THR I'm back & having issues with non operated hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im same and a tad ahead of you. I told consultant at my last check up on opperated hip that other hip was saying hello promptly x rayed and told then be months till next opp. Have another appointment in May. So yes shout out. I went months last time with will cope thinking but WHY really all I achieved was a few months pay check but sooooooo much pain. I cant tell you but I know its best to get it sorted.
We are only here for a brief visit so make the best of it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Do you think I am doing the right thing?
My experience was that the recovery was much easier after RTHR which was the side I didn't wait to replace. The longer you limp around the harder it is for your body to relearn ways of walking. Besides, life is too short to live in pain. I say go for it!
 
A resounding YES! I debated so much last summer if I should just go ahead and get the right hip done. I knew it was bad but that not nearly as bad as left one was when I had it done in April. But, I just did not want to go to the point of
Ewwwwww, the not sleeping, being in pain, stiffness, taking loads of pills etc is a nightmare......
I just couldn't do it. I scheduled the surgery, and yes, sometimes still I doubt. BUT I know I am so glad to have that not have that niggling wake up every morning to whether its going to be "just" a bad dream kind of day or a nightmare kind of day.

I had six months between the surgeries, and I think my body could have used more time between. BUT, definite advantages to not waiting: I was still somewhat in recovery mode. It was easier to accept the help, realize that I needed the rest, and :heehee: I still hadn't even put all those special little things I gathered to have the surgery away yet! And I still remembered all the things I wish I had gathered and prepared the first time round.
 
Thanks for your replies @Legin , @Me2 and @Jaycey

I am sitting here after work as we speak with a heat pack on my groin area....I do feel its right to push for it sooner than later, even thou it's a major I need to get it over and done with...I'm not good at coping with this pain at all..Roll on Monday..If the surgeon said lets do it today I would say yes please...lol....I'm so over it..I do alot of crying as well so that can't be good for yah...

Life is defo too short...

Have a cool day..:loll:
 
Hi @Gilly, "Go For It"! As the others have said do it now, you will not regret it. I had my second one done when I was 19 weeks post-op from my first hip replacement. I was a bit concerned that my operated hip would not be strong enough going into the second surgery so soon but it was fine. Recovery second time around was much easier for me, because I was not dealing with the pain of still having a " bad hip". I am now almost 10 weeks post-op with the second hip and things are going great. I will be so happy when I will be done with all this " recovery" it's been a long 6 months but oh so worth it.... No more pain and time to " play and enjoy life again"!
 
Cheers @NuMe2014 I feel I can't move on as my non operated hip is dragging me down now that it's giving me pain. I feel like I'm back to square one again...Roll on Monday so I can speak to the surgeon...
 
Please let us know how your appointment goes on Monday!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Me2
Hi @Jaycey, had my appointment Monday and all went well except the surgeon isn't keen replacing my right hip until my left one is fully recovered. He has given me some more exercises to do so I'm not so stiff in the joint, sent me for an x-ray on the hip that was replaced. He said I'm doing really well... He suggested a follow up appointment in 5 months. He said my right hip is pretty much as bad as the left but he wants me to get over the first replacement before he does the other one...:tantrum2: Said it takes about a year to fully recover. Gave me clearance for the gym but no classes, just light weights, treadmill and bike.. I don't think I can cope with the walking but may do the other stuff...He is referring me for a steroid jab...I hope its as successful as it was when I had the left one done...Fingers x for me....:yahoo:
 
Aye fingers crossed but if it gets too much I would be gently tapping his door with a big hammer.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Gilly Sorry to hear your news. Did your surgeon suggest a timeframe at all? Would be nice to know where he thinks you are in the recovery timeline.
 
I had my 2nd hip done about 3 months after the first one, and that was not too soon. Like you, the unoperated hip was really giving me a hard time. Most of my pain after the first surgery was in the unoperated hip. I reccomend you push for the 2nd hip as soon as possible. My OS said he would do the 2nd one 8 weeks after the first, but I could not get scheduled until 12 weeks. By the time I had surgery #2, my new hip side was noticably stronger than the unoperated hip side. If you are in so much pain, you won't be able to maintain strength in the unoperated side.
 
Hey Everyone,

The surgeon just said he will see me in 5 months time, but I am going to see my own GP and push for it to be done sooner. I am struggling with walking and it's doing my head in.....I am not balanced and can't move on and get back to the gym...... :bignono:
 
Agreed nono to gym I dont blame you for wanting to push forward I know 5 months feels an eternity.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Gilly, I'm confused as to why your surgeon wants you to wait. There are so many stories on bonesmart where people had both surgeries within 6 months of each other, including mine. I had a posterior RTHR on November 21, 2014, just after yours. My left hip didn't start hurting till about a month post op. I'm having my LTHR on April 17. My pain isn't nearly as bad as yours. Is it possible to get a second opinion? I don't see any advantage for you to have to wait if you are already in so much pain. I hope you get this worked out sooner then later. My prayers are with you.
 
:hi:Hi @Legin it sure does feel like forever.........
@Midchild54, the surgeon just told me it takes about a year to get over and he will see me in 5 months. Sending me for a steriod jab so waiting on that. I am going to see my own GP next week and will talk to him how I am feeling. Maybe he will be able to push things a bit quicker for me. I need to get back to normality cos it's driving me nuts..I'm getting back to the teary stages again and I hate that....Thanks for your prayers, I need them....
 
There is a part of me that questions as to whether his schedule is full, as many surgeons seem to have errrrr diff opinion re time scales. With me I had to see stand im surgeon after being told mine had an opp himself. He gave me a timescale which remarkably was same as surgeons return hmmmmm. Also aye speaking to me does make it feel a long time.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin I bet you're right, he'll be full on....Loads of us hippies about huh....lol..

Hope you're having a good day mate....:happydance:
 
Aye been in garden deff not over doing it teeeetumteee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom