THR Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is Day 10 post op, I feel I am doing fantastic. Today I was able to take a shower assisted of course but none the less a shower. My tub is not a normal one it has step which makes it wider than a regular tub. I have also used my cane around the home today, not over doing it just using from point A to point B. I have to BS to thank in educating me on some do's and don'ts, learning from other members and just take it easy and don't push let myself heal. I medicate, ice 24/7 literally, elevate and rest. "LIFE IS GOOD"
 
Wow. you're doing so well. Im jealous cos Im still hopping about on crutches, but I'll catch you up eventually. :snork:
Isnt it great not to have any pain though . :happydance:
 
TeeEm It is wonderful not to have any pain, to be honest never thought I would see the day but here it is. You will indeed SOON (I hope) ditch the crutches and in about 6 weeks from now we'll both be enjoy the full swing of summer. Being able to move pain free and we'll say together "LIFE IS GRAND" :cheers:
 
I know. When people on here put 'that bone on bone pain will be gone' , its difficult to imagine it or believe it ! Life indeed is grand :dancy:
 
Hi Liveringer! I'm your surgery partner checking up on you. You sound so relieved from major pain! I'm walking with a cane and just took another photo of my stitches! Nausea has been most of my concerns but it is now under control. My pain has diminished greatly and my leg is not so heavy, I can lift it much easier and I get stronger every day. I've been elevating and icing my legs because the swelling is still a worry for me. I've been told it is okay for me to sleep, rest almost all day. I feel like a "slug" but when I fall asleep writing a note, now I trust that sleep and rest is what I need. I'm so excited that you are doing so well.
Hugs from Idaho.
 
ilovedaisys Hello there surgery partner it sounds like you are doing well also. Don't worry about the swelling, it happens just make sure you ice and elevate. Sounds like you are resting great me too we wouldn't be sleeping if our body didn't need it, guess what? We need it! :happydance: Tomorrow is my post op check up see what the doc has to say. Oh boy, car ride I hope it is better then when I came home.
 
zauberflöte Chris, you'll be a great patient and a student here at BS. You are doing what I did and that is educate myself, prepping myself and learning from others what to or not to do. I really believe it has helped in my recovery so far. I love coming here to share stories, share some memories, tell some jokes all of it is good for the soul.
 
Liveringer, I don't get to see my dr for another 4 weeks. I remember that car ride, that was scary and it triggered nausea. I look forward to what your dr says!
 
Liveringer ilovedaisys you two are one day ahead of me in your recovery. I think the key thing for us to remember is we just had major surgery and it takes a while to feel back to 100% again but with proper care now that time will faster. You both sound like you are doing amazingly well. We all heal at our own pace and we also had different degrees of damage too. Icing is one of the best things we can do at this early stage of our recovery. I had my 10 day post op appointment yesterday with my OS and he asked me if I've been icing a lot because I have very little swelling. Yesterday was my first day out of the house. The ride to the doctors office was almost 2 hours one way. When we left the clinic it was snowing so we didn't have the best roads to drive back home on. By the time I got home I was sore, my fault, I didn't take pain pills since the morning and by the time we got home was late afternoon. So I paid the price until we got the pain under control...I am still a little more sore this morning than I should be but with ice and med's I should get it under control and be good. Take care and keep on with the ice.
 
sandybeach, sorry your 2nd hip is more painful...but you said it best..this hip has a different degree of damage....you know best how to handle #2...Don't compete with the 1st hip...Keep on resting and icing...remember each day gets better....take care...
 
anniemg my second hip has been more painful since the recovery room. I woke up with pain which was strange I thought. I didn't have any pain after the first surgery. The surgeon told my husband it was a difficult surgery. So I figure that's why it's been more painful. I had my 10 day post op check up yesterday and the OS said it was a difficult surgery and I have two different size sockets. He had to go with a smaller for my second surgery. I should have asked him more about the pain I'm having but then again I don't know if he would have went into detail and I don't know how that would benefit me either. He took x-rays and said both of my new hips look good and as long as I don't have any issues I don't need to see him for a year. He definitely said if I have any concerns to let him know right away. He is so busy I think that he doesn't see the need to have patients come for routine check ups unless there's an issue. And also I have a 2 hour one way trip to see him that he mentioned.
 
Liveringer What a great report! You are positive, have a good outlook and are doing so well. You really are doing just what you're supposed to, and it seems to have paid off. I bet the car ride isn't so bad... you can take your pain meds before and after the appointment if it's time, and bring along some ice with you. Even if you have to put it in a lunch kit or cooler to keep it cold, so you have it on the way back, too.
Keep up the great recovery. And come on over to the The Land of Limerick. We could use your sense of humor! :)
 
As promised, my 12 day post op appointment with the PA was this morning. Everything looking great, healing well, x-ray show normal healing and in place. Doc noticed me using the cane asked how long, I state since Sunday they were impressed how I was getting along with it. Now I go back to see my OS in 4 weeks, right around that time if I can function the gas/break without a problem can drive then. Made an appointment for outpatient PT start that Thursday morning yahoo something new.....:happydance:
ByGosh Let me catch up on some reading and a nap, I'll come over check out The Land of Limirick sounds like a great time. Just hope you all are ready for ME....hahahaha
 
This morning I went to my first outpatient physical therapy. She worked me good for 30 minutes but she didn't want to over do it our first meeting. Some were tough and I knew those muscles needed stretching. She wanted to see me walk without the cane a lap or so around the room. She was pleased with that and told me when I am home to walk normal as can be without the cane (from time to time). Here it is about 10 hours later and boy can I feel it. It is not pain but it is time for me to rest and ice the sore spots. Good Night all and have a great evening!
 
Liveringer Karen you're sounding fantastic still! Sounds like your PT has a head on her shoulders, too :)
sandybeach man, I know you are totally used to driving in the snow for months at a time, but still... 2 hours one way, that would stress me out big time! It's been too long since I lived someplace with real snow, I guess. Your news sounds encouraging-- but maybe we can't say you ahve a matched pair :wink: Close enough tho :)
 
17 days post op still doing pretty good but I have a couple of questions. I will ask at PT tomorrow but I also wanted advice or suggestions from here at BS also.
1. Until now I have used a shower chair next to my tub scooted over at the widest part of my tub then stood up to take a shower. My question is now I am ready to lift my leg and get in but do I lead with the operated or the other?
2. I would like to go to a meeting that is about 1 hr 45min drive, will stop part way to walk a little bit, it is outside under a pavilion. I feel great is it wise to make this trip? Everything goes out the window if it is raining or going to be cold that day.
I certainly do not want any set backs what so ever. Last week, doc appt. (40 mins away) I was in and out of a car 5 times, other than being a little tired I felt great. I look forward to any and all comments & what you personally have experienced.
TeeEm@Poppet@cnydutch@ByGosh@sandybeach@Allycat@clifford149@Littlejem@Elosarabrab@Kim22
 
Liveringer, I need to step over a small step to get into my shower (about 10 -15 cms). Bit different to getting into a bath, but I hold onto the top of the rail, step over with my good leg first, then bring in the op leg. Getting out is the same in reverse.
 
Liveringer, I have a bath board and a grab rail. I help both legs into bath and pull myself to standing.
As for the trip, if you really want to do it take pain meds before hand. Take some with you. Take ice packs too.
Take frequent stops to move around. Take a cushion for extra padding too just in case.
Barbara
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom