it was not yet possible to go home so soon but methods have improved even further now. You are doing great. Keep it up. Happy new year. Constanze from Germany
 
January 1 Still crazy warm here for winter which has been great for my walking outside past 7 days!! Day 11PO now , swelling is even better . It does by the end of the day get a bit puffy in the foot but yesterday I was standing and walking outside a bunch . Again now 12 steps with the cane . Will see today . Pain in surgical areas is still a bit after resting but zero pain sleeping or just chilling on the chair and ottoman. Just 3 doses every 24 hours of 400 Motrin and 3 doses every 24 hours of 500 mg Tylenol. I was doing stairs by myself yesterday . I can now get outside and down my front porch all by myself!! Wings are not as clipped as they have been . I know I could drive today if I had to . But will wait until Tuesday and staples removed. Again Happy New year !!
 
Happy New Year @newguy
New Hip, New Year, New Life.
Hip hip hooray:yahoo:
 
Update update :))) walked all around my downstairs with the cane :))) If my glute where they cut me open did not feel a bit fired up I could walk pretty good heel toe. But back to walker for my outside 400 meters in a bit .Again I keep forgetting they cut separated reattached parts inside me just 11 days ago .. Go slo sir;)))
 
Woohoo, I believe tomorrow is staples out day! :yes!:
A nice milestone along the way. I hope you enjoy being out and about in the world and get to take a detour through Wegman‘s on the way home as you mentioned you may. Try a little of Eman85’s shopping cart therapy if you do and let us know how it goes.
Best wishes for a great week!
@newguy
 
Staples out :)) Incision is closed and nicely healing . Take new dressing off tomorrow and if nothing different full shower . I even drove the 35 miles home at exactly 2 weeks . Felt great . Left hip and no narcotics made that happen. Still sore and stiff but everyday is better . 400/500 meters of walking daily. X-RAY looks perfect just got report from radiologist when we got home . 2 weeks and all hardware and bone is perfect as the day it was installed;))) We did blow off Wegmans . Just not in the mood to be around infectious hoomans;))) I will walk around the block later today!!
 
Great update @newguy :egypdance:
Nice to get off the heavy meds and have some of the brain fog from anaesthesia lifting.... makes us feel 'hooman' again.
Now the only problem with all the good news, is someone always wants to pop your happy bubble by being the resident Cassandra....which might be me but only because I learned the hard way.

Easy to overdo... so please take it slow and steady so that you can steer away from the dreaded O.D.I.C.
(OverDid It Club)
The membership qualifications are the repercussions of too much too soon and it can really put a damper on the great mood you got going.
You seem to be a positive fella so that can definitely carry you a long way toward a great recovery and you can get back to life in a bit way.

Hope the rest of your week is SWEET!
 
Only going to walk with walker about 400 meters daily this week . No need to go around block which is 1/2 mile:)))
 
I only took one 5 mg Oxy the night of my surgery. Then I have been on Tylenol and Motrin 3x each a day . Pain tolerance here is pretty good . I mean running 100 mile weeks for years and racing hard on the track and 5K and half marathons fast really hurt :))) but alas . I’m done running. I am never doing this again!!!!! Hiking walking biking swimming, sitting ;))) drinking fine wines…. :)))
 
Hiking, walking, biking, swimming, sitting ;))) drinking fine wines…
Sounds like a plan! I sure you will find the same joy in all these activities. The US has some amazing hiking areas. Start your list now!
 
Nice update, all good news, you’re doing great!
@newguy
 
Day15 . Used the grocery cart as walker and did a slow shopping at Publix Grocery Store. Slow but steady wins the race . Drove home again . 15 miles . :)))
 
Isn’t it amazing what you’re able to do in such a short amount of time?
It feels good to be back out in the Land of the Living again also. At least I thought so. I was also grateful that I wasn’t in a hurry to get back into my vehicle to give my ailing hip a break.
You are making good progress. Happy Wednesday!
@newguy
 
I will say this has been a very different and seriously emotionally difficult time for me . I have never actually felt so vulnerable as I have since I came home. This will pass but I am letting myself go with this down time as best as I can . I am protected here in my home . It really is hard when your wings are clipped .
 
:sigh:
Oh, at about one month out, those same feelings settled in heavily on me....even though recovery was going well.
The majority of new hippies go through the same.
Please read or re-read the article on Post Op Blues....it really explains things well.


Echoing Jaycey.... All Temporary, friend.:ok:
 
Thanks , woke up this morning happy looking forward to my walk around the block and maybe a trip to Trader Joe’s later today . This is a really wonderful site . Thank you all again .
 
Good Morning :wave:
Joint replacement is an adjustment and with more time on our hands, a time of reflection. Being forced to depend upon others does make us feel vulnerable. With each passing month, you’ll gain strength and confidence.

The blues do creep in early on, but often seem to leave just as quickly. The stronger and steadier you become the more you‘ll see the possibility of a brighter future, without the pain that was holding you back. You will replace old activity with new, have an appreciation for little things we so easily take for granted and go on to create new memories as you embrace life again. It’s hard to imagine, but in time, joint replacement fades from the forefront of your mind.

May today be a good one. I hope you enjoy your walk outdoors in the fresh air and your trip to Trader’s, if you go. Buy yourself a treat…maybe some ice cream. Ice cream makes everything better, right? :wink: Look up ice cream in the SEARCH bar above and see how many times it’s mentioned. It’s a tried and true mood booster, lol.
@newguy
 
Did 400 meters outside with cane yesterday. I think I want to go back to work, I sub teach . I am thinking, January 21. That would be 1 month exactly from my surgery. That is a Friday. I will be in the Gym teaching High School that day. All I will need to do is take attendance and sit and stand and walk. I will decide if it make sense as we get a bit closer. Today walk a bit longer with my cane. It feels so good no pain in DA hip!!!!! Now its still sore as in the soft tissue that was cut and whatever they did in there. Oh my incision looks fantastic:)) Healing nicely. I have my N95 mask, I am triple vaccinated so I am not afraid, ... Or am I !! Crazy times we live in. Oh I am driving with no problems at all. Even pumped gasoline yesterday. Just finished a half mile walk outside with the cane. I'm happy.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom