THR I actually made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rans0m00 , still early days my friend. Easy does it. If you try the elliptical no resistance for a bit. You are still using a walker - you need to walk before you can run. You'll get there.
 
@Jaycey I planned on no resistance to very little resistance. Probably 15 minutes for the first few times. See how my body does and go from there. I'm looking forward to ditching the Walker but don't have a cane yet... So stuck waiting till I at least get a cane. Even then I don't know if I can abandon the walker totally. I guess we will see what my body tells me.

Any advice on canes? Planned to just go to the medical supply place and buy just a generic whatever cane. I have never had to use one before so I don't reslly know how to pick a good one.
 
@rans0m00 , I never used a cane. I was on one elbow crutch for 7 months before my LTHR. I preferred that to a walker or cane. Walker was very awkward for me and a cane didn't provide any stability. I could get around pretty well on the one crutch and finally ditched it when I started leaving it behind.

If you get a cane or crutch, be sure you are measured for either. They must be correct for your height so you aren't leaning wrong. A medical supply shop should be able to advise you.
 
@Jaycey I have a nice pair of elbow crutches since I preferred to use them while I was NWB. The only reason I'm not going back to them is I'm afraid it will bring back bad habits I had while using them. The idea with the cane is it will be fresh territory and doesn't provide the support a walker or elbow crutch does... So it should force me to walk and develop that way. This idea might not pan out and if it doesn't then I havd the elbow crutch waiting in the closet.
 
You don't have a cane? Get it now - you will be ready for it very soon! This is the one I bought. I ditched my walker completely after 5 days and would have been lost without this. It's folding, and adjustable. Make sure you adjust it to the same height as your walker. You should be standing up straight when you use the walker and the cane...make sure you are not leaning.

https://www.amazon.com/Ez2care-Adjustable-Folding-Carrying-Metallic/dp/B006RB5Y9I/?tag=ate362da-20

I don't use it much anymore, but I do take it to work and on my long walks, just in case I get tired.
 
Well another almost sleepless night. Fell asleep fairly easy and then back up like I had slept 12hrs but only 2hrs later... Oh well on to staring at the ceiling and maybe more sleep.
 
@Jaycey I'm pretty sure mine is a mix of meds and pain. The quality of sleep on the meds is low and then when they wear off the pain is enough to wake me out of my sleep and so then more meds go in and it's just a cycle all night.

An odd thing I started feeling yesterday but today it's very noticeable. So I'm about 18 days post op and I'm achy all over. Started just in my post-op leg as expected and then today I'm sore to the touch about everywhere. Has this happened to anyone else or have an idea as to why?

Meds are the same and diet is close to the same.... Oh I stopped the lovenox on Tuesday. Oddly craving sweets like crazy.... I never crave actual candy. Only new body thing that is noticeable is increased muscle spasms... But I have also been icing less... So makes sense on that front.

@Chessie I liked the cane you sent me the link to but ended up going with a non folding version. I don't carry anything to store a folding cane so a solid one is just as easy. I went with this one

Hugo Mobility Adjustable Derby Handle Cane with Reflective Strap, Smoke
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IV0AZ6/?tag=ate362da-20

I think it will fit my needs without looking too ugly... Its plain just like me ☺
 
Have you thought of setting an alarm for your meds if you are waking in pain?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@rans0m00 - I think you picked out a great cane. To be honest, I have not had a need to fold mine so far, and given that I am not really using that much anymore, I probably won't. I like the cushioned handle - I wish mine had that! That is the only thing that bothers me about it - mine was sort of hard on my hands if I was using it for any length of time. I think you will like yours a lot. :)
 
@muckingabout I wake up every 4hrs anyways... I can take my meds every 3hrs but I'm really trying to not take them so often... 1hr shouldn't make that much of a difference... I would think unless something is wrong I should be needing less meds... Not the same as I was taking right after I got home from the hospital :-(

@Chessie yeah... Hopefully I won't be on it for long but never know.... This walking around a little bit has proven to be harder than I thought it would be.
 
I can take my meds every 3hrs but I'm really trying to not take them so often... 1hr shouldn't make that much of a difference... I would think unless something is wrong I should be needing less meds...
You are only days out of surgery. Yes, 1 hour makes a bit difference. At this stage you must stay ahead of the pain. Take your pain meds regularly, as prescribed, around the clock. The achy feeling is post op pain and it can be controlled.
 
Many of us stayed on meds for 6 weeks +. It does not mean you are weak. It means you need to control the pain to get moving again. You will know when it's time to cut down. You start forgetting doses - usually around midday.
 
@Jaycey it's not really a weak issue... Its more of a feels like I'm stuck at the moment. My body is healing and everything else is improving so is seems to make sense the pain should be less and so should the meds. It just doesn't seem to be working that way.
 
But look at the calendar. I know it may seem a long time but at only 19 days out - it's still early. You are nearing what I call the one month slump. For weeks you see major improvement. Heck, anything is better than the bone on bone pain. Then suddenly every day seems the same. Believe me - lots still going on. Major healing is taking place and your body is using every ounce of energy to do this. Just keep at it. In a few short weeks you will see dramatic improvement.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.
@rans0m00, took my pain meds for a full month then tapered for a couple of weeks. Some of us can stop sooner than others, but you should take them as long as you NEED them. Pain is NOT conducive to healing.

Here are a couple of mental posters for you to mull over:

[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.
[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.
Take care. We care.
 
@Jaycey @bottomshollow you are both right. I probably am expecting the leaps and bounds like I have been experiencing. I guess patience is what I will need to be working on.
 
My concern is that people whose pain is not well-managed will not be able to work as hard on their rehab. Even if you are a person who is usually able to tough it out through pain, your muscles, etc can tense up in anticipation of pain and you'll not be able to work through your full range of motion and you won't want to walk as far.

Please keep in mind, that my opinion/experience is that I have no medical background and I'm only 4 days out from THR :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom