THR Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littlejem My meeting was yesterday. It in deed was doable, I did take a padded lawn chair and a pillow to place in it. It worked like a charm. We had beautiful weather, as it was near 80 and the meeting was held outside under a pavilion. I was good seeing these people that I only see during the summer months and to get some fresh air also spending quality time with my best friend. I feel rested today and ready to start a new week of recovery.
 
Liveringer Sounds like you had a successful road trip and a good meeting with friends. That's great. Weather was gorgeous in Conn, too. Just perfect to be outside enjoying the warm air and sunshine! :SUNsmile:
 
Congratulations on going to the meeting, Karen. That must have felt so good! So how did you get into and out of the truck with the high step-up?

Good weather and good friends--that's the perfect combination. You sound like you are really doing great! Have a wonderful week.
 
Thursday was my 4 week post op mark. I believe I have done well, except I did over do some activities on Wednesday. I was outside walking around for sometime, on unlevel ground and no cane. I know better and I did not rest as I did have a chair to sit in. Muscles in the front of my thigh were screaming at me on Thursday morning as I was limping around and had to use the aid of my cane. I hadn't used my cane inside for about 2 weeks. I did go to PT as the therapist wanted to do some light stretches. I did help some, but when I went to bed that evening I took 2 tylenol and ice packs on the incision and thigh. Thankfully I woke Friday morning feeling back to normal. I am almost done with the oxycodone, Sunday I will cut another dosage and I will only be taking 1 a day probably at night. My guess is by mid-week or so I'll be done with the narcotics. For muscle aches I will take tylenol as it seems to be effective for me.
For about a week or so now I am back to my routine of light housework, laundry, dishes that sort of thing. I guess cooking dinner is next but I am so enjoying having hubby do that maybe just a little longer....:thumb: but don't tell him.
 
Liveringer Glad things got back to normal for you! Sounds like you did the right thing with going back to the cane and icing. I've found that the hardest part has been not doing activities when feeling well. I try doing things, and usually get some more pain, then have to back off and rest again.
 
It's all too easy to do too much if you're feeling ok and I say you are certainly not alone it thinking you can do more than you actually should. What is good is that it didn't take you too long to recover from your over working and even better that you are ok taking less pain meds, just take it easy though and if you need something stronger then take it. I have found that I need to carry on taking the stronger meds, both for my still to be done hip and for the fact that my uneven leg length is causing me to walk badly and aggravating both hips. :sad:
 
I forgot to mention that I am able to sleep on my side for a couple hours a night. I feel most comfortable on my good side, I do sleep about 30 mins on my operated side. It just feels so good to sleep in a different position. I still am lucky enough to still be getting roughly 7-8 hours of sleep a night. My naps are kinda nill, I feel tired but just can't fall asleep. I guess I can't have everything....:shrug: I can live with that. "Life Is Good"
 
That's great Karen, the benefits of sleep are constantly being researched to even understand why we sleep?

However, we do know that many of the major restorative functions in the body like muscle growth, tissue repair, protein synthesis, and growth hormone release occur mostly, or in some cases only, during sleep. Lack of sleep can also suppress our immune system, which makes us more vulnerable to infections.

Also, during deep sleep the brain goes through our impressions of the day in a process vital to memory formation. So sleep away Karen Zzzzzz!
 
Wow the power of sleep, that's amazing Poppet, I knew I felt rubbish if I didn't get enough but hadn't realised just what was going on in my body!
It's great that you are sleeping well on your sides Liveringer and getting many hours good sleep is wonderful and quite obviously is so good for your recovery.:)
I'm glad that I can finally sleep on my sides although I'm finding the pillow between my legs a real 'pain in the neck' and turning in the night is so awkward. :sad: Ah well in 4 weeks time I'll be back to sleeping on my back again for another 6 weeks.........2 steps forward 1 step back!! :gaah: x
 
When I find time... I will finish writing an article regarding the full benefits of sleep... Lots of interesting research being conducted all over the world! As I mentioned, the scientists have not yet figured out why we sleep!
 
Great news Liveringer to hear that you are now sleeping on your side Isnt it wonderful ? I fall asleep more easily on my side but usually end up on my back at some point in the night but its great having the choice I was told not to sleep on then none operated side until 3 months.
 
Liveringer,
So glad that you are making good recovery progress, and sleep makes such a difference. I wake up once or twice, but unlike pre-surgery, I am able to go back to sleep. I have tried to move to my side, but it is still too painful to move my leg. Patience is a virtue
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom