THR I actually made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rans0m00, be sure and keep the area as dry and sterile as possible. Do not use creams of any kind---as once open, they are contaminated.
 
@bottomshollow I haven't put anything on it. When I mean open I don't mean even truly worthy of a steri strip I don't think. Just a tiny bit... But did go from none to a tiny bit when I should be moving towards it being closed enough to take a shower.

Since then I put on a clean silverlon and haven't touched it. Had an ID Dr over and he said he would look at it but I said no thanks since taking off the silverlon would possibly pull more at the incision or at least pull off some skin from the sticky.

The incision doesn't hurt... Its sensitive as expected a cut to be... Its not swollen or hot.

Tuesday I go in for my follow up so unless it changes notably then I'll just let her check it out.

I think I'm making the right choice but you never know about these things...
 
So this is starting to get annoying.... Night sweats.... Does anyone have a time line for them?

I have had them ever since surgery and I guess after washing my sheets daily I'm finally getting tired of it.

I am thinking about maybe laying down a towel to sleep on or something... Last night I actually managed to soak my sheets to the point I had to switch them early morning (4am) because they were as wet as someone just dumping a cup on water on my and the bed.

Any advice on this would be appreciated... More of an annoyance than anything but it has been waking me up so a sleep issue too.
 
I had night sweats pretty bad but also ran a low grade fever off and on. Found out at 3.5 weeks that I had a urinary tract infection. 5 days on antibiotics and it seems to have cleared up.
 
@lthr63014 my temp has been normal for quite a while but I will bring this up to my Dr on Tuesday. A hope it's not an infection but I guess these things happen. Thanks for sharing your experience.
 
I'm starting to think it might be a med issue... After googling for a bit it seems pain meds can do it to you and for some people it's just the natural way things work after having a hip replacement even if they are not on narcotics. Guess it's time to just lay down a towel.
 
@rans0m00, I had one night after I got home from hospital that I had night sweats. I've been sleeping in my recliner, covered with sheets and a light coverlet, but this particular night , it really felt like I had a break in a fever although no temp or such. Nothing since then. I'm thinking hip pain/inflamation may have triggered it but I've been fine since then.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal oi I wish I had a recliner. I have been in bed and the recliner just seems so much nicer.

My plan tonight to see if it can be countered by environmentals is to keep the room cooler(it's usually 72 at night), sleep with a lighter blanket, and put a towel down to sleep on.

Obviously the towel is if I start dumping sweat again but maybe the other two will let me sleep through the night.
 
Well small milestone but new and awesome. So took a trip to Walmart to do some grocery shopping... Walked for about an hour. This wasn't anything too special but when I got home I wasn't so tired that I needed to lay down. Just felt like I worked the joint a little extra and the energy level recovered quickly. It was pretty nice and raised my confidence as to where I was at in the recovery process.
 
That is my biggest complaint right now. I get exhausted taking a shower or walking out to the vehicle. It makes doing anything pretty hard. I hope my energy level returns in time.
My other experience after surgery is I crave fruit! I have had a HUGE sweet tooth my entire life. I love my sweets. Now I don't crave sweets at all. Carrots and fruit. One day I ate an entire pineapple. I was never this way before this surgery.

I only take the Hydrocodone 5.325. I only have 2 left to get me thru tonight. Thank God tomorrow is Monday. I feel as this 3 weeks out I am doing ok with what I have. I definitely need them. If u were to be addicted to pain med that would have happened years ago. I had my knee reconstructed with screws and such. I have a very bad lower back. I only take them when I need them. Chronic pain sucks!
I hope everyone had had a fabulous weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fearbox my energy level seems to be coming back. I am 13 days post op.... I just keep doing my pt and taking care of all the house stuff that needs to be taken care of. When I need to sleep I sleep and if I don't have to be doing anything then I am laid up with ice and elevation.

As far goes worry about the pain meds... I don't... I will say when I have to taper off of them my body adjusting to them being gone will probably be a little rough but beyond that things will be just fine.

My food cravings have been primarily for ribs... No clue why... I like ribs but never just craved them. I'm quite sure I am getting all the protein and iron I need... So why I am craving it I have no clue. Beef jerky has turned into my best friend during this recovery.

This surgery is a major one and I am constantly getting new surprises as to what's in store for me.... Some are good and some are not so good.... But I am having more good than bad.

I hope your endurance picks up. That was my biggest surprise with this surgery. So when I came home and didn't need a nap I was pretty happy.
 
@beachgal oi I wish I had a recliner. I have been in bed and the recliner just seems so much nicer.


Oh man I feel for you. :sad: I would have been absolutely miserable without a recliner. I don't sit in it as much now, but it is ever so much more comfortable than a regular chair...and who wants to lay in bed all day? Does anyone have one that you could maybe borrow for a while?
 
@Chessie I'm sure I could find one if needed but to get a recliner in I will have to rearrange a bit in my house on top of locating a truck. It's the kind of thing I should have done before the surgery but didn't. If I ever need another lower body surgery I will for sure have a recliner. My bed isn't bad thanks to foam wedges but the recliner still sounds much better. Live and learn.
 
I had sweats for four days when I came home from the hospital, woke up sweaty. It went away quickly. I thought it was because with the Percocet at night and pillows around my legs, I literally did not move from one place in bed. I am fortunate to have always been a back sleeper.

I am starting Week 6 and have been back to work a week part-time.
 
@LoyalD I'm guessing mine has to be med related. Last night room was very cold with moving air and a lighter blanket. Still poured sweat. So that leaves meds most likely. Could be just the weirdness of post op but meds are the most likely.
 
Well to my surprise I go in today and the Dr takes away all restrictions except dont squat and let your knee cross center. So I am free to do whatever my body tolerates. I did a little bit of walking today and decided that was enough. In a bit I am going to ride over with my partner to an empty parking lot to try out driving and make sure it all happens nice and easy before I just get out on a main road.

As far goes meds she said no problem just call her office when I'm running low.

So overall nice birthday present for me.
 
@rans0m00 - Yay!! That is good news! I didn't have any restrictions myself, but it is great to discover those little things that you can do as your recovery progresses. I slept on my stomach last night, and it was a little bit of heaven. :yes!:
 
Happy Birthday !! What a great gift!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Chessie they are nice little surprises. I don't know if I would have needed the restrictions or not... My flexibility already limits things enough. Since I have been fully cleared I might sleep on my stomach soon too. Might be better than always being on my side or back.

@beachgal thank you! It was a nice gift. Back to driving and tomorrow I will purchase a cane so I can attempt to move away from the Walker.

I'm thinking about trying out the elliptical trainer... With any luck it will help with my range of motion. I just need to get off my rear and head to the gym.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom