THR I'm back & having issues with non operated hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gilly

I had my surgery November 24th and I too am having groin pain. Sleeping is so horrible. I can't stand it. I know all the feelings you are feeling. This time of year the restrictions are just really killing my Christmas spirit. I am an emotional mess crying every single day at nothing. I have no more pain meds left and the visiting nurse told me to just take Tylenol 3 times a day. My butt kills in bed and my lower back. It's just dreadful! I would call the GP tomorrow about your groin. They told me it was the muscles because they had to move so much stuff around inside. It could have been a spasm maybe. I know I cannot even think about stretching out in bed before I get up because I get all kinds of spasms in my leg.

I do hope you feel better soon. The recovery feels like forever for me and it's only been three weeks tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @eeyore72500 I have just got back from seeing my GP but he doesn't really know why I am getting the groin pain. He suggested I get back to taking Celebrex and see how I am in a few days. The pain I was in was really bad, shooting up my leg and it felt like it was touching a nerve when I tried to move. It's good to know I'm not alone with this and I hope your pain settles down too. It's awful being in pain....I'm going to get back to icing and rest for today... .My op was one week before you. Keep me posted how your doing.:wave:
@Josephine thanks so much for your advice. I was quite stressed this morning but do feel a bit better since I saw my doctor.

Hope your having a great day..
 
I'm glad you saw the doctor. Take it easy for a day or two and see how you feel. Maybe it will go away or at least feel less painful


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Gilly just checking to see how you are doing. Glad things are settling. This recovery can be a roller coaster. Scale back and take things easy for a bit. Please keep us updated.
 
I had same butt sore had to lie on.non opp side and groin pain it does go away. You get wee improvements without realising it with me it was.could swing leg up without pain. Sleep is your enemy and friend if.feeling tired sleep whenever you can. Will pop by to check you guys are ok. - the ogre is signing of as had to think to type this and harold my only braincell is.complaining

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My pain isn't as bad as it was, but to be honest I'm worried the doctor didn't know what the trouble is. It's when I try get in bed or move around it bed that I feel this real tightness/pulling in my groin. I can walk upstairs with no issue. I'm getting around a fair bit without my crutch. Something the doctor said has got me a bit worried he said he has ruled out an infection as I'm doing so well. That scares me to be honest and I am a bit worried it could be something like that. I haven't been resting more and icing.

Thanks @Jaycey @eeyore72500 and @Legin for your support....:wave:

@Josephine could this be an infection or am I being paranoid? Should I take myself to hospital?

Cheers everyone..:)
 
I'm.no medico but infections usually go with temp either at site or general or both. But Josephine infinitely better qualified than.me

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm.sure it will be fine.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I feel this real tightness/pulling in my groin. I can walk upstairs with no issue.
This is good news. The tightness and pulling is post op pain. Are you taking your meds now like Jo suggested?
I'm getting around a fair bit without my crutch.
This could also be causing some discomfort - especially when you are tired. Don't be in a rush to get rid of any walking aid. Still early days!
 
Hi @Jaycey I have gone back to taking my medication again. I will make sure if I'm feeling tired when I'm out I will use my crutch. I feel I haven't been given much post op information from the hospital. I don't have any PT sessions, since leaving the hospital and don't meet up with the surgeon till the new year cause he is going away. You get released from hospital with a flow chart on exercises, medication and boof that's it.....:unsure: You don't get told what to do/what you can't do it's very confusing to be honest. My doctor was surprised I turned up with a crutch, he said I shouldn't need this now. He also said I should be able to sleep on my stomach, but I have been told not to till 6 weeks!!! it's hard to know who to believe....I'm so grateful for this site cause I would be so lost without it.... :yahoo:
 
My doctor was surprised I turned up with a crutch, he said I shouldn't need this now.
Is this your family doctor? You are less than 4 weeks out of surgery! Not a very helpful comment in my opinion!
Read these articles again:
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Activity progression for THRs
He also said I should be able to sleep on my stomach, but I have been told not to till 6 weeks!!!
Follow your surgeon's instructions regarding restrictions. Sounds like your GP hasn't a clue about THR!
 
Hi @Jaycey yes this is my family doctor, I have been seeing him for over 20 years!!!! He said because I am so young I should heal quicker hence not needing any crutches. I feel I need one crutch, even if I don't use it all the time it makes me feel a bit safer having it. I didn't sleep on my stomach last night as I will wait till I have my specialist follow up first. I'm a bit scared to do things I'm not supposed to just yet and the last thing I need is set backs...I'm a bit paranoid about something going wrong with new hip to be honest. Is this normal?
Good articles on healing and recovery, thanks :thumb:
 
With all due respect to your GP - he is not an orthopaedic surgeon. Telling you that you should be farther along in recovery because of your age is just silly. Recovery timelines depend on many factors - not your age. Sure, sometimes younger patients recover faster. But things like how long you limped around before your op can cause major impact. Use that crutch until you start leaving it behind. I think I used one crutch up to about week 5 with my first THR. I think your approach is very wise.

I would not advise sleeping on your stomach until you are released to do so by your surgeon. There are very good reasons for these restrictions. You are almost to your 6 week mark. A few more weeks for a lifetime living with that new hip.
 
Thanks @Jaycey really appreciate your advise and I totally agree with you my GP isn't the specialist so I am going by the 6 weeks restrictions that I was given from the specialst. And two more weeks to go then my 6 weeks will be up, yay!!!!


Have an awesome day..:friends:
 
Remember they are guidlines most important is you are safe heck im falls king
 
Josephine could this be an infection or am I being paranoid? Should I take myself to hospital?
I note you thanked me for my post but did you actually read it? I explained the most likely reason for your pain and what to do about it. I suggest you apply that before you start panicking about infection!
 
Hi @Josephine yes I did read your post properly but I got a bit paranoid from my doctors comments he made when I saw him. I have taken your advice and cut back on my activities. My pain seems to of settled down but there's still a niggle there. Hoping this goes soon.

Thanks once again...:cool:
 
It will.go. some medicos are nothing but insensative or none thinking how people take their comments. A few years ago after a bad RTA I went as my glands were huge. Dr kept saying oh dear. By time i left I was sourcing boat for my viking style funeral. Btw was fine. Ogre says STOP THINK am I stressing my.muscles and.will they have revenge. Of.course I rarely think myself it hurts to. Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Gilly.....it's so easy to get paranoid during this recovery...it's an emotional roller coaster. All the pains gradually disappear but you are only just 6 weeks out, very early days honey. Your GP sounds nuts.....I had to use one crutch on and off fir 6 months but all is fine now. Those restrictions will be a distant memory in a few months time.....I stuck with mine for 12 weeks as directed & it became second nature.
Good job for BoneSmart providing info & comfort......you get dome much info pre op but no info & no support after. I'm sure your pain will ease if you go back to basics, meds, rest, ice and then ease back in to more exercise...but not too much! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom