PKR Hopefully half a hopper now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopper, I just noticed your surgery date - you're not even a month out, so things sound pretty on target. I would just continue to work on the PT (but good for you being your own advocate with the therapist :) ). My hunch is a few weeks from now will show a marked increase in ROM and mobility. But listen - no bungee jumping girlfriend....

I just went swimming for the first time this weekend - it felt amazing. Not just on the knee but all those other muscles that haven't been used in a while. And the best part is the weight loss with TKR recovery - my swim suit fit better than it did last summer - woo hoo!
 
Here's hoping so! :)
Great news about the swimsuit - here's me hoping. Can you swim ok with your knee? I can't imagine my knee doing anything but the stiff leg jiggle at he moment!
What stroke do you do? :dancy:
 
Hopper, just been reading through your thread and it is helping me realize where I am. It will be two weeks on Thursday and I still don't seem to have the strength to walk with a cane. I have been taking the walker outside and walking up and down the sidewalk. Doing some stretches, heel slides, etc. But the knee is very stiff and I have been icing and elevating but it still feels like, to me, that it should be just a little better. I have really bad muscle pain on the back of my leg and when I first start off I cannot even put full weight onto my leg, takes a little to get going, it is nice to know that we are not alone in this. I see how much you are walking and I am wondering if I need to start walking a little longer every day. Hope you get to swim soon.
 
Hi little Hopper. You made me giggle telling your PT to "Bog Off' Havent heard that expression for a while. Best be safe and wait until your scar is nicely healed beforenyou swim. Im sure youre not advised to do breaststroke with the legs moving like a frog. Just paddling them. Not sure why. I bet you are looking forward to your friend coming. Its nice to have company. Im sure you will enjoy her visit. Im enjoying Karlea being home from Uni. Weve spent today sitting in the garden again. Do the housework later when it gets cooler. Hope you feel better soon and not too disheartened about the old ROM. Three weeks is far too early to be talking about that. Take Care. Hugs
 
Funny, I was about to reply about my swimming stroke and read @robynhood's post. Good point about the frog kick that goes with a breast stroke! I have always done the breast stroke but with my 2010 arthroscopy I messed things up doing that darn frog kick so my PT suggested paddling the legs. That is how I have done it ever since. When I get tired I roll over and do a side stroke which is easy on the knees.

I swim at the lake up at our weekend home in New Hampshire (Northeastern US) so I do swim a distance but not sure how far. With a pool you measure by laps but with a lake I literally pick an island and swim to it. My hubby goes along beside me in a boat for safety. I get to the island, rest, then swim back. Then later that afternoon I sit on the dock with a drink and say to myself GOOD JOB!
 
Pat - I don't think he has a clue what I'm saying half the time, poor man. He certainly doesn't know what doollaly means. We do have a giggle though. Lovely to have Kaylea home I'm sure. I had a good hours FaceTime with my girl today - lovely!
You are very heartening about the rom. :)
Cindy - I hung onto that walker for grim death the first two weeks and found the transition onto the cane hard - the physio pushed me onto it. I went about 200 yards today, very slowly and with a sit down half way.
The knee is still stiff and some days are better than others - that seems to be a common trait between us all. I'm trying to just listen to my knee and let it have some good healing time - despite my impatience.
I've lots loads of pentup energy at the moment - such a shame I can't channel it towards the ironing pile! :groan:
Lovely to hear how you both are doing.
 
I wonder if it would be a kick leg stroke rather than breast stroke legs.
Swimming in the lake sounds cool but cold? I'd like the drink on the dock though! :)
 
It's cold but so refreshing - the drink is too!
 
Hello there, I googled "paddy". Sounds good :snork: We'll have to stock it for the next shindig! Well thankfully,Diana sure sounds like she's doing fine and I hope we hear from Puffin soon.
How are things going with you? Have you gotten to swim yet? Gee, sounds like you're on the witness stand with all the questions.:heehee: I've been feeling rather ill for a while thanks to a nasty stomach bug, complements of the little darlings at school. :groan:I'll get em back!
Take care
Wanda
 
Paddy is very warming! It would certainly make your tum feel better!
When I worked in Dublin it was a wee treat at times. I worked in an area called Ballymun - inspojo will be very wary of me if he knows I've pals there!
Physios are saying I should wait until I'm two months out before I go in the pool! They think all the scabs should be gone and the scar solid and pale pink. The surgeon said three weeks. I love the water so I'm disappointed. I'm sure it would help my bend. We have a pool and jacuzzi on the roof here - such a waste!
Walked half a mile yesterday - very slowly though.
Any dates yet Wanda?
 
Two months before you can get in the pool! I understand the reasons for needing the cut to be healed completely
but two months! Wow. I think your OS is more on the mark. I'm sure you will know when you are healed and I bet it will be long before two months.
No call yet I'm off Monday and I'm feeling better so hopefully I can get somewhere. I have an appt. with my GP to discuss this fiasco. He wasn't pleased at my last visit but as i had done the Joint Class we felt we were moving along.:headbang:
 
One comment: yes I also would listen to the OS if he said you can go in the pool at three weeks. Swimming feels so good.

One question: what is paddy?

Inquiring minds want to know! Have a wonderful weekend all,
Heidi
 
Haha! It's a type of Irish whiskey! Very pleasant and warms the cockles of your heart. :cheers:

I'm scared to go swimming now - they've terrified me with their stories of possible infection. I love the water and I'm sure it would be great for my rom. :shrug:
 
That's what I thought! Many years ago my husband spent a month in Ireland on business, thoroughly enjoyed it. I stayed home, had just had a new baby, and thoroughly did NOT enjoy it. I just now asked him if he ever had paddy in Ireland. He looked at me quizzically and asked "Patty who?". Well, good thing I have a sense of humour!

By the way did your OS use Dermabond on the incision? It leaves scabs that are not actually real scabs but a dried skin glue substance. At my 4 week post op my doctor said I could pick them off (icky, I know) so I did. He said at that point the incision was well healed. He was right. My advice is swim baby swim!
 
Naughty man! Did he like pâté?
Perhaps it is dermabond? I had dissolving stitches and there is some clear, now peeling substance, over the wound. I've certainly got some scabs.
Your lake might well be cleaner than the pool here - lots of kiddy winkles!
 
Hey Hopper, why not just cover the scar with some waterproof bandage? I had this clear plastic thingy called "Tegaderm-Film" (the hospital sent me home with a few extra in case I needed them. It's made by 3-M. It's 4in by 10 inches. Has adhesive around the edges, and a non-adhesive part in the center that fits over the wound. Maybe a surgical supply store might sell them, or something like it :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks LL? I'm going to investigate. :)
 
Sounds as though you are making great progress Hopper

I am still hoping that I will get to my niece's wedding in August - it is just outside Dublin so I am sure that the Paddy will be flowing :cheers2:
 
That's a great event for you to aim for. The paddy will certainly render you pain free. You'll be rip roaring with those mad lads of Joes! :)
 
Just dropping in to see how you are feeling. I like the idea of the water proof bandages. They would work. I used them when I had a cyst removed from my thigh. I was able to sit in the bath and they stayed in place until the next dressing change. I got mine at Walmart but I'm not sure of the name or the sizes they come in. :kittykiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom