Guest viewing is limited

THR I actually made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My muscle spasms are horrible. They manly come on when I'm relaxing and ready to take a nap. Starts off in my operated leg then moves around my body.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th
 
I'm taking 20mg of oxicontin xr every twelve hours and 10/325 of hydrocodon every 4 hours. I also take 10mg of flexural 3 times a day.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th


Oxycontin is a 12 hr sustained release form of oxycodone. My percoset prescription actually stated: 1 - 2 tablets every 6 hours. So that would be 5 - 10mg, every 6 hours, so...a max of 40mg a day. (But the most I ever took was 20mg.) 20mg of oxycontin/12 hours would be the same dose. But @rans0m00 is taking 20mg every 3 hours - which is 20mg x 8 = 160mg a day!! And then 20mg oxycontin twice a day?? How can that be?

I mean that cannot be right, can it? It does sound like a seriously addictive dose, and I would ask my doc about it. Hydrocodone is a milder drug, but I just think it's scary taking that in addition to that much oxy.

I'm no doctor guys...and I don't mean to be sticking my nose in your business...but this just sounds scary.
 
@Chessie it does sound scary and before taking it so long I would have had the same opinion as you. This why I also feel people that have never had chronic pain have no business making laws pertaining to pain medication. Very few actually have a good understanding of how tolerance and the unpredictable nature of pain. So they see a dose like mine and are thinking what doctor in their right mind would ever prescribe this but for me on pain management it's on the being reserved side not the over prescribing side.

When you say addictive all doses are addictive. When it comes to addiction there are two sides of it... Physical and mental. Physical addiction/dependence is what happens to anyone if they take opiates daily. I have been taking them daily for over a year already. So being physically addicted or dependent is just a fact of life at the moment. What is not okay is a mental addiction. I have never really understood people being mentally addicted to pain pills.... I just don't find them special. They reduce pain and that is about it.

Due to my tolerance the dose is up there even for my comfort level but as far goes pain relief it's slightly low. Thanks to my tolerance a 10mg dose would probably send me into withdrawals.
 
@rbtaylor14 hopefully the flexeril is helping with it. Mine never left the leg that was operated on thankfully. As each day passes the spasms are less frequent and less severe. Mine I don't think we're ever as bad as yours though. If the flexeril isn't cutting it you might want to talk with your Dr about soma. I had it in the past due to a back injury and the spasms that followed. It worked much better than the other muscle relaxants.
 
I have been on the hydrocodon 10/325 for more than 5 years previously I was on 5/500 since the year 2001. I have chronic back pain and have been to several doctors and they all say that I need back surgery. I want to put the surgery off as long as I can. Prior to my hip surgery I was only taking the hydrocodon 10/325 3 times a day. The doctor and I have talked about the oxicontin before but I couldn't afford it because I didn't have health insurance and hydrocodon was what I could afford. Now that I have insurance and after I get my other hip replaced I plan on going back to the pain center and see what my options are. I have always disliked taking pills. I just don't like how it makes me feel. But because of the pain it's not a option.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th
 
@rans0m00 I don't like muscle relaxants but for the time being I'm talking them to lessen the spasms. Once they are gone so are the pills.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th
 
@rans0m00 - okay - I guess you already know far more about it than I do. I didn't realize that you had been taking this stuff so long and did in fact have a real addiction. I guess your doc is okay with it otherwise he would not have prescribed it. I just saw those amounts and thought Holy cr@p! :shrug: We had a percoset addiction issue in my family and it was really hard for the person to get off of them..but again, I am sure you are aware of such issues. I hope you can reduce the doses soon. :fingersx:

You too @rbtaylor14 - I know it stinks having to take this stuff.
 
@rbtaylor14 was that daily use of hydrocodone for the past 13yrs? When I started it I was taking similar meds for back pain and then figured out it was the Tylenol that gave me such bad headaches. So onto just oxycodone since you can't get just hydrocodone without something else. Then didn't like the yoyo of the ir pills so switched to oxycontin and so I would take 2 pills per day and until the hip went so bad most days pain was under control. We will see how things go but with the back pain I don't know if I will ever be fully off the pills but I would just settle for getting down to smaller doses again.

When it comes to the muscle relaxers soma didn't do anything except relax the muscles. Feels completely different to me than the others. So if you end up stuck on it for a while and dislike the way flexeril makes you feel then it's worth giving it a shot.
 
Yes 13 years of daily use. I don't have headaches like you talked about.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th
 
@rbtaylor14 ugh I am not liking forward to that time. Every day I have been taking them for 1-1.5yrs but as needed for quite a bit longer. Back surgery is the fix for mine but they say it's too premature. I'm not complaining about waiting... Not a fan of surgery and much less when it involves my back.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.


This is my hip as of 7/28. Hopefully it keeps healing so well. At least this way I won't have to tell anyone any weird shark stories when asked about my scar.
 
:shocked:How much exposure to others is this hip going to get? No one but hubby and me ever see mine.
 
@bottomshollow well if it's too shocking for most I'll take it down. As far goes what you're really looking at that is mostly a side shot so no risk of anyone seeing anything actually personal.
 
@rans0m00, no, no don't take it down. Not really shocking---just pulling your leg with the suggestion that you'd need a shark story :heehee:
 
@bottomshollow Ahh kk wasn't quite sure if I had partially blinded you in the morning or if you were talking about the others.

The shark story is mostly a joke but how many people will see my scar is pretty high. So I'm about to be 33 but I am the first person in my circle of friends to have anything majorily go wrong and the only thing to blame for it being bad luck. I don't think I have any friends of less than 5yrs so they have all seen how I used to be and the progress of all of this. Health updates and some of the guys wanting to see the scar so far has been pretty common.

When it comes to almost anything in life if someone asks me a serious question I will give them the best answer I can. So if they want to see what it looks like then I don't have any problem showing them.

As odd as this sounds I have had countless other invasions of privacy at the hands of random medical staff.... So my friends seeing it and then me having a little fun with the back story for those that don't already know is so not beyond me. I would rather my friends take care of me than the random medical staff any day.

But in the future please don't pull my leg till at least 3 months post surgery. If said leg must be pulled please do so after 8am.

After I had a little coffee I was like ohhh... I know what she meant now... My bad.
 
Hey @rans0m00 I think your scar looks great! I can't tell what is up or down from the pic...is that an anterior? Is that the front of your hip or the backside?

I am hoping my scar keeps dwindling down to nothing because it will definitely be seen - it will be fully visible at the beach in my swimsuit.
 
Never thought of claiming a shark bite! Great idea! :heehee:
 
[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.
@rans0m00, loved your post in response to scar exposure. And I promise not to try pulling your leg for another month or so.

When I went in for a six weeks check up with my hip and the PA said he wanted to take a look at the scar---I smiled at him and told him I knew he just wanted to look at my tush :rotfl:.

I haven't had anyone in all these years ask to see my scar, but then who really wants to look at an old lady's rear!
 
@Chessie I'm standing up in that photo. So the blue shirt at the top is close to my waist. I had a posterior. I'm pretty small so guessing the scar is 3-4inches. I don't think I have enough room for anything else. Your location and size would be an issue for a lot of people but the photo you posted the scar was small and I bet with a little tlc it will be barely noticeable. I bet at the worse it doesn't tan like the rest of the skin.

@Jaycey on my ankle surgery they closed it with staples and it looks like a small pointy teethed thing just bit me on the ankle. This scar is bigger so I was going to claim a baby shark if I ended up with staples but no staples. So when the bandage comes off I'll just be trying to make it as small as possible.

@bottomshollow your response to the PA is priceless!

So far every visitor I have had wants to see it. My friends are pretty close as far goes boundaries we just lost them as time has gone by. It's a big box of tmi to be honest.
 
Just a little update. Things are still healing pretty good. Old pains are going away and some new ones are showing up. Overall pain is quite low. My bandage has been a headache... It was hurting and so looked today to find out why and a small area of the incision had come open. Killed my plans of having my first bandage free shower. Small complaint but oddly I was really looking forward to that little bit of normalcy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom