Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side!!

@Layla I completely agree with you on this one. I was home after 2 days using only paracetamol and ibuprofen as prescribed with the occasional ice pack. Before 2 weeks were out I had stopped all painkillers. No swelling, no bruising. Limited mobility in the first 2 weeks certainly but no pain. The nature of a site like this means there are going to be more stories of problems than stories of easy passages. I had a blissfully easy passage and 3.5 months on am fully recovered and even back running. Hopefully @newguy will have a similar experience.
 
Thanks for sharing your experience @Coddfish It is always good to hear from others that had a bit easier recovery. While one hesitates to share their good fortune when others are clearly struggling with more pain, it is encouraging for those that are reading here pre-op to understand it’s different for everyone. Believe me, I do worry should I experience THR again, I won’t be as lucky. We never really know though.

@newguy You seem to be doing really well and I hope it continues to be mostly smooth sailing for you. It’s so good to hear you slept well again as our body does its best healing while we’re asleep. Maybe you can even sneak in a Christmas nap. That’s if you can get someone to stop the annoying chirp. :groan:
May your Christmas Eve and Day be merry and bright! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: :banana-santa:
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!
 
Walked 300 meters total yesterday, day 5 today looks like 400+ meters day 6 . Love the swelling that went from my high thigh area down to my foot . Not real uncomfortable but it’s is slowly resolving. Gravity is a thing:))) . Cut back Tylenol to one 500 mg every 6/8 hours . 400 Motrin every 8 hours or so .. So far so good tomorrow is a week already !!
 
Consider elevating for the swelling (toes above nose) if you’re not doing so already.
Happy One Week Anniversary, a few hours early.
A great week to you!
@newguy
 
Goal tomorrow. Walk up short driveway to mailbox and back . Today 200 meters in house and front porch and rear deck . Need fresh air .
That is such a cool thread to follow. So happy for you!! it must be so exciting to be able to have your return to normal life to be at your fingertips! excited to see how your recovery continues. Big hugs from Canada.
 
Ah now day 8 PO, my really beautiful new Cane came yesterday. Well this past 100 mile a week runner still is way off using it!! I will continue to use my walker for the stability. My last year with my awful hip made my gait and limp awful . It is going to take some time to fix it. I walked almost 1/4 of a mile yesterday with the walker . Making sure I am heel toe and bringing my legs through the center line . Oh and this past night ok it’s still 5:43 am but slept in my bed with leg up above heart and I am getting rid of a ton of fluid last 24 hours and swelling is so much less . Pain is still a bit in the areas of incision and itchy:))) plus in leg where muscles tendons etc were moved cut reattached and where swollen. But there is NO PAIN IN MY NEW HIP !!! Do you see my smile?? Yes I had a glass of wine , a small one last evening with dinner. :)))
 
Last edited:
But there is NO PAIN IN MY NEW HIP !!!

It’s the best! You realize the surgery really worked. We talked about emotional times that can bring tears through all of this in another thread and another one for me was the first time I got out of my vehicle, three weeks post op and didn’t have to manually lift my leg, letting it down slowly until my foot touched the ground. Pre-op, it was excruciatingly painful to allow my leg down without assisting it. After the first time doing so post op it brought tears because I was in such disbelief that I wanted to do it again, just to make sure it was my new reality. Great surprises along the way in this recovery. I hope you have many. It gives us a new appreciation for the simple things we took for granted, but could no longer do with ease as our hip deteriorated.
Have a great day!
 
My staples come out next Tuesday January 4. Maybe I can use the grocery cart as the walker / Cane to shop at our nice big Wegmans Grocery store on the way home?? Today 9/10 PO and feeling even better as my swelling is really resolving now. Goal again today 400 meters of walking .
 
Great to hear swelling is subsiding.
Maybe I can use the grocery cart as the walker / Cane to shop at our nice big Wegmans Grocery store on the way home??
You may want to see how you feel after your appointment.
Good to get out and get some normalcy and relief from the cabin fever that can set in.

@Eman85 often touts the shopping cart therapy program.:heehee:
 
I’m glad to see that you’re not in a huge hurry to get rid of your assistive devices. They’re tools just like anything else. You use them until you don’t need them. Those long pre surgery struggles do wreak havoc but everything comes back on line with patience. One of the most comforting things my surgeon said was “it just takes the time it takes.” Took all the pressure off. Blessings for continued good healing.
 
I’m glad to see that you’re not in a huge hurry to get rid of your assistive devices. They’re tools just like anything else. You use them until you don’t need them. Those long pre surgery struggles do wreak havoc but everything comes back on line with patience. One of the most comforting things my surgeon said was “it just takes the time it takes.” Took all the pressure off. Blessings for continued good healing.

Thank You!! I will use anything and everything to keep stable and work as hard as needed to correct a horrible limp that I had . Oh this will take time . I am working heal toe straight line with walker . Bringing my good leg through the center line then my new hip . It is working . The areas of muscles and tendons that were … surgically touched moved ETC, to fix my hip !!! It hurts SO GOOD ….are the sore spots !! Once they are resolved I know I will be ready . Better again this morning. Seems every morning a bit better . No rush .
 
Oh this will take time

You‘re one step ahead with that realization and your “No rush” comment also. It does take time. A member once shared the quote below -

“Look upon this surgery as an investment in your future. Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.”

Happy Thursday, newguy, I hope it’s a good one!
 
Woohoo! :happydance: Awesome!
 
My shopping cart PT! Worked great for me and I have no responsibility for how much you spend. I went to my local WM just about every day to walk with the cart. Flat ground around me is hard to find so the parking lot and the store were great places to walk. I could park at the furthest cart corral that had a cart and after a while I could leave my cane in the car and just use the cart. I'd walk laps in the store concentrating on posture and heel toe walking. Now I had mine all before Covid but I did get a nasty cold and sinus infection with my first THR and I believe I picked it up at the store. That was when I became a real believer in hand sanitizer. With Covid if the weather is good you could just walk the perimeter of the parking lot.
 
Happy New Year all. !! Day 10 PO . I can see the tendons in my feet again !! Swelling is resolving . But yes it gets swollen as the day goes on and after my 30 min walk . Ice ice baby!! Crazy how much swelling there was and is . I was told it would happen. Big surgery. So 4 days staples out . Trying to pivot to getting some things done . Maybe some writing and reading a few books . I have decided not to try and go back to work until February. I have been coaching a high school track team and sub teaching here in NC . No rush . 8 steps with the cane this morning. :))). Still gonna hang with my walker until staple removal and feel comfortable with stability.A BIG shout out to my wife . Lady , thank you SO MUCH !!!!Love You :))) The lack of independence is mind blowing!! I am looking forward to driving again next week after my post op appointment.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom