THR Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
17 days post op still doing pretty good but I have a couple of questions. I will ask at PT tomorrow but I also wanted advice or suggestions from here at BS also.
1. Until now I have used a shower chair next to my tub scooted over at the widest part of my tub then stood up to take a shower. My question is now I am ready to lift my leg and get in but do I lead with the operated or the other?
2. I would like to go to a meeting that is about 1 hr 45min drive, will stop part way to walk a little bit, it is outside under a pavilion. I feel great is it wise to make this trip? Everything goes out the window if it is raining or going to be cold that day.
I certainly do not want any set backs what so ever. Last week, doc appt. (40 mins away) I was in and out of a car 5 times, other than being a little tired I felt great. I look forward to any and all comments & what you personally have experienced.
TeeEm@Poppet@cnydutch@ByGosh@sandybeach@Allycat@clifford149@Littlejem@Elosarabrab@Kim22

Karen when i started in the shower, my home PT showed me how to get in, and it worked fine. I stood next
to the tub, and bent one leg at my knee while standing straight, swung the leg over and into the tub, then
stood on that leg and did the same with the other leg. I had the shower chair there, but never used it, but
where it was in the tub it helped me get up and down off the toilet as it was right next to the tub.

as far as the trip, i don't think the drive would be as much an issue as sitting for the meeting. how
long will the meeting be? can you bring something comfortable to sit on?

otherwise it sounds like you are doing great!
 
I never used the shower chair. but I get in with the unoperated leg then the operated leg, and the same getting out. I didn't get any help to shower other than my husband putting down the matt and towel on the floor. for the meeting I just hope they don't mind you getting up every little bit to move around. take care.
 
Thanks everyone your replies really helped. Today I had PT and I also asked the therapist. She said, my operated leg is strong enough now that I can get in and out of the shower either way. She told me to try a dry run (clothes on) to see which might be comfortable for me. Which later when hubby gets home I'll do just that.
As far as my meeting she said pretty much what everyone else said, go but stop to move around even if it is around the car a few time, at the meeting do the same get up and walk. I will take some ice packs and we will stop often to walk around.

Therapy went great today can feel those muscle being stretched, but could go even further than last Thursday I just find this so amazing. Used leg machines and rode the bike today :bicycle1:
Thanks everyone I knew I could count on you for advice!
 
Liveringer I'm so glad you had a good PT session. It sounds like you're doing really great! Taking along the ice packs is a good idea, too. You've got it all figured out, sounds like. :)
 
Liveringer I pretty much do the same as above to get into and out of the shower. Always lead with your good foot. As far as the meeting, are you driving? I had my operation the day after you and my right leg also. I haven't driven yet, I would go to the meeting if I were you and didn't have to drive. To drive that distance....I don't think I would yet but then again we all heal at different rates and we also have different comfort zones.
 
sandybeach Did my shower tonight when hubby was here. Got in with my operated leg first no problem and out with the good leg first no problem. So therapist was correct that I could probably do either leg. I felt so accomplished when I was done, so much easier than what I was doing. I am going to the meeting, no not doing any driving not ready for that I just mastered the shower :rotfl: Meeee I'm doing baby steps!!!!! My bestfriend and I will stop a couple of times so I can walk around and while at the meeting I also get up and walk some more. Weather here over the weekend is suppose to be sunny and 75 degrees, so it should be a beautiful day. Speaking of which how has your weather been this week?
 
Liveringer so glad to hear the shower went well,isn't it nice to be able to accomplish these small things. good luck with the meeting, ice and move around ,enjoy your day.
 
Liveringer you are doing brilliantly. X
I think the car journey home is the worst bit. I have a cushion in the car now.
 
Liveringer Good news that you mastered the shower. Once that you have done it now you won't have that fear anymore. Do you have a ruff surface in your shower floor? I got a shower mat to prevent me from slipping. Being that you don't have to drive to the meeting, it should be a fun time to get out and spend with your friend. Walk often so you don't get stiff even if it's just to stand and stretch. Our weather has been beautiful for the last few days but now it's supposed to get cold again....where's spring??? I hope you can get out and enjoy your nice weather, it makes a difference in how you feel when it's nice outside. How is your incision healing? Mine is healed but feels kind of bumpy. I think gentle massaging will help it.
 
sandybeach I do think spring has sprung here as were are mowing our lawns already. I am looking forward to the small trip and being around friends. My incision is healing great, I still have steri strips on they haven't started falling off yet. Mine too fells bumpy and I read the other day that one of BS members (who? don't remember) is using a roller on hers and it is smoothing. Mastering the shower was great and before the operation I had bought a shower mat and so glad that I did. It actually helps in washing my feet also.
 
Congratulations on your shower, Karen! I too found that a really good bath mat was essential. I don't know the name of the one I found, but it wasn't the usual slick kind; it almost is like a foam substance. Com;pletely nonslip. I have been putting baby wipes onto it and then stepping onto those to clean the bottom of my feet. You are one week ahead of me, so I find it intersting your steri strips are still there. I nudged one of mine off gently; but the other one is stuck and my surgeon's nurse said leave it be. Glad to hear your incision site is healing nicely!
 
After surgery I had one long piece of tape on my incision. The incision itself was glued together. I have always heard to let the steri strips come off by themselves. I finally took the tape off my incision after 10 days and it was all healed.
 
My steri strip are like darn glue today I soaked them with water try and loosen some of that sticky. These are my second round of steri strips don't understand why but what the heck. I can live with it but dang its gonna take forever and a Sunday to remove all that sticky from the tape they aren't even curled at the ends.....LOL My shower mat is not slippery at all or I won't have it in my shower. A few years ago took a shower at my Mom's and she had a shower mat I didn't exspect it and just about broke my neck. I never used one before.
 
I wonder what they meant by a roller, anything that you can find that rolls?​
sandybeach She didn't say but I am thinking maybe even a small paint roller (hard enough, soft enough) I think it would work meanwhile I'll try and find that post.
Had PT again today this girl sure does work those muscles and makes sure I'm working the operated leg she says no need to baby it let it do all the work. My walk is getting better by the day unaided. I'm still at only 4 oxycodone a day instead of 6. I no longer take one in the middle of the night a sleeping through so that is another plus. I also accomplished making my bed today a little slower than normal but felt good to make the bed. "Life Is Good"
 
so good to hear the progress your making, well done.therapist told me if I'm not taking my pain meds. that I can start driving if I want. I didn't think I could at only 15 days out. So I think I'll waite.
 
sandybeach I finally ran across that thread "Just want to feel normal" by clarabo post by puddle fish #150.
 
Karen,
I don't come to this side very often. Too busy keeping up on the pre-op side. So glad that you are healing well. I also appreciate all your pep up talks for me!
 
Mamarey You are more than welcome and I'll be there to cheer you on Tuesday (finally the day is in sight).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom