THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Thanks everyone! Ending first full day at the “Hotel for Hippies” and feeling - and smelling like a different woman.

I have a lot of catching up to do re further problems with the hospital including the discharge procedure. After all of that I was more concerned about my mental rather than physical state. matron here briefed the staff about what had happened, she was horrified, and everyone is being very nice!

Might start typing up if can’t sleep tonight or otherwise tomorrow. Have to love those ice machines with the pressure cuff. May I marry mine? Over and out until tomorrow. Night everyone..
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hopefully Hippy Recovery
    895D1737-591A-492C-8BE7-A1B2ADA9F121.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 288
Me looking rubbish 3 day’s in and only just getting meds sorted...
 
Now, that's evocative writing! (Although it added a certain sinister connotation to your lengthy hospital stay, possibly appropriate, considering.)

Well I was comparing my Consultant to Christopher Lee ;/)
 
Discharge Day and an incident that got reported in the Friday Night after the operation..

So back tracking a bit, and adding one major incident of which I had only communicated privately to some members here before. Bear with me as the timelines cross and do not “reverse the polarity”

This occurred the Friday night. Bear in mind my pain meds not sorted and I was unaware of the underdosing... I had stayed out of bed all day and when time to get into bed the staff decided to spare me the walker and make me turn around using a rotunda. This device is designed to turn you and you stand in a platform gripping a rail whilst two staff turn you and you end up with back to the bed ready to get in.


Something went horribly wrong and my bad leg got twisted. The pain was so extreme (like a brilliant white electric shock) and I started passing out. The staff held me but I fainted albeit briefly. The pain was a 10 plus. I then had to use the normal walker instead with the staff helping my bad leg into bed. The pain was excruciating and the matter was reported to the staff nurse by the staff involved. I was drugged with morphine given an ice pack and did manage to sleep albeit fitfully. The following morning was when I reported the saga to Staff Nurse Sam. Staff nurse Erin had already reported during the handover as she had also taken my comments seriously
 
Tuesday 31 July the final part.

Day dawns and I am feeling good, apart from very icky hair. Small problem I know but I am a Girl after all.

I was aware that it could take all day to be discharged so was prepared. And I was allowed to keep my room until then. Even better.

I had had a good night overall and was pleased about how the final physios had gone. I recall one lovely moment the previous day. James asked to see my wound. There was very little bruising. As he was escorting me down the corridor as I practised my walking, he smiled and said with a wink “just as well we iced it early then” I burst out laughing.

So all in all I was in a good mood. The lovely “Staff Nurse Sam”, a true Angel, was back on duty. Mina cane to say goodbye and gave me a big hug. I told her at one point I had nicknamed her Nurse Louise from “One flew over the Cuckoos Nest” due to our ice pack v passing water standoff. She thought that was hilarious. Various other staff cane to say goodbye and then, joy of joys, Angel Samantha (I promoted her) came in and asked me if I was strong enough to stand on crutches whilst she washed my hair under a tall tap. I could have cried with joy, but had cried enough. So afterwards I had clean hair, makeup, clean top etc and started packing.

And Charmer Bvn walked in. All big smiles. I smiled back. With all this current smiling I was going to have to get treatment for lock jaw. Bear in mind that the last morphine I had had was before the first days physio the day before.. He asked me if I was happier now and how I felt about what we had discussed. I said again that I did not want anyone else to go through hell but was still thinking through my options re making a complaint and, once off the Olamorph etc would have a think. We parted on as good as terms as one might expect - and my jaw relaxed. I sent a picture of me to my Dr Niece, all dolled up and ready to go ....
 
And then, you guessed it, it all changed in a second...
 
Tuesday 31 July

Day dawns and I am feeling good, apart from very icky hair. Small problem I know but I am a Girl after all.

I was aware that it could take all day to be discharged so was prepared. And I was allowed to keep my room until then. Even better.


I had had a good night overall and was pleased about how the final physios had gone. I recall one lovely moment the previous day. James asked to see my wound. There was very little bruising. As he was escorting me down the corridor as I practised my walking, he smiled and said with a wink “just as well we iced it early then” I burst out laughing.

So all in all I was in a good mood. The lovely Staff Nurse Sam, a true Angel, was back on duty. Mina cane to say goodbye and gave me a big hug. I told her at one point I had nicknamed her Nurse Louise from “One flew over the Cuckoos Nest” due to our ice pack v passing water standoff. She thought that was hilarious. Various other staff cane to say goodbye and then, joy of joys, Angel Samantha (I promoted her) came in and asked me if I was strong enough to stand on crutches whilst she washed my hair under a tall tap. I could have cried with joy, but had cried enough. So afterwards I had clean hair, makeup, clean top etc and started packing.


And Charmer Bvn walked in. All big smiles. I smiled back. With all this smiling I was going to have to get treatment for lock jaw. He asked me if I was happier now and how I felt about what we had discussed. I said again that I did not want anyone else to go through hell but was still thinking through my options re making a complaint and, once off the Olamorph etc would have a think. We parted on as good as terms as one might expect - and my jaw relaxed. I sent a picture of me to my Dr Niece, all dolled up and ready to go ....

And I finally lost it..

The Ward Nurse came in with a Sick note signing me off for 2 weeks from work.

It should be 6. I told him, rather forcefully, to get it changed. I showed him a picture, taken with permission, of Dr X who had agreed the 6 weeks. He told me that Doctor had already left as “today was doctor changeover day”....however, after I did start shouting ,for the first time in this whole saga) he mysteriously found her and cane back....with the original note with the two weeks crossed out and the 6 weeks added. There is NO way that my HR at my workplace will accept this...it could look like it had been forged.

I then got very very angry and the days of frustration hit hard. “You must get me a new sick note with six weeks written on it. My HR will not accept this. And I need it now” I then flatly refused to be discharged and leave the room until I had this note. The Ward Nurse then went a bit white and scurried out, note in hand.

5 minutes ago I was all relaxed and happy to move on to the next stage. Now I have gone crazy. Taking deep breaths, crying (again) and trying to calm down...

The poor sod comes back with a new sick note. I glance at it and put it away. I also apologise to him because he is not at fault

Angel Samantha comes in with my meds and I check them through. All as agreed (I doublecheck the codeine) and then I spot something. Dr X has missed out the blood thinner injections. The Angel of the South East exclaims something rather unagelic, and dashes off. Returns with the meds. The bag is signed for and sealed. And then I realise there is something wrong with the sick note. I check the three scans I have taken in my Mobil. . The third and final note had not been stamped with the hospital stamp with name and address. This is quickly sorted out by “guess who” who is about to be promoted to “Goddess” status.

And that is it!

Lovely Urick who had been serving me lunch all week turns up with a nice sandwich. Further staff including the cleaning staff, catering, nurse Judd and others come to say goodbye. The Angel and I have a hug. This time there is no lockjaw in the smiles. They are geniune.

My long suffering husband arrives and we leave with him pushing the wheelchair. People are waving at us. I want to wave back with my crutches but am scared of taking someone’s eye out. No one wants a medical claim - Now do they?

I keep telling hubby to slow down...! He cheerfully navigates lifts full of people, millennia’s on their phones, and all types of life and we get downstairs. He parks me by the least used part of the entrance, the area which has old fashioned phones in the wall. Because the drop off points are all full, security allow him to use the Mayor’s space. Right by the sliding doors. As I wait for him to load the luggage, Angel Sam appears and I get out of the wheelchair and give her another hug. Honestly I am not usually a huggy person!

I realise that the tubigrip used to help hoist deadleg is at the BOTTOM OF MY SUITCASE. My husband, understandably cross, does not want to go there so we use the cord of my dressing gown. I am just about to stand up from the wheelchair and he shouts. The wheels are not locked. THAT could have been interesting! As I use the manovre taught by Lovely James it works perfectly. Well done physio team... My husband tries to be helpful but hasn’t been trained so I get on with it. He is watching carefully. The plastic bag trick works a treat. And I am in. Hubby dryly says “ it would have worked better if I had tied your legs together”..... honestly. MEN!

With aircon on at full blast we drive to the “Hotel for Hippies” - a short 20 minute drive. I am still very wound up by the whole thing but start to smile as we park easily and are greeted by the Manager. I am taken straight to my room. And smile... phew! And then total exhaustion kicks in..
 
THE END??

At this point I would like to thank the hardworking staff who tried to help in a very difficult situation, my friends and family, people on this blog who messaged me with help and advice and BoneSmart Team for their very practical and useful posts - a lot of which I learnt from and used..

I have so many genuine well wishing friends who have been messaging me rather than the usual “are you ok hun” rubbish that, that night I feel I fall asleep with my hands being held tightly by friends and family from all over the world. Lucky lucky me!
 
What an adventure....all I can say.
Wishing you some peace and well deserved rest :yawn: :sleep: and a blissfully boring rest of the week, lol.
@SurreyGirl
 
Hope you liked the writing style Layla. As you can tell I love doing it. In bed icing ankle and hip and looking forward to a peaceful day . Hubby bought me a clip on fan which is on the table close to the bed. Wish I had had it last week!
 
Holy cow SurreyGirl what a rough beginning you’ve had - just when you think it couldn’t get any worse it did but you got through it like the trooper you are! So happy that everything is going well for you now in your hippie hotel and you’re on your road to recovery. Wishing you a good restful night/day and better days to come.
 
Thanks Windsong. Starting to get my thoughts together re “my adventure so far st the “Hotel for Hippies” which hopefully will be much brighter and lighter...

I am grateful to the people on BoneSmart who have been following what has turned out to be my first ever blog. Even in the dark times (and they were bad) I found it enjoyable to write. Most of it is raw and unedited too. Looking back there are a few bits I would like to take out but too late now!

I wish you all the best with your story of recovery. And will avidly follow it.

Best wishes Surrey Girl..
 
Glad you are settled in and can finally get the rest you need. Just one question - are you really allowed to have wine when you are still taking pain medication?
 
I'm just amazed that you were able to scrutinize all the paperwork and medication distribution and advocate for yourself while fresh out of major surgery!
Not sure I would gave had the wherewithal to be so fastidious about the details ...very impressive!
Do also wish you would clarify about the alcohol...does seem odd and worry for other members on medication thinking this is a good idea.
 
...Something went horribly wrong and my bad leg got twisted. The pain was so extreme (like a brilliant white electric shock) and I started passing out. The staff held me but I fainted albeit briefly. The pain was a 10 plus. ... etc, etc etc

SurreyGirl,

I'm so sorry to read the litany of mishaps and bumbling mismanagement you experienced. I hope the whole system at that institution is held to account somehow.

I don't know if you have the equivalent where you live, but here in British Columbia we have a Patient Quality of Care Review Board that examines just such cases to see what went sideways, and how to address it. Although I don't know any specific details on the hundreds of cases they reviewed over the years (because that information is confidential), I do understand that in many cases it turns out to be a lack of communication and broken continuity of care that is the root of the problem.

This is the key--make a formal complaint, because if you let it go, then it may not be addressed. I'm not suggesting a lawsuit, but rather an account of your experiences to the right people, and this will increase the 'value' (to use an awkward word) of your painful experience--you can parlay that into a move that could benefit the system. I don't know if that makes any sense. Let's hope it's a super smooth ride for you from here on. You deserve it.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. The next week is all about relaxing and processing and contracting on getting better... but we do have a similar organisation here.
 
Hey @SurreyGirl .:wave:
How's life in the Hippy Hotel?
Playing bingo?
Icing it up I hope!:ice:
 
They really believe in ice here. Currently in bed with two packs by my hip and one over my swollen ankle. NightZzz
 
Poor ankle...hope that eases soon.
I hope you have a peaceful night!:sleep:
 
Back
Top Bottom