Bilateral THR I rode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimbo...sounds to me like you have not met the right horse!!

The Black Stallion is a beautiful movie.

I hope you are feeling better and healing well!

C4
 
Too weird...I feel like a normal human being just over 5 months post op

Not thinking about my hips 24/7 anymore...how weird is that!
I can get in my truck w a 3" body lift, (means it is taller than a normal truck), w/out my step stool....this is bizzare!!:shk:

I have been riding almost daily in the arena and absolutely no pain!!! I am even dismounting to the ground and not using the mounting block to get off on...how weird is that!! Like a normal person

Sometimes I feel like running but do not because I am not supposed to.:D

I can now use the upstairs lavratory as stairs mean nothing to me anymore.

I can walk and keep up w/ my daughter.

I can walk through grocery and dept. stores and not need the electric scooter cart thing!!

I can walk upright w/out being bent over.:p

My daughter says I look normal! How weird is that!!

Good things do not usually happen to me so I feel guilty, almost!:bow:

The pain in my lower back has been absent for a while and I am doing my farm chores full tilt!

How weird all this seems!

And I lost my cane a few weeks ago...I think that has helped!:ch-w:

Being pain free and mobile is taking some getting used to!!

Still feel the slight nerve damage & have a slight limp but it is a cake walk to where I have been.

Good things do not usually happen to me.......
 
Nothin' wierd about it...it's about time I would say :ch-w:! Perhaps your luck has changed C4 :thmb:. It's about time and hopefully continues from here on.:wahey:YOU GO GIRL!!!
 
C4-thats awesome:jump:I dont think its weird at all, I think that you have done a great job and you deserve this:thmb: I am so happy for you! Keep up the good work:D
 
How wonderful! You are a great example to others awaiting surgery, C4.

By the way, I think when you doctor said no running, he meant no sport running like joggers do. Of course you can run such as if you need to catch a horse or get to the phone quickly or if there's a fire! Short sprints aren't going to do any harm. Not that I agree with him anyway - I think mounting from the ground has is far more risky than taking a short run. Anyway, people with THRs are running, apparently without any problems or repercussions. I found these comments around the interwebs:

broken link removed: https://www.asics.co.uk/running/knowledge/stretching-for-runners/ 2000 London Marathon
8 weeks ago I had a right hip replacement and want to know how to begin running once again. I am 52 yrs of age and have done a 35min 10k, albeit a few years ago, and 2hr 47mins for the 2000 London Marathon. I accept my days of serious running are probably over but just want to know how I can safely begin jogging/running again. The surgeon says I will be ok to run but never really said how or when.
LINK
Angie has struggled to regain her old pace after a hip replacement operation 4 years ago, but is still keen to run.
(meaning she is presently running for practice)
​

broken link removed: https://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/72851-nine-foot-tall-robot-prepares.html 2008 London Marathon
Lloyd said, "I wanted to do something a little different this year. I chose a robot because I am running for the Autism Trust. I have recently had my second hip replacement and I probably I have as much metal in me as any robot.
broken link removed: https://helensburghaac.co.uk/?page_id=1830 Dumbarton 10k – Thursday 3 June 2010
Perhaps the loudest cheer of the evening went up for David MacDonald returning to racing after a recent hip replacement operation completing the course in 1.03.50mins.

Now obviously this doesn't mean that everybody can take it cart blanche that they can just go out there and run - the people quoted here were already athletes. But the activity of running is often put down by surgeons as a cma kind of prohibition in case a patient goes back with problems and says "But you never said I couldn't do (x, y or z)"! Just depends how much you want out of life, really. (that comment is addressed to readership at large)
 
C4 it was your turn for good things. Well done you! You have been through so much and come through a winner. I am so happy to hear you are feeling back to normal again.

This will be a great Christmas for you I am sure.
 
Thank you all!

Interesting Joesephine.
I mount from a mounting block...I just have been dismounting to soft ground by sliding down ever so gently...well I will just have to try a short sprint this afternoon!!

It is my truck I do not have to use the step stool for getting in anymore, but do on occassion.

What is with photo bucket deleting the smiley icons?

C4
 
Thanks for posting that Jo - I am a runner and will still b a runner regardless of what my OS (or anyone/everyone else) says...eventually :)

xoxoxxo,

Linda.
 
What's going on?The above posts have a square box on them saying this image has been deleted or moved Photobucket. It covers the writing, Is it just me with this problem?
 
The problem with PhotoBucket and the smileys (and possibly some photos) is a glitch that you may see forum-wide for a while. Jo and I are working to clean things up and restore what we can. Sorry!
 
Hi C4
Hang on tight to the good things that are beginning to happen to you. You deserve it!!! :thmb:

I enjoyed your post alot as I can remember all that you've gone through and in 5 short months have regained your life. I remember your 5 week post and how you thought you weren't healing fast enough.:D It's amazing isn't it.. I can't believe how well my hip feels at the 11 week stage.. my leg strength is coming back and both legs are the same size again.. It's nice to walk without limping, although the limp does appear when I'm tired and it's the end of the day.

Great Post... and I agree.. this is so good for new "post op" hippies to read..
 
I do have a limp...but try hard not to.

My OS said he lengthened a leg and evened them out...however, I feel like my left is a tad shorter....oh well....

I jogged to the telephone pole and back...it works!

Well, I will never see a 7 mile minute again...but who cares...ontop of a horse I can do a lot better than that!!:chrgrn:

Yes Sylvia, at 5.5 weeks I felt hopless and weak. 12 weeks I finally turend a corner...and in the past 3 or so weeks I have turned another and have much greater endurance. It is hard to be down when soooo much has to be done.

C4:myxm: some new icons..cool
 
On 12/22 I will be 6 mos. post op.

Today I am feeling some deep thigh throbbing in my left thigh that is not steady but random.

I have been pushing the wheelbarrow full of manure through deep sticky mud the past couple of days....is this unusual to feel with heavy labor at this stage?:pzld:

I also have been getting in my truck w/ the 3" body lift w/out my stool and the left leg is the push off leg....

C4
 
I'm sure what you're feeling is related to your activity, Cfour.....I wouldn't worry about it. If you try to take it a little easy for a few days and take some over-the-counter pain meds (Aleve and/or Tylenol), it should get better with a little time.
 
Know the feeling well C4. That is the ache that I have almost all the time. You are probably putting too much weight on it from both of these things. I bet it is the foot that you lead with, am I correct? The one you step up with and the one you start off whith pushing the wheelbarrell?

In other words, your dominant leg...
 
Hmmm...it is the weaker leg...the one I have the limp on...I think it is shorter.

I cannot rest...starting tonight through Mon. AM I have an additional barn of horses to care for and clean up after....:wink:
 
So this would not be "unusal" then under the circumstances.

Also I have been wanting to ask...when the OS told me that my hips were some of the worst he had seen because I had no cartilage left in the joints and the hips were starting to fuse..what exactly does it mean to fuse? What would have happened w/out the replacements??
 
Oops! Mine is in the dominant one, but that is my operated leg. Sorry...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom