Guest viewing is limited

THR I actually made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to have it looked at tonight by a family friend to see what they think and if it's nothing too odd then I'll keep going on like I have been.
 
Mine did the same thing, and at about the same time. I noticed it when I got up from watching the evening news and felt some discomfort behind my knee. Reached down, and there was swelling sufficient to cup my hand around behind my knee, thigh swollen giving me a muffin top at the top of my TED, and fat little toes. It worried me some as diffuse swelling can be a sign of clot development, but there was no pain involved, so I relaxed, got into bed and elevated that leg with a pillow stack, and iced. It did decrease, giving me more peace of mind. The next day I spent far more time elevating and icing, and it did the trick. I was, however, lectured by the nurse about self diagnosis when I told her about it. I know, I know. It happened, of course, on a Friday night, and coincidently, a day I'd spent far more time up and about.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.
@rans0m00, swelling is pretty common the first few weeks after surgery. Your body has undergone a pretty traumatic experience and swelling is a normal reaction. Elevating and icing a lot is the answer. You should be doing this more than being up and on your feet right now. I suspect that you are doing more than you should be so soon after your op. But if you feeling pretty good, it's hard to stay in your recliner with your feet up with an ice pack watching mind numbing TV.

Take it easy and take care. Keep us posted. We care.
 
@bottomshollow @Beachmusic it just came on as kind of a surprise. Swelling had been moderate and nothing really weird and then seemed to just poof up and get pretty warm. I figured if it was going to do it then it would have already started long before today. I haven't done a ton of activity but could still be too much.

After the Dr came by and checked it out he said it looks about normal for the time period. Why it didn't swell much if any before now he didn't know but it is swollen now. So ice, elevate, relax, and stay up on the fluids.

The foreign territories I never wanted to visit. Thanks for the responses.
 
TED is the compression sock some of us got sent home with, though I have no idea why it is called that. Opinions vary, with some OS directing their use, others not...others say only In hospital, others say two weeks. It made me feel so much better.
 
@LoyalD I think I was supposed to be sent home with one of those.... Just never made it home with one.
 
I did not wear the Ted hose for more than a couple of days after my first THR. This time I wore them religiously for 2 weeks and had much less swelling, like really a huge difference. Last year I had a ton of swelling 1 week out and was worried. They are awful and require help to put on, but my personal experience is they made a big difference.
 
I have the TEDs for 4 weeks (less than 1 week to go) daytime only. Had a lot of swelling above the knee but very little below. They are a pain and feels WONDERFUL to take them off at night but they do seem to minimize swelling for me anyway.
 
@rans0m00 I've been reading your recovery thread, and as usual, you are getting lots of good advice. It's good to hear that you got the pain under control so you can rest and heal. I had some issues with swelling also, and ice and elevating the leg.....even at night while I slept...helped lots. I haven't heard of anyone on this forum mention the blood thinner that I've been on since my surgery (7-7-14). It's an extra precaution my os prescribed to protect against blood clots. Every doctor an every patient is different. I was glad to hear that your doc came to your home to check on you.....is that right? Best wishes on your recovery. You're a pretty young dude. If us 60 plus hippies can come through, I'm sure you will dancing a jig when your body has time to heal. Patience!!
LTHR posterior, 7-7-14
 
@rans0m00 I also had issues with diluadid. My first attemt towalk, I got about 3 steps needed to sit and promply passed out. Needless to say, I didn't use any more diluadid even though it helped
 
@Mountain Momma yep my only options for blood thinners were lovenox and if the needle didn't work for me then aspirin. So far lovenox while using ice on the injection site before and after. This has reduced my bruising at the injection site.

The elevation I am having issues with but will continue working out the kinks. The standard pillow setup feels too unsteady for me so looking into a foam wedge or a different type of pillows.

My OS didn't come to my house but growing up in a family where everyone is either a Dr or a nurse you are friends with plenty of them. I was uncertain but not to the point of wanting an er visit which that's what it would have been at that hour... So instead called up a family friend and he said he would just stop by on way home to look at it. My OS is a casual acquaintance so wouldn't be the person I would be calling to make a house call on a Friday after business hours.

It was a little kick in the junk while I was having such a rough time on the first day compared to the older hippies I found myself thinking what the heck! 60yr olds are making it through this without so many issues. Then I was shown up hardcore by a very frail looking man doing pt the next day. So never underestimate the older people. There is a good reason they have made it this long and it's not from being babies.
 
@rans0m00 Gee with lots of friends and relatives in the medical business, I bet you get plenty of free advice. I was not very successful with elevation at first then my hubby (engineer type) gave me a suggestion that helped a lot. At first I was just putting a stack of pillows under my ankle/foot area of the surgical leg. This put extra stress on my knee (bending backwards) and on my new hip joint and surrounding muscles. Hubby rearranged my pillows so that the whole leg was supported and elevated. So the pillows, as rectangles, were aligned lengthwise with my leg. I'm almost at 3 weeks post op now, and in still have a bit of swelling around the ankle. Give it time.

LTHR, posterior, 7-7-14
 
@Mountain Momma yeah I get their advice wanted or not. It's from the providers side though and a lot of the time I really want to talk with people that are going through it or have been through it. I could be weird about it but that's how I feel. Also they get questions all the time from people that pay... So friend or not I try not to impose. A risk of infection makes me feel justified in imposing.

I am going to attempt your pillow setup when I get home. My current setup that is essentially a pile of pillows is not so good.
 
I certainly had lots of swelling in knee & legs after doing too much exercise after my THR.....my knee swelled like a balloon.....the TEDS didn't help at all!! Only icing & elevating the leg helped...however, after a few weeks this wore off......all of these 'irritations' wear off eventually. X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny the swelling was a surprise. After concerns have been cleared it's just a sign to ice, elevate, and take it easy.

Only a few more weeks till I think it will be smooth sailing.
 
You got it @rans0m00 You will be amazed at the progress you make within the first 6 weeks....but do take it slow & steady as once you start feeling more normal you are inclined to overdo it and that can delay your progress! Stay on BS...so much great info x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@rans0m00,

Definitely the pillow stack needs to start at your bum cheek. And your toes need to be higher than any other part of your leg. A slight bend in the knee is fine, but it shouldn't be so sharp as to let your feet hang lower.

[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.


[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.


A body pillow is great to use as you can bend it in half and put other pillows (or something else, as shown here) inside the bend to give it the proper angle. I sometimes use my bodypillow this way.
[Bonesmart.org] I actually made it.
 
@Chessie I just bought a wedge thing... Looks like the blue one in the picture but it's white. Just a harder white memory foam. Fits about perfect.... I was tired of messing with things and getting it right sometimes and others just horribly wrong and the energy was wasted. So now I just grab my wedge and it bends my leg at the knee and keeps my foot always above my knee.

Guess I should have posted that earlier to avoid you wasting the effort.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom