Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm back & having issues with non operated hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi@Gilly! Sounds like you are doing great... So happy for you. Far as the sleep thing... I'm 13 weeks post op now and still have not slept through a whole night yet!


RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015
 
Hi @NuMe2014 I hope I start to sleeping right through before I return to work next year. It makes such a difference to your well being getting a good night sleep. You're also scheduled for your second hip replacement Jan 2015, not long to go. Are you anxious about that at all? Not sure yet when I will be getting my right one done. I have noticed that a lot of BoneSmart hippies need both hips done at some stage or another....

Hope your day is going well....:happydance:
 
Hellooooooooo @Gilly sleep thing is rubicubes I still.strugggle but then did.before opp with hip pain. I am a both hippie tooo left is.being monitored. try not to stress

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin I think I'm a bit tired hence the whinging...lol....I do feel better than I did before the operation. Just a bit over the restrictions at the mo....

Have a goodie..:wave:
 
Hi @Gilly I know exactly how you feel... I'm at nine and a half weeks out of 12 weeks restrictions, it's been the hardest part of the journey really! Whinging makes you feel a bit better, if nothing else it saves the rest of the family from hearing it again :snork:

Sleeping on your back is HARD when you're not used to it, it does get a bit easier as it gets more comfortable with swelling etc going down (I found that I had groin pain and back pain that settled down, which helped too) I wasn't allowed to elevate my leg through the night but if you have no such restriction (most don't, so go for it!) just put your leg up on one pillow, it makes a huge difference :) I practiced before the op so I didn't have another "thing" to adjust to post op. I'm sure you'll be sleeping by the time you return to work, once those restrictions are lifted you'll be back on to your tummy and everything else will be settled back down too.

I don't know if you can sleep on your stomach but my OS advised me to lay on my stomach for 30 minutes a time every day, it helped to stretch out the ligaments/tendons that had shortened over the years of me holding my leg slightly flexed to protect the hip, once I could "do" my Quad stretches properly the stomach-laying didn't give as much relief, but as I was allowed and able to do it sooner in my recovery it's got to be okay... the trick is to GET on to your stomach safely; put a pillow between your legs, hold it there (throughout the manoeuvre so your leg doesn't cross the midline) and roll over... or you can do what I do to lay on the table for my weekly massage (which helps SO much) and that's just stand next to the bed, bend over with your operated leg next to the bed then swing it up on to the bed then swing/pull the other leg up... getting off's easy - swing your legs off the bed and stand up!!:spin:

Re the bending/picking up with restrictions, like Hoppy Nanny said there's the "two reacher" approach, or you can use the golfer's reach or golfer's lift as it is otherwise known I found this to be an absolute saviour, I was forever losing my reachers!! I've been able to adapt the "lift" to do things like squeegie my shower without breaking restrictions and other useful stuff too:rolleyes:

[Bonesmart.org] I'm back & having issues with non operated hip


I was desperate to get my clearance to drive, luckily I didn't have to wait the full 12 weeks for THAT one, I would have been a basket case! Interestingly, I haven't driven that much since I've been allowed; just knowing that you're not stranded is a big plus though... it does give you a better appreciation of what those around us that don't drive deal with; being reliant on others etc. The public transport system's not that good here either... or so I've heard, I can't remember the last time I used it, us Aussies love our cars:driver:

I see your avatar has you sitting on the beach at Tauranga (?) Such a pretty place (we were there five years ago) Mount Manganui nearly killed me though! I was alright going up, couldn't talk much, which was a nice break for hubby, but the OA pain coming down was :bawl: We did some of the South Island the year before, then The Able Tasman and part of the North Island in 2009. Next year we're coming back, to do the South of the South Island and the North of the North Island... I'm hoping to be more mobile this time around. We were thinking of coming in April, but the last two trips were in April and those Sandflies were, well let's say "an issue", especially in the Able Tasman :tantrum2: My hubby's cousin and his wife live in Christchurch, we're going to meet them in Melbourne (they're coming over to do the Great Ocean Road, Adelaide to Melbourne) for a few days, then fly back to ChCh so they can go back to work and we can go be tourists! NZ is so well set up for tourists:SUNsmile:

Anyway, hope you have a better night tonight... well you may be up as it's half way through the night there as I type, but I hope not! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @craftdee thanks so much for your advice, really appreciate it..The 12 week restriction must be a killer for you, I'm doing my head in now and it's only been 24 days!!!! One things for sure once I get clearance I will really, really appreciate all the things I have taken for granted like driving, bending down, putting on my shoes, etc. It doesn't seem like much to some people but once it has been taken away you realise just how lucky you were before. Cheers for the picture of the golfers reach. I will be trying that as I seem to drop more things than I used to...(so frustrating..lol). I don't see the surgeon till 8th Jan for my follow up. I also think I have to wait till then to be given the ok to drive, ewwwwww sad that the follow up isn't before Xmas, but I will plod on....:chillpill: I don't wake up feeling that great it takes me a while to come good. I think it's cause of this awful back sleeping!!! Waking up in the middle of the night is awful when you can't get back to sleep and your bum is numb...lol...:sleeep:..Well I spose I am half way there and that's a bonus..
My avatar pic is Rarotonga not Tauranga.....lol...Have you been to Raro? It's wicked, loved, loved it..If you ever want to go on holiday and chill it's the place to go. No shopping (which is hard for me cause I love to shop) but the beach, sun, water, people, cocktails, snorkling is just great R & R... You are right about the Mount, it's really lovely. I love the beach and the outdoors. Even sitting out on my deck in the sun for a while perks me up big time. The South Island is also lovely. NZ is lovely a great place but I wish it wasn't so wet here in Auckland. I hate winter time as we get a lot of rain, rain and more rain...It doesn't get too cold but the rain drives me nuts...I shouldn't moan to much as I'm from England and the weather is worse there...lol...
Well guess what it is showery today, so not much deck sitting for me ...lol....but it is warm so I best not complain to much..

Hope you have a great day and thanks once again for your advice. I follow you as love reading your updates..(I'm not a stalker....lol) :cheers2:
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm back & having issues with non operated hip
@Gilly, you are now an
[Bonesmart.org] I'm back & having issues with non operated hip
! Stick to the BoneSmart mantras for the best possible recovery. And keep in mind that recovery overall will be brief compared to the time it took your hip to get into the condition that made replacement necessary. TIME & PATIENCE is what it's going to take.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] I'm back & having issues with non operated hip
 
The ogre nods head in agreement. - puts head back on oooooopsie

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Week 4 today:
Can I please have advice as I am having severe groin pain and it's seems to have got worse this last week. I have just got myself in bed with a pillow between my legs and the pains in my groin area were really severe and sharp shooting the pain up my body. I wasn't able to put my leg down. I am in bed (hubby assisted) with an ice pack and have taken some pain killers..The pain has eased off a bit but I am tight in the groin area...HELP...
 
Hi @Gilly , what activities did you do today? Anything new? Change in medication or perhaps forgot to take your meds? You are still early days out of surgery. Even twisting a new way can cause discomfort. Can you lower your leg to the bed?
 
Hi @Jaycey I have been grocery shopping today and used one crutch but have been using one crutch all week with no bother. I have cut right back on my meds. Do you think I still should be taking them? Maybe I twisted slightly getting into bed. The groin pain has been bothering me for a while. If I sneeze I can feel a real twinge..Shall I go and see my gp?
 
I have cut right back on my meds. Do you think I still should be taking them?
You are only one month out and you are getting more mobile. You need your meds to get more mobility. It's a circle - meds then mobility then meds. Pretty soon you will naturally taper off.

Has the pain started since you tapered off your meds? Sounds like post op pain but let's tag @Josephine as she is the expert.

If it were me I would get back on the meds, ice and elevate and see if things ease. When I was in full on recovery I took an ice pack to bed every night. Really helps with the swelling and eases pain as well. Please keep us updated.
 
Thanks @Jaycey I thought we were going to have to call an ambulance as the pain was really severe. I will take your advice and start taking my meds and start icing again on a regular basis. I'm in a position that's not causing me pain but scared to move....I was thinking the worst...Thanks for your advice..Looking forward to hearing from @Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you are at all worried, call your GP tomorrow. Believe me, if you dislocated anything you would not be able to move or get comfortable.
 
I am having severe groin pain and it's seems to have got worse this last week. I have cut right back on my meds. Do you think I still should be taking them?
Evidently yes, you should still be taking them!

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] I'm back & having issues with non operated hip
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
Hi @Josephine I will try my best at answering your questions
1: My approach was Posterior approach
2: My pain level at present is 3 but I have got stiff/sharp/nerve groin pain
3: My meds are Tramadol (50mg), Panadol, Celebrex (100mg),Aspirin(100mg),Gabapentin(300mg). I am taking one Aspirin a day for 6 weeks. I had pretty much stopped taking my meds and have been taking them on occasion. I have been mainly taking panadol.
4: My activity level, cooking, shopping, dishes.
5: PT exercises: Mainly involves walking, but I have been doing heel slides, hip abduction in standing, hip extension standing, hip flexion standing, hip abduction, 10 reps each and probably 3-4 times each day.

Hope this helps :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My pain level at present is 3 but I have got stiff/sharp/nerve groin pain
I take it you didn't factor this into your pain score?
My meds are Tramadol (50mg), Panadol, Celebrex (100mg), Gabapentin(300mg). I had pretty much stopped taking my meds and have been taking them on occasion. I have been mainly taking panadol.
Obviously Panadol is inadequate for this pain. And remember that you're only 4 weeks out and this is just post-op pain. You have an excellent range of meds there so take them and take them regularly. I suggest you take 50mgsTramadol and 2 paracetamol (not Panadol) 3-4 times a day.
My activity level, cooking, shopping, dishes.
Rather a lot for 4 weeks out. I note that no-one seems to have left you the recovery articles so I will remedy that later but you should read this article for guidance on what your level of activity should be Activity progression for THRs. It definitely precludes shopping!

Your exercises, my comments in bold:
Mainly involves walking - how far and how often? Should be short walks once a day
heel slides x10 3-4 times a day - this is a knee exercise and of no value for hips
hip abduction standing x10 3-4 times a day - do 5 once a day
hip extension standing x10 3-4 times a day - do 5 once a day
hip flexion standing x10 3-4 times a day - do 5 once a day
hip abduction x10 3-4 times a day - do 5 once a day

Rather than cutting back on your meds, you should cut back on your exercising and activities!

Hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom