THR If only I knew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Sharon for your encouraging post. Will take on board your comments.
xxxx
 
Hi sunnydays, just catching up.. So sorry about the toothache... Hope you have seen the dentist by now and got some relief.

Recovery from joint replacement is a long journey, but one does get there slowly.

I wish you all the best :)
 
Golly I've been a grumpy so and so over the last 3 weeks. I've come to the conclusion that being restricted to certain tasks and having to wait for this recovery to go through the process, that I have lost sight of all the new things I can do.
Looking over my last few posts and realizing that I have focused on things that really don't need my attention at this moment. I'm not normally a moaner but I suppose handling days when your cooped up and trying to keep entertained finally gets to you.
I have noticed something though. The silly thing is, the more painkillers I take, the easier my day is soooooo I do far too much without realizing. So of course I pay the price. I expect I'm not the first in this.
The healing process is long and your mind wants to get at it with this new life your promised. And I think for most of us the wait has been many many years.
I know in a few months time these days will fade into the background and life will become a reality again.
But this week I have some new joys that I have taken a moment to reflect on. I can now drive a little further than last time. At 11 weeks I can now , with effort, go up the stairs normally (I got fed up of going up one by one and it was becoming a pain) I can only walk a short distance with a walking stick, but I'm trying to improve on my distance and will try not to become disappointed (which I was last time). I think that was what sent me into a slight depression. But I have regrouped my energies in what should happen to what will happen, given time.
Having raging toothache really was the last straw for me at the end of last week which put me into a tearful few days.
Funny how after a major op with major pain, you fight the good fight and get through it but along comes something minor and bang! your down on your knees and here pops up this emotional wreck.
I really went into "I FEEL SORRY FOR ME" mode.
My op leg is now moving and doing what it should and I can now reach my ankles with my hand so I can now tie up my own shoes!!!! And shave my legs ( as hubby refused to go THAT far with his assistance). I did cellotape a razor to the end of a long BBQ spatula (only thing in the house that had the right length) but it was bit dodgy :)

So all in all I now just have to master walking further, bending down, sitting comfortable, getting a comfortable nights sleep and energy levels then get back into work. The pain I'm experiencing will go and I will keep up the painkillers till I really don't need them. Here's to the next 11 weeks of recovery.
 
Oh and I forgot to add..... for all of you that come everyday and answer posts with encouragement and advice I think you all deserve a huge hug and applause. To have someone recognize your predicament and to read your post and then answer with love and feeling makes the poster feel connected and listened to. It really is a valuable service and I hope you all have the knowledge that you are helping so much in the recovery of others.

Your ALL wonderful
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and hugs and applause
 
What a lovely accolade! And really appreciated. To me this is much more than just a forum. I am committed to it, I would say, more than any hospital job I ever did. And I know the same applies to Jamie and the mods as well. But thank you for your sweet words. :thankyou:
 
Hi sunnydays, what a lovely post, so pleased you enjoy the forum, the friendship, information, mentoring and support - we love to be here for you :)

How are you doing?
 
Hello again fellow hippies. I thought I would pop in and give an update.
Well, it's 4 months down the road and I have freedom, independence and full mobility. And I will describe how this operation makes you feel when the healing has done it's job and the normality of a new life has arrived.
So let's begin with being on my feet, working, walking, FUNCTIONING completely without my old friend PAIN.
Pain became a habit and I wait for it to pop up when I do my normal activities. But it doesn't come, so I stop in my tracks and wonder at the experience. I can walk..... Oh how wonderful it is to do something so simple but was such an enormous challenge for 10 years.
I go cane free out of the door, a gadget I had come to feel like a third leg. An essential gadget that I never left the house without. I can lift my leg into my car or up onto a step without having to grab at my jeans to assist with the lifting.
I don't have to pause anymore and wait for my hip to work or for the pain to go or for my leg to accept the weight I'm about to put on it.
I don't have to walk with my holding onto another person for balance, I'm now hands free.....
But the most perfect feeling of all..I don't feel or remember that I have had an replacement as it all feels natural.
Now I do have some stiffness and I do have to remember I'm still recovering, the area around my scar is still numb and I can't walk uphill quickly, I have a slight limp and tendonitus but the joy of walking and moving freely is immense and something I will never take for granted again.
So for those still in the stages of recovery just remember that each stage has it's little miracles waiting to come. And when it does come, be thankful that we live in an age where these operations are so widespread and commonplace and being performed by these dedicated surgeons.
 
Welcome back sunnydays! What a great update. Well done - and long may it continue!
 
I'm 4-1/2 months and while I'm not pain-free, I AM cane-free and it felt like I would never get there! When I look on my recovery as a whole, like you, I am amazed and grateful. Now, just waiting for my muscles to catch up to my will! Congrats to you, your attitude is fantastic!!
 
Oh Sunnydays, how wonderful. I replied to your post, early on, I was just 6 days behind you on my replacement. I share your complete joy and sense of gratitude in those moments where you realize... "hey, I just walked for two miles and nothing hurts!" It is an amazing feeling.
Go take on the world like the warrior that you are!
Warmly,
Desiree
 
Thanks so much for posting as Im in such early days its great to hear that this will soon be in the past. Long may your recovery continue.
 
Oh Puddle Fish, my heart goes out to you. a bilateral! That makes you the warrior queen.
We're here for you, we're here with you and no matter how bleak it sometimes feels, just know that you will be well.
Big hug to you from California!
Desiree
 
Well, it sounds as if you have certainly found "sunny days" as you move along in your recovery with your new hip.
Your message is lovely and will be so appreciated by all the newbies that are spending lots of time on the computer while they heal.

Keep up the happy, good work and thanks for letting us know how well you are doing. :thumb:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom