Guest viewing is limited

THR Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liveringer sandybeach Hello, ladies! I'm very curious about the roller, too. On the incision line? I read that one member was using a rolling pin on her tight ITB - ileotibial band muscles, -but not the incision. I open a vitamin E capsule and massage some of the oil on my incision lines. I started it at 4 weeks when they were all healed. They feel a little bumpy, not bad, but it was closed with glue, no staples or stitches.
Liveringer You took a shower! :egypdance: Isn't that grand? I have a walk-in stall, like Allycat and TeeEm and a shower seat that I still use. That way I put a basin full of nice warm soapy water and soak my feet when I'm sitting and washing, then I scrub them with a net brush on a handle. Works great. Nice clean toes, at least! :)


Liveringer - Your PT sounds like a workout! Are you sore afterwards? She's getting you back in shape, isn't she? And it's great that you can do with less pain meds, too. You must be healing well there, girl! Good for you.
 
ByGosh I found the thread and asked puddle fish the poster what kind on roller on the incision. So when she replies back I will post it here. Even though I still have my steri strips on the incision is looking great when those strips come off I will try the vitamin E. Oh my gosh (pardon the pun) when I got in the shower like normal the other night it was so grand. Tracey my PT therapist is doing me a lot of good. The muscles do ache for a few hours afterwards but nothing the ice pack won't cure. On Sunday, I'll try to cut down 1 more on the pain meds that will be 1/2 of what I started with. To be honest, I really don't think I need to take them but I will just ween myself off them 1 week at a time.

I've been reading your posts also, sounds like you're coming along pretty well also. You try any of the Pile Driver drinks? :rotfl: :heehee:
 
dang its gonna take forever and a Sunday
I haven't heard that expression since my father died-- definitely time to resurrect it! He was from buffalo-- maybe it's a NY thing...
Shower! PT! Rides in car, meetings! You sound very good there, girl! :)
 
ByGosh Liveringer I think I'm gonna start to use the vitamin E. I know it's good to promote healing. Yes post about the roller when you find out anything, my incisions are not bad but they do have some bumps.
 
Liveringer its a 6 inch diameter foam roller that you can use to try and help massage out the grumpy muscles and ligaments @C_Mac told be about them there is some info on them somewhere but I cant find it. (It takes some getting used to).
sandybeach ByGosh this is the reply from puddle fish, which I do have one of these. I bought mine last year at Walmart in the yoga section. Do a google search on foam roller exercises and you see how they are used.
 
I am thinking maybe even a small paint roller (hard enough, soft enough) I think it would work meanwhile I'll try and find that post

Oooo. Thats a good idea ! A friend of mine who had a hip replacement last year said she massaged her wound/thigh with cold pressed sweet almond oil .
 
Interesting to read about the steristrips! I just have dissolvable stitches and have had no dressings on for two weeks...even in the pool. By the look of my scarI've pretty much healed. Just looks like a pencil line down my leg?! Lucky I guess.
 
Maeve My scare looks exactly has you describe yours a thin pencil line. I am just going to keep putting warm water on mine to loosen the sticky and take them off as today has been 3 weeks post op. The steri strips remind me of a butterfly stitch that my mother used when we were kids.
 
Maeve Liveringer If you feel your incision does it feel flat or kind of bumpy? If I just look at mine it looks like what you're saying. The doctor just glued my incision together so I didn't have any staples to have taken out or marks from them. I am going to look for those rollers. I have been massaging the incisions with arnica cream and that seems to help, my first incision is pain free. I guess it's the scar tissue that causes the bumps and that needs to be broken up. I think if you do nothing it will resolve itself.
 
sandybeach Hello there young'un! That pic of you is amazing. You do not look your age. Must be cuz you don't spend all those hours in the sun like we do here all spring and summer and into the fall on the East Coast. Or me, anyway. The sun does my endorphins good. :SUNsmile:
Anyhow, yes, the lumps are scare tissue I do believe, and the massaging with a finger tip and some pressure is supposed to break that up. I think it was Poppet that recommended arnica cream as being a natural anti inflammatory. I use a Vit E capsule, so we'll see how that goes.
Liveringer And you do not look your age, either, missy!
Gorgeous weather here on the East Coast. How're you doing in NY State? It feels great to finally get some warm weather. And sandybeach, how are you fairing in Minn? I HOPE the snow is gone for good.
 
@ByGoshThank you for the compliement (good ole make-up) lol, the weather here has been like 75 most of the week it feels wonderful. Suppose to be like this into next week with no rain in sight.
 
ByGosh, Liveringer We don't have a lot of days of nice weather up here in Minnesota and the nice days seem to call out to the mosquitoes which again chases us back indoors. Southern part of our good old state had several inches of snow last night. I live in the central part of the state so the snow missed us but we have a cold day today. I am about to give up on summer. We get a cold bubble from Canada that comes down over us but usually this time of year that goes way north and do get warmer air.
 
Yeah this has been a strange year for weather and last year was too but in the other direction. Last year we had temps in the 80's in March. The warm weather will come in time and then we will be complaining about the hot air... or maybe not...lol.
 
Well the trip and meeting went great Saturday. I was getting in and out of a pick-up truck that was about the hardest part of the whole day, getting in the darn thing should have taken a small piece of wood to step on because it was so high up....lol but I did manage. I really didn't tire to much but my leg did swell but again icing, elevate and rest by this morning back to normal. I was good seeing everyone at this meeting, they were quite surprised to see me as I had stated that I wouldn't be able to make that meeting.
 
Forgot to meantion that Friday most of the steri strips came off. This morning I removed the remaining 3 and everything looks great. I bought some vitamin E oil and I am now messaging that area with that to breakdown the scar tissue plus its helping with the dry skin in that area. My skin is getting so dry it is driving me crazy. When my man gets home tomorrow I'm gonna have him give me a good rub down with lotion. I knew I was getting close to sleeping on my side so last night I tried. Turned on my operated side (pillow of course) laid there about 15 min. a little uncomfortable, then to the other side I woke up a couple hours later rolled on my back and woke 6 this morning.
 
HI all
Some good info here. I was concerned about the bumpy hip around the incision & I think I'll try & talk the better half into a message with vitamin E oil.:beg: WE here on the left coast are having July weather in May. The lawn & flowers are loving it. Me not so much because I would rather be camping & fishing right now.:boohoo:
 
Liveringer and sandybeach. Before surgery, when I had spasms in my leg, my PT suggested rolling a wooden rolling pin up and down my leg. I posted that somewhere on BS but was not referring to scar tissue-maybe someone else did?
 
I think any massaging along the scar will break up that tissue. I try to do that when I get into bed at night. I noticed it's not breaking up very quickly though.

tankeryanker, we should be moving into better weather now this week, here the lakes still have ice on them and the ice is not safe this time of year, so no fishing.
 
Hi Liveringer I've not been over to your thread for a while so just catching up, didn't think it had been that long, sorry!! Glad you got the shower problem sorted and managed to get in and out without too much trouble. I'm lucky we have a separate shower cubicle so not much of a step to get up. When is this meeting you are going to because you are almost at a month aren't you? I would have thought the journey is doable, just remember to take a cushion and or pillow for the ride and for the meeting.
Going back to getting into the tub, I'd love to know is how early people actually had a bath? We have a free standing bath that's quite high so getting in and out could be a problem but what I worry more about is sitting down and then getting back up, has anyone got any tips??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom