THR I'm on the other side!!

Hoka’s…Had to look them up. Do you love them?
This is the third type of athletic shoe that I was unfamiliar with and read about here over the last couple of months. Feeling like a Plain Jane in simple Nike’s or Skechers these days with all the fancy schmancy brands I’m reading about on BoneSmart. The others were Zeba and Kizik. Both types are Hands Free and I was surprised that I really like some of the Kizik‘s and am considering a pair for when I can safely walk outdoors again. Skechers were my go to slip on in early recovery.

Enjoy your walk today and have a great Friday and weekend!
 
Day 25 Post Op today . Well I basically said goodbye to the cane in the house . I have been walking all over the house without any assistance. Hardly any surgical pain in the areas of the incision and down towards my knee . Only had 1 , 500 mg Tylenol yesterday at 4pm and 400mg of Motrin at 10 pm last night . So day 3 of only 1/2 dose of Tylenol and one 400mg dose of Motrin. Kool:))) Iced after the two times I walked yesterday, cut back to only 4000 steps from almost 5500 steps day before. What my wife said when she saw me walk down the hallway was hey NO LIMP !! We getting there .
 
Not going to lie, early days had me thinking I must have lost me head.:dubious:
But with two equally trashed hips and a great surgeon who deemed me a good candidate, I am super grateful for basically one recovery period.
It is all in perception, but when I see folks who have had hips replaced months apart... One member ONE WEEK apart:flabber:, I think they would've had to drag me in screaming (due to no "kicking" and screaming)

Grateful double hippy Still.:chuckmarch:

Hope you have a Happy Weekend:) :-) (:
 
@newguy It is wonderful to see you doing so well with your new hip! :yes!:

And I'm in total agreement with Mojo333 - I had 2 very deteriorated hips, my surgeon recommended doing both at once and I am super glad I did it that way. Though like Mojo said the first couple of weeks were no picnic.
 
@newguy just been catching up on your journey so far, sounds like you're doing well. Keep taking it slow and deliberate and continue to listen to the cues your body gives you. Amazing what a difference almost a month makes! :friends:
 
Oh looky outside, ice , sleet … no walk today . Maybe later this afternoon when it warms up and changes to rain . … Spinning this around in my head last night . In 6 to 10/12 months I will hopefully be all healed up . I sure would like to just go for a nice slow run again. Not everyday but any day that I should decide. I trust my surgeon 110% . He says running is just not a good idea . Believe me after going through this I sure want to never have to do this again . But running has been a huge part of my life . Just musings in the middle of the night . Kinda still deflated. Still kinda down . I do realize this is normal but it’s sure difficult for me who never has had mental down time . I get up every day with happy cartoons going on in my head and a smile on my face . I want that to continue.
 
We have several members who returned to running post THR. I know your surgeon has recommended that you not run. But I think it's very difficult to give up something that you love doing.
I sure would like to just go for a nice slow run again.
I guess ask yourself - would you be able to take it slow?

Or another option might be power walking or Nordic walking?

Bottom line, the decision is yours. I'm going to tag @Ric A and @Coddfish - two recent members who were discussing running.
 
I do realize this is normal but it’s sure difficult for me who never has had mental down time . I get up every day with happy cartoons going on in my head and a smile on my face . I want that to continue.

Give it time. The more active you become and engaged in life once again, the less you’ll feel this way. Since you’re an active guy, you will find alternate ways to feel fulfilled. You may even surprise yourself in realizing how much you love something you replace running with. Try not to look at it as you “can’t” run, but that you’re choosing not to given the information you‘ve received. And…you may change your mind, but I “personally” feel it wise to avoid the wear and tear running can cause, possibly necessitating a revision at a later date. You will read opposing views on this topic here.
Give yourself a mental break from contemplating it all right now and concentrate on all of the fantastic progress you’re making.
Have a wonderful Sunday!
 
@newguy If you look back into the history of hip replacements, it’s fairly obvious why many in the medical profession are wary of activities that increase the load on the prosthetic. In the 1980s it was fairly common for new hips to fail in their first few years due to periprosthetic osteolysis, a condition in which the bone around the implant effectively got eaten away. The root cause was found to be fragments of material breaking off due to wear on the acetabulur liner. The solution to the prevention of this - highly cross linked polythene - has only been in use since around 2000. So there’s still only limited data on modern implants. Registries, such as the one in the UK, are tracking failure rates by implant type. My implant, as an example, first came on the market in 2007. No-one can yet say whether a large number of them will start failing when they are 15-20 years old, or whether the failure rate will be higher in active people, because we haven’t yet reached that point. What I can see in the UK registry is that my model of implant has the lowest 10 year failure rate of all the implants in use the UK. I am currently 65, I don’t know how many years of running I have ahead of me. I very much doubt it will be the implant that eventually stops me, but I am prepared to take that risk. I do this in the context of the myriad of other health benefits provided by running, which I haven’t found I can obtain so easily from other forms of exercise. Of course it helps that my surgeon sanctioned running - but I specifically sought a surgeon who would.
 
Last edited:
Icy, snowy here, too. Really cramps your style, doesn’t it? Walking in the house was also my go to with adverse weather conditions. It sure beats not doing anything and I would have to get creative to keep the route from getting too boring. Lol. Just be extremely careful when you do venture back outside. You don’t want to undo your progress or jeopardize that new hip with a slip or fall. Stay warm and safe!
 
@newguy If you look back into the history of hip replacements, it’s fairly obvious why many in the medical profession are wary of activities that increase the load on the prosthetic. In the 1980s it was fairly common for new hips to fail in their first few years due to periprosthetic osteolysis, a condition in which the bone around the implant effectively got eaten away. The root cause was found to be fragments of material breaking off due to wear on the acetabulur liner. The solution to the prevention of this - highly cross linked polythene - has only been in use since around 2000. So there’s still only limited data on modern implants. Registries, such as the one in the UK, are tracking failure rates by implant type. My implant, as an example, first came on the market in 2007. No-one can yet say whether a large number of them will start failing when they are 15-20 years old, or whether the failure rate will be higher in active people, because we haven’t yet reached that point. What I can see in the UK registry is that my model of implant has the lowest 10 year failure rate of all the implants in use the UK. I am currently 65, I don’t know how many years of running I have ahead of me. I very much doubt it will be the implant that eventually stops me, but I am prepared to take that risk. I do this in the context of the myriad of other health benefits provided by running, which I haven’t found I can obtain so easily from other forms of exercise. Of course it helps that my surgeon sanctioned running - but I specifically sought a surgeon who would.

My surgeon is one of the best in the USA. Head at Duke, Professor, all the things. He also was and is an athlete. I respect his call. I also have discussed this with many others, doctors, runners on hip runners. I am also 65, I think the ability to run some again will make me try, slow running with Hoka shoes lots of cushioning. The days of sub 19 min 5Ks are over. 100 mile a week miles are done. Just not sure what I will do. I feel so much better but understand this is a Ultra Marathon to get healed. 6,9 or even 12 months. All good thanks for listening.
 
@newguy
I can walk faster than I can run - even before 2 new hips, a knee and a plate w screws my neck.
I was/am an avid CrossFit person. 4-5 times a week. Started at 48 and was in the best shape of my life in my 50s. I intend to go back to it - at a modified version. The great misconception about CrossFit is that it’s a bunch of macho firebreathers throwing heavy weight around. So not true. Yes, they exist but there are tons of people who just want to better their health. Virtually anything we do can be scaled for someone’s fitness and ability level. Do I have unassisted pull-ups anymore? Used to be able to bang out sets of 8-10. But not no more! I happily use the giant bands for assistance. My running was so poor (slow and flat footed) that my coach would have me row or use the Assault bike for running portions of workouts. With the right coach who understands your goals, history, body and limitations, you can do amazing things. I never felt as good about myself as I did there. The community and support is . I know people who started at 65-70! And they say it’s the best thing they ever did for themselves. Perhaps it’s an option for you?

btw- Hokas are all over the place here. My husband wears them. Anyone I talk to says they are great. My friend got those elastic laces that allow him to slip in/out without difficulty.

you seem to be having a great recovery so far….keep up the good work. Oh and as for feeling a little down in the dumps? So normal. Happens to me every single time I have surgery (this hip was # 10 in 3 years and no, none were due to CrossFit injuries!) About 2-4 weeks after a procedure I have a period of time where I bump along the bottom, regret the procedure and start catastrophizing everything- and I mean everything. And every single time, it passes. I think it’s more the exception if someone doesn’t experience some level of “post op blues”
 
For me, regular 5ks and some 10ks is going to be enough. If I don’t do that I know from the few months before my surgery that I am going to gain weight and struggle with my mental health. Suspect that’s all worse for me than a risk of additional wear. I am not a fast runner.
 
I now enjoy hiking,,, vigorously and over some rougher terrain, it satisfies my craving to run.
I gave up running when my old spine injuries began to limit me and it was one of the hardest things.. I loved running. So while it wasn't hip related-- well maybe it was and I just didn't know it yet-- it was a painful event to come to grips with.
Whatever your future holds for you I am certain you will find what fits and it will give you great enjoyment.
The best part is when you are out doing something active and you start to grin,,then beam with the enjoyment that your new, painfree hips will give you!

It's still early days and hopefully your down in the dumps moments ease soon. I remember that phase well, too. :console2:
 
Ah it’s dry outside and the ice is poof gone :)) A 2 mile walk today. It is 27 days Post Op. tomorrow is 4 weeks . Just crazy. I love when I put all my weight on my hip that there is not any pain! Zip nothing, nada!! Walking everywhere in the house without the cane . I think I might sub teach on Friday . One day of work this week . I feel ready and wanting to get out of the house , see my friends and co workers and I have classrooms that windows open wide and double masking plus my booster shot is in me:)))
 
I love when I put all my weight on my hip that there is not any pain! Zip nothing, nada!! Walking everywhere in the house without the cane.

It’s the best! Friday will be your one month anniversary already! Obviously easier for us to go by months, rather than weeks, as you soon will also.

If you’re feeling ready to go back at the end of the week, I hope they’ll go easy on you. Often times when people return to work early, co-workers assume that if your back, you’re back! Back in full force that is. With any luck they’ll cut you some slack.
Happy Monday, hope it’s a good one!
 
Ok but exactly 4 weeks ago right now I was being wheeled into surgery:)) yep at 7:18am December 21:))) Now 4 weeks later I am walking in the house past my wife coffee machine, it smells so good but I don’t drink coffee only high test espresso:))) without a cane!! Oh I have decided that I am not going to go back to work until I see my surgeon on February 2nd. I just don’t need to and don’t want to expose myself to Covid right now while healing . A few more weeks is the smart thing to do . Another 2 mile walk today is the plan and a quick spin through Costco for supplies . A snow storm looks possible Friday/ Saturday:))
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom