Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm back & having issues with non operated hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a wee while since I last updated but it's week 8 now and I'm back to work this week full time, which I'm happy things are getting back to normal again. I am shattered though after work and find it hard staying up past 9pm...lol...I usually fall asleep on the couch, yes the couch I can now sit on!!!! Yay, it excites me so much to sit on the couch, drive, shave my legs, put my own shoes on, etc..... I saw the surgeon Thursday for my follow up and he is pleased with my progress so far and no more restrictions....whoohooo.... I need to still take things easy of course and I know if it hurts don't do it.....I spoke to him about walking as I am struggling a bit at times and he explained that it may take me a good 6 months to adjust as I was out alignment before my operation my body compensated for this and now it has been adjusted to the way it is supposed to be, that's why I'm feeling it's hard at times. So it made a lot of sense when he showed me my x-rays and went through it properly. He told me I can do some swimming/biking as this will strengthen the joint. I have borrowed an exercise bike so will start off slowly and build up. Well that's my update for now. I think I meet with the surgeon in 6 months and then will discuss the right hip. I need to give myself time recovering from this surgery before I jump into getting the other one done..

Thanks to all the Bonesmarties who have given me great advise and support along the way....I would of been lost to be honest if it wasn't for this site....

Have a fab day everyone..We're off to the beach, great day here in Auckland...:flwrysmile:
 
Hey @Gilly
Good to hear from you and hear you are doing well. For eight weeks, you are doing exceptionally well actually! So happy things have smoothed out. It's so amusing how the little things can make us so happy. Each little accomplishment makes us breath a little sigh of relief and think "ok, I really am doing better, maybe I won't be like this the rest of my life" haha. Anyway that was me. I'm at 4 months as of today. I'm thrilled finally with my pain free walking, it sure took awhile before I could put full weight on that side without limping, but now it feels great. I still have some soreness and a little stiffness, but when I stretch and walk around it mostly disappears. I'm so jealous though, still can't put my shoe and sock on that side. And shaving my legs is hilarious......just can't pull that knee up high enough. Wonder how long before I'll be able to? In the meantime hubby patiently helps me. He probably thought he was done with that 35 years ago. Lol...Anyway hope your progress continues and every day gets a little more normal. Normal is wonderful! You have a great weekend too!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great to hear you're back to (nearly) normal @Gilly. It really is great to be back participating in the real world isn't it? Whenever I am feeling stressed out or particularly "in demand" now I remember that feeling at about five weeks post op, of being somehow invisible and irrelevant. This is better :heehee: I'm sure it wear off soon, and I'll feel put upon:rotfl:

It's great that you can do most of your ADL, walking still provides me with a bit of a problem too; tendinopathy, which may take a while to resolve, but is resolvable! My Physio told me yesterday that the "ceiling" is 12 months out, so I can expect improvements for up to that amount of time... not that it WILL take that amount of time.

The one thing about being wiped out by 9pm is that you're getting plenty of sleep... I was probably getting more sleep than I have in years at about 8 weeks, but I have reverted to staying up too late (the festive season didn't help!) and as with our work we HAVE to get up early it means I've cut the amount of sleep back, tut tut. We're not back to work from the summer break until Monday... adjustment coming:flabber:

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your recovery

Donna :)
 
Hi @Rhonda K, I can't shave my legs and tie up my laces comfortably, I struggle quite a bit....lol...I was rather amazed when my hubby was shaving my legs....OMG, he was fast and freaked me out...lol......I am glad I can do it...I think the stationary bike is helping me a lot thou. I have started doing 15 mins each day with no resistance and will build up each week and add another 5 or 10. I have soreness and stiffness as well especially when I first get up, but my sleeping is so much better and that makes tons of difference...

@craftdee after I have been walking for a while I find it a real struggle and feel myself limping...I'm self conscious about it...I feel everyone is staring at me...Not sure if they are but I'm paranoid...Hope it comes right...Can you tell me what ADL means? You'll be fine back at work tomorrow girly....Good luck....:yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Gilly In some perverse way I'm glad I'm not the only one that starts limping after a while... it's crazy, 'coz I'm "stiff at start up" then it gets better (or maybe I try harder:chinstroke:) then I find myself limping - or certainly not walking smoothly.

ADL=Activities of Daily Living.... sorry I wasn't clear, my OS uses the expression as did my "hospital THR info folder" and my Physio - maybe an Aussie expression:shrug:
 
Ah, ADL all good @craftdee makes sense now....I am also glad I'm not on my own with the walking....lol...Says the evil person on my shoulder..lol.... It happened today too....I can't walk for too long before I start to feel limpy again...Argggh, it has to get better...But with me I am sure the other hip needs to be done before I can walk like I used to many years ago.....
Have a wicked day tomorrow....x:yahoo:
 
I go.for walks v regularly as I know I have to.build up.my stamina. After weeks of v little there is a.considerable amount of.muscle wastage. I.started.doing about a.mile and as I.got.tired my.new.walk dissapeared quicker than santa drank his whisky. Or was it me. Anyway after wee bit of time 2 miles and then walk went. Yes my other hip.then complained as with.tiredess it will. Anyway.I'm up to about 4 miles now. All I'm.saying is.like everything else in this process give it time. Oh I'm v jealous I'm not allowed to go back to work yet.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Legin I am building up strength on the stationery bike and I am feeling a bit stronger already. I can notice a difference, not necessarily my walking but I feel I can bring my knee up easier, it isn't so sore and painful. I will also start regular walks outside as well as like you say building up stamina is important. I am enjoying being back at work and I am sure you'll be back in no time as well..

Hope you having a great day.....
 
Right attitude. Just keep remembering it takes time. Not sure about me as its nerve damage which is not wanting to heal.
Anyway keep going.and.remember keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hey @Gilly . Pleased to hear things are going well. No kidding on the tiredness huh? I had to laugh last night; a friend came over for dinner and we were sitting chatting until about 9.30 when I had to nip to the bathroom. I returned 2 minutes later and she had her coat on ready to go. Only then did I remember that, the last time she visited, across Christmas, I'd 'gone to the bathroom' and never came back (I guess my bed had been way too tempting as I walked by and I just fell into it - didn't surface till the next morning :heehee:).

I'm so happy to read that you're feeling an improvement from your work on the bike. I just posted on my thread this morning that I've decided its time to stop telling myself I can't do so many things and just to start getting on. Its so unlike me to keep knocking myself back in this way and I think its a kind of fear..maybe that I'll hurt myself, or maybe because I don't want to find out where my limitations are just now!

You're so brave letting your hubby shave your legs..I wouldn't even ask, it would be disastrous! I think maybe the limp we're all experiencing after walking for so long is not much more than fatigue. As your surgeon said, everything is somewhat misaligned pre-surgery and I know that I wasn't able to walk for long at all in the months preceding surgery.

Keep us up to date with progress. @Coop06 recently started out on a ?100 day challenge (maybe a different number of days) on the elliptical trainer increasing his workout by 1 minute each day. This is what I plan to do on the spin bike provided, of course, I remain injury-free
 
Hi @MissMoo the tired feeling just comes on all of a sudden, boof....needing to have a wee nap...lol....I have been increasing my time on the bike each day so today I did 25 mins and feeling quite good, stuffed afterwards in a good way....My fitness has gone..I used to go to the gym 4 times a week but as my hips deteriorated I wasn't able to do the same things and was very limited to what I was able to do....I'm really into the classes, love them rather than the circuit..... But I think we need to remember how much of a big op we've had, so it is going to take sometime to get over..It's all about patience, something I don't have. Always want things like yesterday....lol..
My hubby didn't cut me once...But I was freaked out sometimes at the speed he was doing it....I still have my raised loo seat, and special chair here. I want to keep them a bit longer as I like the loo seat especially..lol...It's funny I was so against them before the op and was upset I had to sit on a special loo and chair..lol...I'm too young for that I thought...haha...makes me chuckle looking back..
I'm exactly the same regarding hurting myself..When I try to put on a pair of socks I'm like this is so hard to do I can't do it!!! It's that we have to adjust to the new hip and do things differently, but very scary...I want to wear heels too but to scared at the moment. I will wait a bit longer for that...
I think soon enough we will look back and wonder what all the fuss is about...

@Legin always trying to smile...lol....I hope you get your nerve damage sorted...Cos that must be a big set back for you and fingers crossed you get to return to work real soon....

Hope yous have a lovely day/evening wherever you are in the world....:flwrysmile:
 
Gilly you made me.smile what a wonderful and genuine report. You are doing superbly and don't worry your fitness will cone back. I use a sock aid thingy got it from that very large internet company that's begins with an A and got a z in it. I got it pre opp bit stil use it.
Ty re nerve thingy. No sign of feeling as yet but hey I'm not giving up hope. Toodles

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin am glad I made you smile....I think I'm doing well too but I just need the patience...I'm 48 never had it, I don't think it's going come now....Fingers and toes crossed for you re your nerve pain mate...Whereabouts in the UK are you from? Hope you don't mind me asking.....:wave:
 
Not at all I.was born in North East of England. Moved to Scotland in 1984 for one year only and.I'm.still there been.one.long year.. Naaaa love it there. I'm visiting bro right now.
Heck lass I.have the patience of a bee on speed so I can relate. It will come.pal so if you need.to.kick.someone.up.da bott do it.now as be.too.hard.after. - note to.self nae bending down in Gilly's company

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hahaha you're funny @Legin.....We have good English humour....I'm originally from Liverpool but moved to NZ when I was 10....Scotland would be to cold for me...lol...Keep in touch...:)
 
Nae probs will be here as outcome of foot isn't too promising and I still.have to have other hip done. Now just got to find brain replacement forum.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Ahahaha @Legin I need a brain surgeon forum too.....:heehee:

I also have noticed that a lot of bonesmarties get both hips done.....Weird, huh...

Have a goodie...
 
Wierd thats me. My main surprise was it was right first im left footed and the left leg has had a lot of damage. Knee ligaments ruptured achilies calf tears. Me accident prone naaaaaaaaa just oooooooopsieman. You too lass we hv snow here btw about minus 5 wind chill feels like minus 10
 
Well hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last updated on here, but thought I would come and let yous know how I am doing so far.....It's been 4 months since I had my left hip replaced & it has been really good, pretty much no pain in the joint just the scar gets sore from time to time. Have lots more movement than I did which is so cool....Yahoo......I do find it hard to walk properly at times still and trying not to limp but sadly my non operated hip has started playing up and it's starting to bring me down.....Ewwwwww, the not sleeping, being in pain, stiffness, taking loads of pills etc is a nightmare......So rather than wait till July for my check up I have called the hospital and managed to get an appointment Monday, so I am going to push for another steroid jab and ask to have surgery ASAP....I cannot cope with this all year like I did last year...I haven't got back to the gym and nor can I walk far so my new hip isn't getting the exercise it should be getting....

Do you think I am doing the right thing? I wanted to give myself at least a year to get over the first replacement but I can't cope with this damn pain....
Any other advise??

Cheers :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom