TKR I Made It To the Promised Land

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it appears your'e coming along quite well! :SUNsmile: You"ll soon be ready to have tea with the cabana boys. I don't think shooters with the warriors would be a good idea at this point but you'll get there.
I think it's time for me to call it a day. This was the last day of school and the little darlings have drained every last drop of get up and go from my poor aching body.:yawn: I'll see you tomorrow
Wanda
 
:iagree: Hope things are still moving along nicely. :SUNsmile:
 
Hello everyone,
Update...week 4...i have been doing in home therapy and my rom is 105 and flat o. I am tootling about without my cane.
And am feeling much better emotional. I have tapered down on the Percocet 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Still having problems sleeping
Knee cramps, but they are not too bad. I do c.p.m machine 3x a day and exercises 3x aday. I can even balance on my replacement knee
And do all the exercises my p.t has me do.
I hope everyone is doing well, I,m thinking of you all daily......diana
 
Good to hear from you Diana! Sounds like you are doing brilliantly :SUNsmile: You are certainly setting a great example for the June Sunbeams!
Unfortunately I am not doing so well - ROM of 55 and masses of swelling - so you are an inspiration. How long do you stay on the CPM machine for? And are you swollen afterwards? Maybe I should think about hiring one.

And as for balancing on your operated knee ....Well Done You :happydance:
 
Hello horsey lady,
I was one of the lucky few who had hardly any swelling. I am in c.p.m machine 3x a day for1-2 hours at a time, after each session I then exercise. Do you have an ice machine. Greatest invention of all time
Icing and elevating are the 2 most important things for swelling, when the swelling goes down rom will go up. I am going through so
Much ice, I ice overnight and while in c.p.m machine.
I hope you are feeling better, I seem to have turned a corner on week 4
Thinking of you......hugs.....diana
 
I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better.:happydance:I felt so bad when you were having such a hard time with the blues.The sad thing is there is nothing anyone can say to make you feel better when those times hit.
Your poor family must be relieved that you are returning to normal but I'm sure they understood. I sometimes suffer from migraine. I have very little pain but light and sound make me almost insane. I remember one time sitting here at my desk as my husband was doing the dishes and just chatting to me. I had this terrible feeling come over me that if he said one more word I would jump up and attack him. He has learned to speak only when spoken to during these migraines. He's a fast learner and his ex wife trained him well.:rotfl:
Wanda
 
Im so glad to hear you have turned the corner! Your ROM sounds terrific too! keep up the great work...I need someone to look up to right now, feeling alittle down in the dumps. I know its temporary, but im dealing with it a day at a time right now.
 
Wow Diana! You are doing really well with your knee recovery! Great ROM and balance :yay:
Sounds as though you will soon be able to keep up with the warriors!
Take good care of yourself :friends:
 
Hello June sunbeams,
I hope everyone is doing well. I had a slight misstep with my pain meds and had to go all day without them.
Without them I can,t walk unassisted, I don,t sleep. My pain is more a tightness of my whole leg, my p.t said that that is
Still pain. It is so hot here .( Boston) we are having a heat wave ( I hate the heat) next surgery I will have in the winter.
I seem to wake up every night at 2:30 and can,t get back to sleep. I hope this part get,s straightened out quickly.
If any off you have a minute please go to pre-op side & wish scared in ca. Good luck with her surgery this Friday
She is having btkr.... She posts under my dreaded count down begins.....her real name is Debbie
June sunbeams always support one another.....
Rock on people......
Talk soon,
Diana
 
:friends:

I know the feeling with the pain meds - it is hard to get the right level at this stage. I have tried reducing the number I take but then I get more pain and can do less
 
Same thing here with pain meds. I want to reduce because I get the blues somethin fierce, but removing gives me pain :(
 
new knee in June Hey Diana, I'm not lost, just busy. You know the last minute things but, most of all I've been cramming in FUN.:snork: All set for Tuesday.
Have you got the pain meds sorted out? Seems to be a snag most everyone hits along with the blues and impatience. I've got all that to look forward to!! Goody.:snork: At least by the time I get to those stages you guys will be pros and will straighten me out.:)
 
Hello everyone,
I am starting week 5 & have encountered a swelling problem....I am 110-0 according to my p.t.
I have transitioned to a cane. I have been doing cpm machine 3 times a day for one & half hours & then exercising
Right after. Starting today, I am taking the day off from any type of exercising.....only icing, elevating & gentle
Stretching.....my question is...is it possible to ice too much & also the weathers here has been horrendous
For the last week thunder storms everyday....next week the same...torrential thunder storms, down pours & hail every day
Can the weather effect swelling.....it sure seems like it....now that I think about it that is when swelling & tightness
Started.swelling is only in knee.....no were else
Any comments welcome
Thank you,
Diana
 
Goodness me - no idea about the swelling but ......Diana has obviously moved to the UK! Grotty weather! :)
I blame the Martians or ......could it be them there naughty lads!
I still ice, especially in the evenings but no longer during the night.
 
I have definitely felt more stiffness and aching when we have cold damp days :yes:

Let's hope for more sunbeam weather :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks puffin,
I took yesterday off from cpm & exercises...I feel much better today :)
Back to the grind of therapy.& exercising :kittykiss:
Talk soon,
Diana
 
Diana, stormy weather definitely CAN affect your pain by increasing swelling! The mechanism is that storms and even just rain are preceded by a drop in barometric pressure. The lower the air pressure outside your knee, the higher the pressure from the fluid inside, et voilĂ : swelling! Same reason those of us with sinus problems are more miserable during icky weather--lower pressure outside the body, more pressure inside the sinuses and on the brain, leading to headache.

Doesn't affect just the human body, either. If you use a fountain pen, ever notice it is likelier to "ooze" or downright leak when it's stormy out, you're ascending on a flight, or even going up in an elevator in a tall building? There is air in the barrel, convertor, cartridge, or rubber sac of the pen, which air increases as you use up the ink. If there is lower air pressure outside the pen, stands to reason the air inside the pen expands and forces ink out the feed and nib....and on to your paper, pocket or fingers! Now, if that happens with a fountain pen, stands to reason it happens inside your knee too. (At least the fluid doesn't leak out our knees)!
 
Hi Diana, I just read on Toni's thread you had a rough day. I hope the PT wasn't too brutal. If it was, keep a frying pan handy next time. You'll know how to use it.:snork: When I had my pre op I told them I was not a difficult patient but when it comes to therapy I will not permit any one to force my knees. I will be concentrating on healing. The nurse actually agreed with me. I am not going to the hospital where the little tyrant that was doing the joint class works.:)
Please take care of yourself. I'm going to miss you all for the next few days unless I get internet access in the Hospital
Wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom