Guest viewing is limited

THR If only I knew

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just as common in the US and other countries. I've had to do it after each surgery... but to me not really a big deal at all. Just another part of the recovery for the majority of patients, and simply part of having a THR.
 
Sunnydays, I didn't have to have the injections but I did take blood thinning meds. Made me SO dizzy!

Here's a thread from the Library with some tips courtesy of our forum nurse Jo.
 
Hey Sunnydays, I have to do this for a few more days. I really freaked out when I found out I had to do it once a day for 12 days following surgery. The nurse did it once, and I've done it every other time. You've already been doing it, so you know it's more of a convenience and occasional hassle than any big deal. At least to me. Icing before and after makes a big difference, and making sure that the alcohol swab is totally dry. My nurse suggested flipping the air bubble to the top before injecting, and when I do that it is less uncomfortable. So hang in there! It's only temporary!
 
Sunnydays, good for you! I'm champing at the bit to be out on a nice hour walk. Going to a local museum in our downtown area tomorrow to do just that. Trundling around the house just goes so far, eh? I wish I had a store close enough to walk to to pick myself up some naughty goodies. I ask my partner to get something and he brings home the healthy kind! and I love him for that, but I'm craving a salt and vinegar twist right now! Good for you for the pampering and knowing what your body (and self) both need AND can do!
 
Mmmmmm! Food, everyone knows it is my favorite topic!

So pleased you had a pleasant little walk sunnydays and then came back for a rest and munchies - sound like a good recovery, life balance to me..
 
Definitely expel the bubble but do it carefully so you don't expel too much of the fluid in the process or you won't have the full dose!

But when you've done that, be sure to tap the syringe body with a flicked finger so the inevitable drop of fluid is knocked off the tip of the needle. Only needs a gentle flick to do it. But if the fluid is on the outside of the needle when you stick it in, that's what stings. It's not supposed to get into the subdermal layer of the skin where there are lots of tiny sensory nerves!
 
Yes self administered blood thinning injections are common practice here in OZ for 6 weeks post surgery.. I had read Jo's tip once before and followed it with no problem.. must admit though by the time I got to the last few I was over it! but just kept thinking of the protection it was providing to me against blood clots.
 
You know I have realised that I have never looked at an injection ever being inserted into me over the years or ever watched the children have theirs. I always have looked away. Now I feel an expert. Funny how when you 1st do it your brain is yelling Noooo. Anyhow only 10 more to go.
 
You are doing great sunnydays :yes!:
 
I'm having a slight problem which I noticed straight after my op but is continuing on a daily basis which is concerning me.
I'm finding that I'm not getting enough warning to go for a wee.
After my op I would get a sensation but then a soon as I got out of bed it was instantaneous and I had a few accidents. When I got home I had to make up a loo right next to the bed as I was just not making it in time. Even then I had accidents. It has got better and I can now be downstairs, get the sensation, walk upstairs to the bathroom but sometimes I have to hold myself as I'm desperate.
Now this could be because of the catheter or to the epidural. Is this only me and what could be causing it?
It's never happened before.
 
How wise of you to make the correlation with the cath procedure. It definitely can cause some problems after surgery and take a little time getting back to normal. Plus....your body is still purging all the fluids that were pumped in you while in the hospital.

You don't say how long ago your surgery was. It would be helpful if you created a signature with that information in it. Here are instructions on how to do that.
 
Yep had the same problem myself.. it does get better.. also all the drugs pumped into us adds to the issue.
 
AH!!!!!!! now I know why I need to go so often. Thanks again for help.
 
it is nice to have someone come along and say... yes that happened to me, but it got better.
 
Sunnydays, I experienced the same issue and dealt with it for quite awhile post-op. As everyone says - this too shall pass. Just scary when it happens.

Hang in there! You are doing very well!
 
Hi and welcome to the "other side" with your new hip.

Something that I learned from a post that Jo made in someone else's thread was that you could set a timer and get yourself to the bathroom with a certain "schedule" in order to avoid having an accident. This way you are to the bathroom before you are relying on feeling an urge -- hopefully.

I thought that was a very clever idea!! :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
I had the same thing happen, for sure, and found that at the first twinge, I better get up and start my laborious journey to the loo. Now 15 days post-surgery, I find I can hold it much better. Practice those Kegels, girls!
 
I had similar issues a for a couple of years before the surgery. No problem that they could pin down, but I thought it might be related to my hip somehow. It got much worse after the surgery and I was worried. Just as week 6 came around, everything resolved itself completely. No urgency or accidents any more. Phew, I was very relieved. :)
 
Excellent result Tracy... Multiple health issues resolving from THR.. Like it!
 
Hooray! Just did my second to last one! You can do almost anything if there is an end in sight, right Sunnydays?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom