Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

I love this forum. ❤️ Yesterday was rough, logged in today and reading other threads see some of my latest worries are pretty normal. @Layla saw your foot turned out post op. Mine still is. It falls outward especially when I am asleep. Because I am restricted to walker for 3 months I am not getting any reassurance of how this will feel long term. Still feel leg discrepancy, reassured from OS this will improve but besides blind faith, have no physical evidence.

Question for those who have a Rollator. Do you get hand pain from it? I have a standard issue hospital walker. Tennis balls on front. My right arm, elbow and hand are starting to ache day and night. I wish I could move to cane, but big NO from surgeon until bone graft fuses.
 
I find the hand pressure to be less on the rollator but it is like a stepping stone between the full on walker and cane so not putting quite as much weight on it.
I have a cradle for my leg/foot using a very soft pillow so it creates like a well that my leg sits in and doesn't travel from side to side. Alternately roll a towel and put it up against the foot to prevent it rolling outward. Your hip doesn't like it going outward or inwards for that matter.
 
Happy Wednesday! 21 days post surgery for me.

Decided to divide up my 12 weeks on walker restriction in 10 day increments. @Klassy thread inspired me.

So, here go the positives:
  • Showering much easier, no more Saran Wrap. ( staples gone )
  • No longer on any pain medication except occasional Tylenol.
  • No longer need digestion help. Except a daily apple!
  • Can stand at counter well balanced and make salad or lunch even made family dinner with husband assistance.
  • Log leg mostly gone.
Sending out positive thoughts to all the recovering hipsters out there. Just picked up mail and my 12 year old niece sent a recovery pillow she made by hand. So darn cute and thoughtful.

@Fit4Family. Just catching up on everyone. I’m having similar concerns about foot pronation especially when asleep. Carriemay60 posted good idea for using pillow. Hope that helps you and you have a wonderful weekend. :)
 
Thank you so much @Carriemay60 Appreciate your thoughts on rollator and great idea on the pillow. I’m fine when using my elevated pillow but I can’t sleep like that for long. Think I’m splurging on a Rollator. I have 9 weeks to go and it’s such a step up from my current one. ❤️

Thank you for saying hello @beachlily Feel better just knowing I’m not the only one. Happy weekend! ❤️
 
Last edited:
Happy Saturday to you! :hi:
I do think the external rotation will slowly correct itself. That's what I was told and mine did.
Have you tried wrapping something around the walker handle as a cushion for your right hand?
A thick washcloth may help in a pinch. They do sell padded hand grips and gel grips you may want to consider investing in since you have some time to go before you graduate to a cane. Something to ponder....
I hope you have a comfy peaceful weekend!
@Fit4Family
 
Thank you @Layla for the encouraging words about rotation. ❤️ I have started icing my arm today. It is helpful. Happy weekend!
 
Haven't been on forum as much due to stepmother undergoing emergency heart procedure and elderly father needing chauferring etc so just catching up with your thread.

I do hope your hands and arms feel better.
I had this issue when I had my bilateral surgery.
I was so anxious about walking that after first week I realized I was gripping the handles like I was hanging on for dear life and was using forearms to support all my weight.
Pads can definitely help, but I finally starting trusting my new hip.
Yes it stung a bit ...muscles and incision...but I learned to hold more gently...straightened my back up and let the weight be on my hips...they could take it:dubious:...and use the walker for balance and weight support only after a few steps when muscles tired.
Cruising on back of sofa or countertops helped me gain confidence.:yes:
You will get stronger all the time.:ok:
 
.but I learned to hold more gently...straightened my back up and let the weight be on my hips...they could take it:dubious:...and use the walker for balance and weight support only after a few steps when muscles tired.

:wave:' soon to be' Fit4Family. I too find it strenuous with the walker with a restriction (only 10 more days to go). As I have Osteoporosis, my Surgeon also doesn't like me to put too much weight on my wrists. :umm: So, what Mojo says above is true. This makes heel to toe walking a real challenge, especially with now only a 1cm LLD.

You seem to be doing really well so keep up the good work ... and the chin! :hugzz:

PS By the way, I don't do the grocery shopping any more, hubby does ... and that is something to come to terms with in itself! :sos:
 
I’m so sorry to hear about your stepmother @Mojo333 Sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders.

Thank you for your encouragement on my hand and arm. I am trying to remember to stand up straight. Easier to do early in the day. My arms really have had a beating since October, I am hoping slight angle and grip of different walker will help. Silly as it sounds, I have soft socks wrapped around hand grips because my right hand is so torn up. Always encouraging to remember this is temporary. Thank you for saying hello! Happy Sunday. ❤️
 
Thank you @Izabel Congratulations on 10 days to go with walker. I found cane to be much more comfortable last time. I appreciate your thoughts on osteoporosis. I have not had bone density for some time. Plan to talk with OS next week as the hand hurts more than my hip at this point. Happy Sunday! Chin up is right. Only option!
 
@Fit4Family
Found you! My god you have been through so much... falling over & going all that time in pain....
I’m on crutches & have found wearing leather gloves has helped stop getting sores on my hands... but all these things puts pressure on your shoulders too.
You’ve a long time before you can fully weight bear too.. hope you find a good solution..Think the rollator sounds a great solution.
Hoping you are enjoying your Sunday & the weather is kind xxx



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oh yes, forgot to say, also notched my walker up to make me stand taller. My Osteoporosis showed up on X-Rays , my bones look like Swiss cheese. :heehee: I have never had a bone density test. When my knee was replaced, Surgeon said kneecap looked like lace.

 
Really appreciate your thoughts @Izabel I will look into setting it higher. So sorry about the Swiss cheese knee! You have surly been through a lot. ❤️

Thank you for coming to check on my thread @Hoppy Nanny Great suggestion on the leather glove. Happy Sunday!!
 
You can get nicely padded gloves for cycling too. I think some styles leave your fingers free. There is such a thing as wheelchair gloves but I would guess they would be very pricey!
 
Happy Easter Weekend! 30 days post op today!

Improvements are subtle this week.
  • Easier to get in and out of chairs.
  • Can tie right shoe, but my husband quickly tells me no, waiting for 9O degree restrictions to be lifted.
  • Very easy to stand at counter and shift weight.
  • Have tried walking with cane, gait is pretty good (restricted to walker for 8 more weeks) but had to try.
  • Starting to believe I will recover, shopping on-line has moved from recovery items, to Summer clothes and even thinking about first get away.
  • Left leg still swollen, but now only 1” bigger than right. Moving in right direction!
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
​
 
:goodpost:
Makes me super happy that things are getting better for you!
Hope your weekend is wonderful:tada:
 
:wave: @Fir4Family from a very wet Portugal. Yesterday we had thunderstorms and HAIL :shocked: unheard of here. But at least it is warm and we will have sun between the showers.

You are doing really well, better than me. Can't remember, do you have a weight restriction? Can't wait to lose mine on Monday ... keep being tempted! You watch that 90 bend, ya'hear?

Wishing you and your family a lovely Easter weekend.

[Bonesmart.org] Hope for 2020, Revised THR
 
Thank you so much @Izabel Its very wet here too. Congratulations on the walker graduation. I don’t have a weight restriction, just not full weight. So cane, no, I probably shouldn’t have tried, but it gave me peace of mind.

Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter celebration. Let us know how Monday goes. ❤️
 
Back
Top Bottom