@rans0m00 , it can take awhile to get everything in balance again. And I do remember everything seemed to move in slow motion. Hang in there - what seems impossible today will be easy tomorrow. You are doing great!
@rans0m00, sorry about the pain management issue but hopefully you're in a better place now. Just keep bugging the nurses until you're satisfied with the outcome. Keep posting so we can keep up with your amazing progress !
Just a late night follow up. First night home. Would have posted yesterday but was either moving or was sleeping... That was my day.
The pain was finally under control after some iv toradol for 2 days. It worked wonders on top of the oxy 20 every 3hrs and ice on top of that. I have switched over to the take the pain meds by the clock and who cares if it seems like over medicating. Once I was on top of the pain it was much easier to deal with on all levels.
My recovery was a little bumpy... At first they had me on diluadid which kept dropping my blood pressure so then I would sit up and it would plummet along with my o2. On day 2 in the morning I took my diluadid then tried ot/pt and wasn't going to happen. Didn't take anymore diluadid after that and blood pressure issues went way down. By the afternoon I was up and using my walker to do whatever. Getting in and out of bed is some of the hardest work I have done in I don't know how long. So day two passes and I'm moving but my pain is still fairly out of control. The Dr sticks me on toradol and I start taking meds by the clock. Night and say difference. That night I was up moving around to the bathroom or whatever with little to no help.
Wednesday I just bounced between being active and sleeping or eating. Made the day go by much faster.
My partner stayed with me till Wednesday. Which was really a good thing. On Monday I was still such a mess I couldn't take care of anything.
After she left I was able to do most things on my own. So except the company it was a big loss. Only thing that I always needed help with was getting the compression boots off my feet. They pretty much kept me in bed unless someone else was there with me.
Thursday I was active from 6am to I think 3pm.... Its a little bit of a blur and way too much activity.... Had to do pt and then get everything ready to go and then deal with getting the meds from the pharmacy after discharge then home. I was so tired at that point I just crawled into bed and except my alarm for taking my meds I haven't woken up. Awake at the moment because I'm decently sure I missed a dose but not wanting to possibly double dose... Already taking way above what I used to take so the wd and the constipation should be way worse. I cleared everything out before I went the hospital so shouldn't need to have a bm until yesterday or today. Have been taking a stool softener and a laxative though. Just to make sure.
Today I will be seeing my home health care people for the first time. A nurse should be coming by to stab me with lovenox today and then another to work on pt. Not so much fun but it's the way it goes.
It was a little funny how things flipped Monday I get out of surgery and into the recovery room by 10am....by 10:02 I could start remembering things... Hip kinda burned but beyond that it wasn't too crazy. As I became less numb the burning only increased. I then just asked for me more meds... They gave me more and then still needed more... And about 2hrs later I was asking again for more. So the pain calms down... I'm thinking you know this isn't so bad... Having a dead leg kinda sucks but it will come around. Then pt comes in and they get me up and I make it almost to the bathroom until my blood pressure starts to drop. We get back to the bed and I lay there in a pool of sweat like I ran a marathon and I just can't take another step. Then the evening comes on.... Pain is flat out of control I'm thinking why would anyone want to get this done?!?! Sure my hip hurt before but if I was taking all the meds I am taking now then... I wouldn't have even come in for surgery... So instead I switched off to pain that throwing meds at won't tame. By then I am getting so sick I can't hold down anything so just vomiting and hating life. That night I can't get up to go to the bathroom and they have me on fairly high iv fluids. So it is killing me to move but I still have to pee without getting it on me. Thankfully I am a boy and was able to adjust things to achieve this. So every 45 minutes I woke up and was filling half of the thing... I think half was 500ml. I had flat had it by morning. Then the blood pressure thing happens and I can't even get out of bed.... I'm frustrated. Recompiled myself and from there on out things went better due to med changes and attitude changes.
I'll quit rambling on for now.
Laying in bed wishing I had a mechanic recliner. This flat on your back stuff stinks. Even with stacking pillows the hospital bed adjusted so easier I would prefer it. I plan to look into some foam wedges or whatever to lift my knees a little and upper body. It appears my incision is glued shut. So maybe less scaring. Not going to complain since my hip is seen as fair amount.
Sorry you had a tough couple of days, and good to hear that meds have been worked out and things are looking up. Follow the mantras and things will continue to steadily improve for you.
@bottomshollow thank you. I will be sticking around for a bit. The support I received here helped me mentally quite a bit in the pre-op. The post op I was so beside myself the hospital staff could barely help. Now that I am home a new adventure will be beginning soon. Have quit a few things I need to build myself up to doing again. Just wait for the post of me being back on my road bike again. That will be a pretty sweet one.
@rans0m00, really sorry that you had a miserable few days and I sure hope all that is now behind you. Sending positive thoughts your way for a great recovery from here on!!!!!
@rans0m00 - So sorry you have had such a rough time.
Why did I think we had the same surgery date? Oh that's right - we did originally, but you had to cancel with that surgeon - so you are 6 days behind me. If it helps any, I think the worst is behind you! I am pretty much ready to try driving at this point.
@insexec it happens. Things seem to be turning around now so in the end it is just fine. At the time I was second guessing my decision though.
@Chessie yep it was a little rough. It was a posterior approach. The biggest issues I think I had were my issues with the diluadid... Didn't identify that one till later. Could have saved myself quite a few issues if we had just gambled on oxy and toradol from the start.
The rest comes down to my poor muscle condition on that side. I had been over compensating with my left leg for so long the muscles on my right side were just bad. Like to the point I couldn't do a marching action before I went into surgery because of the pain so it had been about 6 months since I had done that action. So no muscle to help lift my leg or anything.... Just a really bumpy start. Things seem to be turning around though so I'm staying positive.
Our pre op pain was a little different from the way you describe yours. Mine would best be described as internal and hard to locate the exact source.... I assume it's the pain you would have had if you had kept waiting on the surgery. When it first started hurting it was just groin and bursitis kind of pain. Then it just got worse. Be glad you got surgery when you did.
The tolerance I had to the pain meds and my intolerance of diluadid had the Dr's on egg shells around me. The duramorph I don't think did anything... Couldn't even tell when it wore off... The diluadid dropped my BP and o2 to unsafe levels. So when we switched to only oxy and toradol they were very cautious with raising my oxy dose even though I never had issues with it or any vital signs dropping. I am just happy to be on the other side of it all.
@rans0m00 glad you are doing better. I know exactly what you are talking about when you talk about the leg. My right leg is half the size of my left leg. Thankfully my legs were very muscular before I started having all the pain. Now i just need to build my right leg back up so I can get my left hip replaced in 8 weeks.
@rbtaylor14 sorry to hear about the second hip. I don't know if you have an actual reason for getting avn or not.... For me it was just bad luck. I'm all rar when I think about it. I just feel for you needing a second hip. I hope another is not in my future but as we both have found out our bodies can do weird things. I had very muscular legs but I just wasn't ready to go for surgery yet so I delayed it to the point of my physical condition being too poor. If I had even half of the muscles I had before avn I would be doing quite a bit better on the pt side.
@rbtaylor14 when it rains it pours. I hope this is the end of your health issues. It sounds like a break is needed badly. I just had to deal with avn and I was done. All of your stuff then to finish off with avn. Just want to pick up my toys and go home.
So Monday the 21st was my surgery and starting yesterday my leg has started swelling. My right knee has always swelled when walked on funny... And now even though I'm walking without a limp... My body says it's funny. So my upper thigh to the bottom of my knee is notably swollen. My foot is a little swollen too.
So the question is this type of swelling normal about this time in my recovery? Or should I be checking with my os? If it's normal about how long should I expect it to carry on?
To combat it I have been using ice on my leg which seems to be doing a fairly good job at temporarily reducing the swelling. It always comes back though. My temp has been hovering between 99.5-100.7. Latest temp was 100.2. Not expecting true medical advice just more of opinions on this since none of us including myself are qualified to evaluate this with the limited information we have.
At the moment I am just glad I purchased the reusable never freezing gel packs. If I was using ice would be needing an ice machine to have this system work.
Any other words about anything would be appreciated.
I had some swelling in my thigh and lower back. I never did have swelling in my feet. @waterman1 had swelling like you are taking about. Maybe he can be some help.
I had swelling in my thigh and it felt like my foot was a sausage when the TED periodically was taken off, say to give me a break. The TED kept me sane!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.