Guest viewing is limited

THR If only I knew

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you have found the forum, I've learned so much from others' experiences. It's also been helpful to gain an understanding of the wide range of 'normal.' I was always a little awed by how major this surgery was going to be and had a hard time believing that recovery could begin so quickly. But doing is believing. I'm sorry to hear of the rough time immediately after the surgery but celebrate your progress so far. I'll look forward to more progress updates. -Linda
 
I'm sorry you went into it unprepared. That must have been extremely frightening. Most surgeons don't like to spend the time explaining all the details ... and it's not the same for everyone anyway. But, they should at least refer their patients to groups like this or patients who have had the procedure done and can serve as a resource person.

I think the feeling that shocked me the most after my first hip replacement was how heavy and immobile my leg was at first. If I hadn't been warned about that specifically by people on here and a friend from work I bet I would have panicked and thought my leg was paralyzed! Information is so important with a surgery as big as this one. It's not easy.

Glad you found us!

Dorothy
 
Hi sunnydays

I am so sorry that you had such a bad time, that sound horrific! But you are strong and the emotional trauma will ease, it will just take time. Listen to your body, if it says to rest, rest, if it tells you to move, move.. But always remembering that it is a marathon not a sprint.. You have this hip for life babe, it is yours and yours alone. The OS did his job (sad that there seemed to be no bedside manner or information).

I am sad that you didn't find us sooner, but we are here for you now and.......

sunny days will come back for you:)

So glad you have found the forum. Yes it is informative, encouraging, supportive and showing love for other people even when we have never met them. We become friends, confidants and have heaps of fun too
 
Sunnydays, thanks for this post. I'm a staunch supporter of all the wonderful things that the internet brings into our lives, and BoneSmart is indeed an example of the very best use of this wonderful technology.

I think hip replacement has a lot in common with birthing a baby. You go through hell for a long time, but eventually you have this adorable creature to show for it, and you manage to forget enough of the trauma to be willing to go through it again someday (in case you have to do the other hip).

It sounds like you have made it past the initial insult of all that pain, and you are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. Keep us posted with your progress; we're all anxious to hear that you are steadily recovering and regaining your life.

Sharon
 
Hi sunnydays welcome to this wonderful site I agree that it's a pity hospitals dint recommend it as I really wish I'd known about it even prior to my op
I'm so very sorry you had a horrible time and I understand hat you mean about going in blind I did too my thoughts were go in up walking same day then in a couple of month life's perfect but I now know that's not the case
I've learnt so much from the lovely people on here and it's nice to have people to help and advise apart from family
Don't block your family out but like mine they love,care and want to help
Good luck and please keep in touch theirs so many people ready to help here it's like finding lads of ew friends in one go
 
Thank you guys and girls. Like I said I'm over the very worst of it now and thank goodness we can all talk to each other. There is no one I know of that has had this operation, so hence had no feed back to gather info from. My OH has just realized after 4 weeks exactly what went where and what went into which bit of bone lol. I sat him down and graphically (with lots of drilling and banging noises) explained to him how extensive this op was. I don't blame him for not knowing. Who does know all the in's and out's?. Anyway I have now got the sympathy (bouquet was delivered last Tuesday due to depression of being stuck in for soooo long due rain, ) and admiration for coping with the pain etc.
I'm off all pain killers now and only chew a few in the night if I get these weird spasms in my hip and leg muscles. I find I wake up as I'm stretching like mad from my waist down to my toes.
Swelling has reduced so much now that there is only a lumpy bit by the scar. And in the last 2 days my ankles are back to normal. Still using 1 crutch with a bit of a limp and afternoon naps are a god send. I have never slept so much in my life.
Due to the rain over the last 4 weeks I haven't got out much and really want to walk a bit. I read of so may doing so much more than me. Feel like I'm lagging behind due to weather.
I'm still sleeping in the spare room and I can now get out of bed with my leg working just fine. Still unsteady in the morning and wait a few minutes for my new hip to wake up. It's so lovely to have a big bed to myself and I permanently have the laptop near to hand to entertain me.
So all in all things are going just dandy.
 
:SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile:

Hey sunnydays

What a wonderful upbeat post.. It will get better from here on.

One word of caution.... Please don't compare your journey with anyone else on the forum.. This is your journey hon and only you can travel it...

I wish for sunny days to come back soon and the rain to stop.
 
Hi Sunnydays!
So glad you shared! I am just 6 days behind you (surgery June 12th), and yes it is up and down, and every new type of cramp is disconcerting, because we worry that it may be 'bad news'. Well, I do anyway. But in the end, it always winds up being just part of the recovery process. This forum truly is a blessing, I don't have anyone around me either that can relate to how big this is, nobody who can truly understand the physical frustration that sets in sometimes when you can't pick up something that fell, that I can't bend down and pet my dog the way I'd like to, or to the emotional sadness when you feel unsure of when you'll be able to feel more independent and self sufficient and healthy again. Loneliness and being stuck in the house has been hard for me, because in my 'normal' life I am around many people every day. I go from grateful to sad, to just want to crawl into bed, to impatient and wanting to get out, all in a matter of a couple of hours! And then it settles again.
To have partners and confidants on this forum is such a gift, and I am so glad that you're here with us. Just know you're not alone, I'm right there, 6 days behind you.
May you continue to get better every day, and thrive!
Warmly,
Desiree
 
I felt as if I had been lied to as I was expecting NO MORE PAIN.
Well, that's the other side of the coin. So many people think that because the previous grinding arthritic pain is gone after the op, then anything else they are experience is NO PAIN and therefore they don't need any pain meds! Must say, this is the first time I met with it this way round! But it's a viable complaint - I think you were misled and badly. Such a shame. But I'm glad you are over that now and moving along with your recovery.

It seems that no-one else left you these so I am gong to. You might still find them useful
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
 
Thank you Josephine. I was wondering whether you could arrange with some hospitals to have this web site put up around the waiting rooms in pre-op or in the wards because it is so valuable to have this information. Just an idea....
 
We spread the word whenever and whereever we can Sunnydays. Mention us to your OS when you see him for followup. Unfortunately some hospitals want patients only following their "set of rules". That's why this forum is so popular! Many times those "rules" don't even get passed to the patient!
 
Hi Desiree, thank you for your post. I extend my hand over the pond to hold yours as we are so close in our journey.
So anytime you fancy a girlie natter, just post here. I'm up most nights.
Last night I decided to have a drink (vodka and bitter lemon) which my OH was pouring the shots. And I didn't notice that I had become so tipsy. Went to bed ok, woke up in the night lying on my good side with pillow between legs but then woke up a second time with me lying on my op side.(still had pillow between legs) I did panic but found when getting up that no harm was done. And....... I slept soundly from 10 to 8 am woo hoo!! Took pain med's not for pain in hips but for hangover headache. :)
The 1 thing I have learnt is patience and how to entertain myself during the lonely hours alone till OH comes home. I have found many free films on You Tube. I also watched our hip op on You Tube...Oh I did wince...
I have told myself that each 24 hrs is another day of recovery and a step towards my new life. I just keep pacing myself and know it wont be long before I'm back at work, talking to other humans and being back in the busy bustle we call life.
Give me a month back at work and I will be wishing I was back at home ha ha.
I tell you what is exciting which I keep having to remind myself, that in a few months I will be using my leg and hip in ways that I haven't been able to in 10 years. I'm going to be NORMAL and do NORMAL things like everyone else does. Like walking for one and walking distances and up hills and over countryside and swimming. Oh gosh I will be able to swim again.
I have been stuck in the house since last October and haven't been able to be at work at all. So I know about the isolation and frustration. I'm here if needed.
 
Hey Sunnydays,
So glad you have decided to post. My goodness! That is an awful expereince that you went through, pain for so many years under a doctor who did not seem ver perceptive to what was happenign to you. I am sorry you went into this so blind and then had such a WHACK of pain wiht an epidural that did not work.
Loved your description of describing this to your OH (But what is an OH??? sorry not up on acronyms!) and yes, I think the physical idea of this operation goes is overwhelming. (Personally the hacking off of my femur was the detail that did me in...a friend said "Quit describing this like it is carpentry"... I sent pictures of the surgical instruments and their names and he got it.)
Sorry your weather is yucky, but you can walk around the house, too.
Oh, and Desiree said, even though, even though there is so much relief (the correct hip was done!), there are those emotional twinges. I couldn't scoop up my cat today and I realized how far the journey still has to go.
Warmest wishes,
Elle
 
Well I'm nearly 5 weeks wed and where has the time gone? Today has been a fantastic day. I have took over my house again. I have removed the high toilet seat from off my toilet and have redone my bathroom to normality. I have walked around the house with no crutch or cane and only use furniture if I need a steadying hand. I have hoovered, cooked, cleaned, showered and become ME again.
I'm still getting broken sleep but the last 2 days I haven't needed to nod off during the afternoon. The exhaustion has gone.
My ankles and leg look normal but still have swollen hard lump by scar, top half of hip, but not getting any pain.
I cannot believe the difference a few days make.
So when I look back, it has only taken under 5 weeks from op to get to this point and all the worrying and pain and frustration has been for a very short time in my life. I am so lucky.
I feel different, sort of very excited and I'm thinking of what will come in the days ahead of me?
I have noticed that I'm standing in a way that my hip is tilted to protect my right hip (operated 1) and I really must work on getting out of that habit. 10 years worth of habit.
I have driven once at 2 weeks post op but that was due to emergency of my mother breaking her arm after a fall. I'm finding I'm itching to get into my car but have found that I'm stressing about journeys now and I feel I have lost confidence in my driving. (anxiety panic) Because it has been so long (6 months)
I'm sure that will get sorted in its own time.
I'm still stuck in due to rain and can't get out much. I have found my crutches slip on the pavement due to the rubber ends. And it has made my legs slide apart a few times.
There are only a few more things I need to get on my timeline of recovery. A bath, driving and a whole nights sleep.

Oh by the way has anyone else had dry skin on their legs and feet? I have it since surgery.

I hope all the new hipsters reading this that IT DOES GET BETTER. Its just time........And time is slow to begin with but gets quicker every day with each improvement.
 
sunnydays, your update is a delight! So glad you have turned the corner. Easy does it right? Still only 5 weeks so there is lots of healing going on.

You will get you confidence in driving back. Try short trips (assuming you are released to drive) - then build up.

Dry skin - yes big time - especially feet. Once you get more flexible you will be able to use lotions. Don't worry if it takes awhile to be able to reach. All part of the recovery process.

Well done on your recovery!
 
[Bonesmart.org] If only I knew
Great update, sunnydays! Feels so good and is such an upper to be able to be almost "'normal" finally at last. Wish I could send you some sunshine--we've had more than our share, although it finally rained last night and today---and we really needed it. So glad that you've reached that day that you know it has gotten better and will continue to get better.
[Bonesmart.org] If only I knew
 
Great update sunnydays, it is great to feel normality starting to return to ones life that's for sure.

And of course, the bonus now is that it just keeps getting better and better :)
 
Just now getting familiar with you, but I concur. I think our OS should give us this website while they are diagnosing us and setting up the date for our surgery.

I didn't discover Bonesmart until the middle of the night after returning home (couldn't sleep.....) and googled my symptoms.... what a wonderful resource I found! I just couldn't believe it.

There's nothing like talking to people who have had this surgery, much less Chronic Pain.... or horrible hospital/nursing experiences.....

Glad to hear you are "on the mend."
 
Aloha sunnydays. What a great update. I am envious.

Yes, I have very dry skin on my feet and and legs and especially around my incision scar. I was told not to scrub that area but there is a bunch of dead flaky skin.

I am almost four weeks out and hope I can turn the corner like you have soon. I was doing quite well, but I think I overdid on the weekend and had to rest yesterday and am in more pain today.

Keep up the good work, Nancy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom