PKR Hopefully half a hopper now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full rotation! :egypdance:
 
Hey Hopper thats great I also did full rotation today for the first time, a little sore now but resting and icing. Tomorrow is a new day.
 
Problem!

I have a small red pinkish spot on my shin where the post was put during my mako surgery. The two holes on my thigh have healed, one hole on my shin is fine. This other one looks a bit like a pimple or spot. It has a sort of a head and a solidish lump underneath. My PT thought it was a stitch or something initially.
It's not painful, but it has been there for just over six weeks and is just sitting there.
I put a dab of antibiotic cream on it. No change.
Has anyone else had similar or Josephine any advice?
I've called my OS- the secretary said pop in but I'm hundreds of miles away!
I'm feeling a bit anxious now incase its anything nasty brewing.
 
Maybe you could take a picture and send to Josephine? Could you have your GP look at it?
 
I put a dab of antibiotic cream on it.
Never, EVER put anything on such a spot or wound. Most ointments, creams and lotions in the home have been opened and used already so are highly likely to be contaminated. Not worth the risk.

But yes, do take a photo and post it. But please a) make sure it's in focus and b) that you put something in the picture to give me an idea of scale, like a the head of match or the tip of your little finger (but don't use a coin, I am unfamiliar with the size of US coins!)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hopefully half a hopper now!

Josephine - this is the little blighter! It's as if a stitch or something is under there maybe - but I had dissolvables. Index finger to give scale.
Thank you for looking.
 
hmm- yeah. Well, I forgot to say that a distance shot (just enough to see your scar)would also be helpful so I can see where it is on your leg! Plus that's rather out of focus ... Sorry to be picky
 
Hopper
Hi , I'm on a break in the mountains and just came into town today to log on. I see you are rotating the pedals.
That is wonderful and once that happened to me I felt like I could use the rotations to help with my flexion and extension while enjoying pedaling either at a spin class or on a stationary bike or outdoors on my own bike. I have now been cycling outdoors every few days. I am trying to take it easy as far as how fast I cycle but I have been going around 15 miles. While early last week my knee was a little tired after riding, it had gotten progressively better to the point that yesterday when I went I really didn't feel much of anything. I was also going fairly vigorously on an uphill route and one plus that I'm sure you will experience is that my aerobics have not suffered that much. I think some of the early walking up our hill helped. I have about 7 daily exercises that PT has given me for rom and flexion as well as strength and balance and I think they may be working. The one thing that bothers me most at 7 plus weeks is getting the flexion back. The PT exercise for flexion is a little uncomfortable. In addition to my previous comment, toward the end of my ride on level ground or on a downhill, I lower the seat just to point where I get a little stretch in my knee flexion. I think it is helping. Plus flexing while riding is a lot more fun then those hideous heel slides.

PS: I see you are from the UK. I lived in there for 13 years first in London, then Upper Hartfield near East Grinstead and Westcott near Dorking. :-) My kids were born on National Health and the service was great.
 
patbike - I've family in Logmore lane!
I had a good old peddle at PT today. I'm so pleased. I worry about the loss of cardio fitness and so I'm keen to get spinning and sweating. You are doing incredibly well.
Josephine - here's another pic for you to pick. Joking. I hope it's ok - I'm not great at this.
[Bonesmart.org] Hopefully half a hopper now!
 
That's better! Well, it's nothing serious. Just taking time to heal up. It will heal eventually but I'd keep it clean and covered with an ordinary Bandaid while it's like that though.
 
Hopper
You are kidding, I lived at Brook Farm on Logmore Lane near the dairy from about 82 to 86 and then moved to
Sheephouse Lane a few miles away.
 
Josephine - thank you so much. I guess I still have to wait to swim.
patbike - it's a small world! My lot are just up the lane from there. Nice area for a bit of off road biking. The Olympic course wasn't far away - at Box Hill. Glad you got your babies for free - i realise how valuable the good old NHS is after experiencing the alternative here. Happy peddling!
 
Hi, You sure are having a hard time getting in that pool! You are doing great with the rest of your recovery though! I do hope the "spot" is healing. Out! out! dammed spot! :) You must be very excited as your trip home is very close. My surgery is 9 am Tuesday morning so I would be grateful if you could ask for an extra breakfast on the flight. Drop it off over eastern Canada. Hubby will pick it up. :beg: I am allowed a small amount of clear fluids till 4 am.
I hope you have a great holiday Hopper! You deserve it!
Wanda
 
That pool is so elusive! I hope you have a really good weekend. I shall be thinking of you on Tuesday of course! :friends:
The breakfast will be wearing a red, white and blue parachute. The Queen wont be escorting it this time as shes waiting for a special delivery. Please eat it at around 11am.
Hope the whales are keeping you entertained. :flwrysmile:
 
Hope you bring some flippin sunshine with you Hopper. Seems to have disappeared again. Bet youre looking forward to seeing your family again and showing off that new knee. Safe journey home and hope you have a wonderful time.:SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
wow we did it again. Both posted at the same time. Great minds etc etc:)
 
Hopper,
You,re finally going home...that is wonderful....please keep posting...you mean so much to all of us
You,ll be swimming soon...don,t rush it,it will come. Thank you for all your posts to me .....your humor has lifted my spirits many times
Wishing you the best during your recovery....hugs....diana
 
There is always the Dorking community pool in a pinch. :) If it has survived all these years.
I am still in the mountains and I am amazed at how little my cardio level was effected overall. I have done some pretty good uphill rides the last three days with heart rate averaging in the the mid 140 for a little over an hour(according to my heart monitor). Only yesterday (the third real ride) did I feel a little tired, so I just went a little slower and I was fine. The tiredness was related to getting back into regular exercise and not really cardio issues. So I think that you may surprised at how the cardio fitness has stayed with you. Yesterday I stopped my ride in Sierra City and fmy wife picked me up and we drove on up to Salmon Lake which is great for swimming. I got in about three time and did just a little kicking and it felt like everything was working ok. I will try more later. We are up here for another 4 days.

I did enjoy watching the Boxhill portion of the bike race. I wasn't into biking when I lived in the UK but my wife kept a horse and used to ride in the forest just up the lane. By the way my leg extension is not quite there yet. I can stand on it OK by itself but it doesn't "lock" like the other one. However it feels like it is getting there. The flexion -bending is another story. While it is comfortable for biking it still has a way to go and progress seems painfully slow.
Other than that I just have discomfort at night, but not enough to really keep me awake. I'm usually able to find a position with a pillow on or under my knee that works.
 
It will be interesting to see how my cardio fitness does - if its survived this break I will be very pleased but I'm doubting it. I need a bit of sweaty exercise to find out and cycling is going to be the best way I guess.
My new knee is now at 0 extension - my other knee isn't!
The lateral side of my new knee is still very tight, the patella area very numb. The good news is that the knee feels very stable and is now a lot more comfortable than my grotty left one which is booked in to be sorted out in September.
patbike the wobble board seemed to help my legs stability and scooting around at PT on a little wheeled stool using my heels really helped my bend. Similar to Roy's skateboard but easier to get off. :spin:
Apparently I had a patella arthroplasty done as well. Is that just usual?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom