THR If only I knew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting Sunnydays. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that pain but it does sound like you are on your way to a great recovery. Healing thoughts being sent your way.
 
Thank you all for your kind comments. To be honest I think my recovery has been helped by the endless days of rain. This in itself has kept me from doing too much and I have had to sit and do practically nothing in 4 weeks. So in one way I know I haven't pushed myself too far and have given my body time to heal.
Today I feel like I am a caterpillar that has evolved from a chrysalis. I am a new fresh being that has shaken off my past life and emerging into a new and wonderful experience. It's been a long 10 yrs.
Boy am I going to spread my wings and enjoy life.
 
I've just read all your posts....YOU WILL ENJOY your new life without the chronic problem. Life is flippin brilliant beyond THR.. it's different, granted (it's infinietely better!)... but YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH MAJOR surgery, ( which kind'a makes us extra- special people for having the courage and endurance to see it through and come out the other side, this is always only our own journey).

So happy to read the details in your posts of how you realised over time that it was good.

Makes me think....on the day that the Dr's said to me Ok it's time to get this done...had I known that it was a long haul in advance.. would I have not agreed to it?would I have waited or postponed?.....all I can say is now at 16 months later....I AM SO VERY GLAD, it's changed my life, and it has taken time to adjust but I would not have changed a single thing about all of it.

And so it will be for you.

Take care and all the best. x
 
Isn't it a wonderful feeling sunnydays, when suddenly realization that you will be able to get back to a normal pattern of life for you gradually.

You mentioned the rain keeping you in for a few weeks, not a bad thing really. Very important to let that healing happen in the first few weeks. So soften we want to push, but slowly, slowly gets you there just the same and I often think reading threads with aggressive PT it gets you there without injury. Injury, a muscle tear, or ligament strain or pull is not want you want...

So you are wise to be reminding yourself that it is your journey and no one else's.

Sunny days are on the way, in many different ways. :)
 
FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We are brave... this is MAJOR surgery... some of it prescribed, some of it (in my case) decided upon personally. I don't regret my decision.

Night.
 
Hello my lovelies again.
I have a quick question.
All in all my recovery is going through all the usual stages but I'm finding I'm now lacking sleep( not due to pain) but
because of a permanent stretching of the muscles around the hip. I wake up to myself stretching really hard from pelvis to toes and the muscles get a cramp like soreness. I also have a fear that I could stretch the hip socket out as I am stretching really deep muscles.
Anyone had this too?
 
Hi Sunnydays! I had the same problem - constantly stretching awake or asleep. I found that if I did some hamstring stretches frequently during the day I didn't need to stretch in my sleep. Also, are you taking pain meds at night? Even just paracetamol to ease that muscle pain.

Please don't worry about that hip staying in place. It will take far more than a stretch to dislocate.

Sending you a bit of sunshine for your day!
 
Sunnydays,

You are doing so, so well and I feel...sunny!...just reading your post.

For getting lotion on your operated leg and foot (if you OH is occupied): Sitting down, bring up un-operated leg and put lotion on the bottom of that foot. Use this foot like a hand to rub the lotion into the top of operated foot and calf. No restrictions broken! I tried this just yesterday when I realized I was developing alligator skin on the operated foot and calf!

YES! To learning how to stop standing like a stork and favoring the operated leg! Ten years (me too) is a hard pattern to break. I start my PT sessions standing in mountain pose and working hard on balancing my weight equally on both feet. I use a mirror to check the alignment of pelvis. Practice.

And YES! I too wake up with my body doing these intense stretch from pelvis to toes. But I don;t get the cramps, though. aI don't think there could be a danger of stretching out the joint, as it is in a straight line. However, last weeks I was getting bad cramps below my rib to groin. It was so deep I thought at first t was intestines, but then I realized it was deep tissue (guessing psoas). I think our bodies are just in a major-heal cycle!

Wishing you continued joy with your new hip I bet that rain was just what the doctor ordered!

Warmest!
Elle
 
Thank you Jaycey, I'm so glad I mentioned it now as I can see it's all normal.
I have stopped taking pain med's during the night but can see I should go back on go back on them till this stops.
I do hamstring stretches during the day and I flex my muscles when just lying in bed. But this silly stretching lark while I'm asleep is driving me doo-lally...

Thank you Elle, great idea of using opposite foot to rub cream on. Well done lass....What a great idea.
My feet have never looked so unloved.

I'm experiencing aches and pains now that are different day to day. And I suppose that it is the different levels of tissues and muscles that are creaking with use.
The weather is STILL naff, but so glad we don't have that awful heat others are having to manage.
I'm now walking most of the day without a cane and have a little side wobble when walking. Will have my 6 week check up this fri (20th) . Not sure whether to bow down to the god whom has made my life different or just go in and say Ta Mate nice job :)
Because I'm moving better now I'm sort of chomping at the bit to get going but I want to make the most of this recovery and do it right so I have to pull myself in check a bit.
I have to see Occupational Health in a month to start talking about going back to work and the things I can and cannot do. Just want to get back at it and earn some money. Nothing worse than sitting home alone all day with internet and not being able to shop shop shop!!!!
 
Sunnydays, taking a magnesium supplement before bed may help ease the stretching and cramping feeling too.
 
I thought I would do an update as it's week 8 of recovery.
It's been a roller coaster of a ride but I haven't had any major incidents. My brain is telling me to do more but my body pays me back by telling me to stop. I did some gardening a few days ago and have suffered massive muscle pain and stiffness. It also knocked me for 6 and the last few days I haven't been able to stay awake and have been going back to bed to rest. It wasn't just the gardening as I had family visit, so I undertook massive housework and did a barbeque too. Oh boy have I paid the price and was really worried I did some damage. Feel better today and back on full strength painkillers.
I'm walking now with no aids and have a slight wobble but with painkillers I can manage short distances round shops or a short walk around the block. I am managing to drive short distances too which finally gets me out of the house after 8 weeks of confinement. I'm feeling more independent and "in with the world".
I'm still having pain through the night and toss and turn which aggravates the hip and leg. My right leg is still swollen to the knee but my ankles are now lovely and slim until I over do things, then they swell up and I have to elevate again.

I'm slightly stressed out as I have to see occupational health next week to see if I can return to my very demanding and physical job as a challenging behaviour assistant to Autistic children and they can possibly say that I can't do the job I'm employed to do in my contract. I'm so worried as I have done this job for the last 16 years and I have trained and took so many exams. I really can't see them saying I can continue, especially with all the restrictions and healing I will have to do over the next 12 months. I have already been off work since last October.
Many have said, including the OS, to have a desk job but it doesn't work like that. The only desk job would be secretarial work and that would mean training to a high standard and I'm sure they are not going to create a job just for me. This stress alone is making me feel very ill. Just want to get next week over with but I cannot see what the outcome will be.
Has anybody else had this problem? I would welcome some advise please.
 
"this problem"... meaning work?

Personally, I also have a VERY physical job.... I am a sole proprietor of a dog grooming shop. I was back to work in two weeks past surgery (again-sole proprietor), and my first dog was a HUGE Lab named Ike..... 120 lbs. All meaning to say, I'm lifting, dealing with moving beings all the time... which is very stressful at times. Today, I had a Lhaso Apso named "Flurry" who was the "perfect dog"... and it bit me more times than I can count, growled, struggled with me physically through the bathing process, as well as the drying and grooming/styling process.

Separately, I work two other jobs because of this economy which are not as physical... so I'm sure there is something out there which will fully utilize your talents. Can you separatley consult these types of children and be an independent contractor of sorts?

Hang in there!
 
Sharon is right, the magnesium definitely helps:) I'm a Special Ed teacher and returned to work in September 2011 after having my left hip replaced in May 2011. I had my right hip replaced inMay 2012 and will be returning to work in September again. It wasn't easy at first and the first few months after side #1 were a huge energy drain but it worked out. Just got my class list for Sept.....3 with Autism, 4 SLD, 2 Other, 1 Visually Imp. and 2 Communication Imp. Seems like a great group and I'm really excited. I imagine your group is more of a self-contained setting and might have a higher level of incidents. You didn't give an age range of the students you're working with, but unless they are older (larger) and you are doing a lot of holding and restraining, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to return at some point:) if they are large kids, perhaps you could ask to be moved to a younger group. Good luck!
Dee
 
Sunnydays, Magnesium is not only fantastic for cramps, but is THE mineral for stress! There are different types of Mag, so always consider and read the label to ensure you get the right balance.

I am keen to see how you went/go with work... Take care.
 
Hi Guys, I have popped in most days but haven't felt like posting as each day brings different aches and pains and I don't like to whine much. Thank you for those that have answered my posts.
Well I'm week 10. Will be going back to work in Sept. But Occupational Health want to visit my works and we will all discuss what I need etc. I hate being the center of attention and just want to go back to work normally. Anyway I expect I will be given groups to work with for the next year until I'm fully fit and can manage my job.
My next few problems in the recovery are that I'm still having to take pain killers throughout the day and night to function without crutches and to move around the house and short walks and to sleep. I'm still having cramps and stretching episodes and I know some have mention Magnesium but I'm not allowed due to blood pressure tablets. I think they mess them up a bit. Which is a shame because I really would like a pain free and comfortable nights sleep.
I now have Tendonitus back which is crippling when I wake up or sit for half an hour. This is really getting me down as I'm due back at work in a few weeks and it all seems added problems. I'm just worried that I'm going to hobble back to work, tired, in pain and being no use to anyone. (feeling down today. Can you tell? lol)
 
Aw, Sunny, if you can't whine here, then where can you whine? And it's not whining to be concerned about pain ten weeks out. On the other hand, it's not abnormal to still have pain ten weeks out either.

I'm tagging Josephine; for you, to comment about the pain. However, Jo will want to know what pain meds and dosages you are still taking. It may be that you need more and/or different combo to get the most effective relief at this stage. After my first THR, I was a little deflated that after all the dust settled, I needed to stay on my Celebrex for a good five months after surgery. One of my major goals was (and still is!) to be medication-free. I did reach that goal entirely after SEVEN months, but since my other hip started acting up several months later, it was a short-lived success. I'm only at five weeks post-op now for the second hip, and I know not to rush myself off meds. Weaning very slowly, but feeling great as a result.

I don't know what else to suggest for the cramping. I wonder if stretching before bed would help. I get a whole lot of hamstring tightness, and it often makes me restless, especially at night. But when my PT stretches it out, it feels so wonderfully calmed down. I'm done with PT, so now I have to do stretches on my own. Not quite as effective, but they do help me. It may also be that you need a stronger dose of your pain meds to get you sleeping better too.

Keep in mind that each day and each week brings more healing. By September, you may look back at this post and wonder why you were so concerned. Down days....we all have them....even with the easiest of recoveries. Remember that you will continue with this healing process for a good 1 to 2 years before you are complete. Patience, grasshopper.

Sharon
 
I'm week 10. Will be going back to work in Sept. But Occupational Health want to visit my works and we will all discuss what I need etc. I hate being the centre of attention and just want to go back to work normally.
Dear me! They are only trying to help you and make sure your work doesn't harm you. Would you seriously like it if they ignored you and expected to you work normally only to find something happened and you had to have a couple or three more months off? No, of course not! You let them do their job and don't worry about being the centre of attention! As a matter of interest, did you feel that way when you had your hip done? :wink:
My next few problems in the recovery are that I'm still having to take pain killers throughout the day and night to function without crutches and to move around the house and short walks and to sleep. I'm still having cramps and stretching episodes (and) tendonitus back which is crippling when I wake up or sit for half an hour.
Of course those two couldn't be connected, could they? Of course they are! Sounds to me you've been doing far too much and are now reaping the "reward" of your endeavours! I read in a previous post about you gardening and cleaning the house because you were having visitors! That's not good for you.

Don't be down about still taking pain killers, they are your friend and will help you get back on track. By the way, what medications are you prescribed? How often do you take them and how much each time?

Are you doing any physio or exercises at home?

Have you talked to your GP about the cramps and this pain? (Which is where, exactly. You haven't mentioned that!)
 
Today I have raging toothache and half my face is swollen so I'm waiting for 9 am to call the dentist. Grrrrrrr at all this blooming pain.
Anyway Josephine. yes I know Occupational Health are doing their job, I was just sounding off. But thank you for your advice.
The gardening and housework was weeks ago, since then I've took it slowly.
I'm on Cocodamol 500g take 2 four times a day.
No I haven't spoken to my doctor yet about the cramps and stretching, as I just thought it was part of the recovery.
Tendonitus is very painful in the mornings and when I sit but as usual it decreases the more I move around.
I'm very sorry for not mentioning where the pain is. It is mostly my thigh, my tendons and knee.
I have been taking cocodamol for the best part of a year now so have a few concerns about long term use.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom