So glad you are continuing to see Improvement and I smile everytime I see your signature quote
You had a terrible accident with many struggles to get this hip back to good, but your positivity is serving you well.
Summer will be sweet!
Excellent report from OS today. Surgeon had huge smile on his face, said X-ray showed exactly what he was hoping to see. Bone is starting to fuse together and even attaching to replacement groves. Still to live in my pillow protected world, no PT, but cleared to start using cane some at home. I’m thrilled!! Next appointment in 6 weeks which will hopefully send me to PT and exercise.
What a wonderful report!
Do be careful with the cane. I am not brave enough for that yet especially with my sore heel, but hopefully that soon will pass.
Have a good evening.
Congratulations! Those are the things we want to hear! I couldn't wait to lose the walker for my cane. It was my best friend for over two years so I missed it a lot.
Yikes, woke up with very swollen knee again. Only walked with cane very briefly yesterday. Did hear some pops in my knee on operated side. Hope this isn’t a sign of something out if wack. Well, guess I’ll be icing the knee today.
Starting to read about scar management. Mine is mostly lateral, but turns at top. 12” long. Have avoided giving it a good look, but know it’s probably time for some treatments. Staple removal marks are gone, it is pretty raised. Such a wimp about these things. Hit me with your suggestions. Reading about silicone tape. Seems like many suggest. I’m going to need rolls and rolls.
@Fit4Family
I never used anything on my first THR scar & it’s just a thin white line now (6years) about 8” long.
The 2nd one (5 weeks today) is going the same way. Until it’s completely healed I wouldn’t put anything on it..[emoji8]
My knee and heel pad still giving me grief, but guess these are some of the aftereffects we have to cope with.
My cut is more lateral and is about 8 inches long but is indented, but assume that is from three cuts in the same place. I have been using 100% Aloe Vera gel but find you have to let it dry for a few minutes before putting leggings on. I also use Calendula Extract with Vitamin E cream especially on my legs which seem to be flaking away! Think I need to drink more water ... but then I need to pee more ... a vicious circle.
Happy Wednesday
Sorry about your knee. Best advice would be to ice. Depending upon approach, they can get pretty aggressive with the knee in an effort to dislocate the hip. Not a pleasant thought, but I often compare it to cutting up a whole chicken, you know how you make the cut and then have to pull and jiggle to separate. The thought of it happening to you makes you wish you could hit the guy....right?! That's how I feel anyway
At twenty two months post op my scar is also a faded white line. I did apply Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E but it wasn't until I was several months post op. I didn't do it every day but most days for a time. I truly think the scar takes care of itself over time. Raised and bumpy all settles.
Many have used Bio-Oil which I tried also. I'm simply not a fan of oily stuff so it didn't work for me but many do like it.
Thank you @Layla Yes, punching someone has seemed like a fun idea at times. Mostly the grocery store that had wet floors to begin with. Knee pain is new, but suspect it’s because I really just started walking yesterday. Leaning some on walker, not the same as cane walking. Good to know all is normal with scar too. I’m more of a natural healing person too. Probably will start with aloe and Egyptian Magic. Had great success with that combo after kitchen burn to arm. Have a wonderful day!!
Up crazy early today. Got 5 hours and then nothing. Guess it will be a long nap day.
For those of you ahead of me, curious about the transition from walking with a cane to walking without. I never advanced after fall/fracture and pinning, so it’s been many months since I walked without assistance. Just started using cane part time, Wednesday. Practicing heal / toe and thinking about stride. OS had me walk unassisted Tuesday. Very Frankenstein like maneuver. How does one learn to walk again? He said no PT until bone is healed completely. So just wondering how long to normal walking for most after THR?
Hi @Fit4Family , just catching up with this week’s news. Great report from OS, you are on your way!
I think scar healing and walking without aids just need time. You are doing the right things, thinking about heel and toe and stride. Your body will do the rest when it is ready.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.