Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

One thing you can be assured of Fit4Family, is that we have all gone through hip surgery with varying pain or complications,or no or little pain. But all went under the surgeons hands and we all understand you needs.
Even though friends, family, or etc, may scoff...you won't hear it from us!
 
Good Morning!
I read on another's thread that you were wondering how long to ice.
It is recommended you ice for 40-60 minutes, no less, each time you ice. Target several times daily as it really does help with pain and swelling. In the early weeks I iced every time I was lying down, or sitting.
Following is an article on "ICE" from the Recovery Guidelines if you haven't made it through all of them yet.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday!
@Fit4Family
 
Good Morning @Layla Thank you so much for the icing information.

Where is the best place on this forum to ask a few questions? I only had 4 days to prep for THR , and am realizing my equipment/ furniture may need tweaking. I will be on walker for 10 more weeks while femoral bone fills back in. Happy Sunday ☀️
 
Hi,
Ask any questions you want right here on your thread. That way you'll always know where the info is to refer back to. You'll get lots of feedback from members and Staff. If Staff finds any misinformation left here, it will be clarified.
Fire away...
@Fit4Family
 
Morning All. Happy Sunday. 11 days post opp and reassessing my set up. Have 10 more weeks on walker for femoral bone to heal from previous pinning.

I have the standard walker, hospital issue. No place to sit cup, no frills. Thoughts / suggestions welcome.

I don’t have a recliner. Chair is ok, but ottoman a bit tall and have to get help every time I put my legs up. Money is tight with unexpected investment in my THR.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
 
Some of what you need to prep for depends on what your OS's restrictions are. In many of our cases the big thing is preventing dislocation. The not bending past 90* and not crossing legs etc. is what you have to prepare for. You will be using your upper body to move yourself especially getting up from sitting. A comfortable chair with arms is your friend. Ice will be a great comfort so you will need a way to ice a lot. The dreaded raised toilet seat is usually a requirement and most of us have found that a bedside toilet frame place over the home toilet works best. You'll need the arms to lift yourself up from the toilet. Getting in and out of the shower and a grab handle are things to look at.
It's a lot different than your pinning. I had the pinning and although somewhat painful it's nothing like a replacement. Because they disassemble you to perform the replacement there is a lot more trauma to the joint.
 
Thank you @Eman85 Yes, 90 degree restriction. I do have potty and chair. Agree, this is much more significant surgery. Although at least I don’t have weight restrictions this time. :)
 
Most useful bits and pieces @Fit4Family in my experience? Randomly: 2 grabbers (one to pick up the one you dropped), raised toilet seat, long handled sponge and liquid soap to hang up for the shower (you'll drop the soap), ready made meals in the freezer, definitely grab handles in the shower, a flask of water by the bed, shoes you can wear without socks, remote controls for lamps, a lightweight shoulder bag for carrying stuff like mobile, tissues etc here and there.
 
For your walker you could get a cheap metal bike basket and use zip ties to secure it to the walker. Use a thermos or travel mug to transport hot drinks. For a better foot stool, you could even get a little rubbermaid or wood stool and then put a cushion on it. (like a stool a toddler uses to reach the bathroom sink). I had a little wooden one for my last surgery and it worked great. A small reusable bag is handy for carrying bits and pieces too.

There are walker trays on Amazon - this one is $21 in the States. If you don't have Prime for free shipping, do a friend survey as many people have that.
Amazon product ASIN B01H0SVP9O
 
I have a canvas bag tied to the front of my walker. For soup, hot dishes put them in a rubbermaid type container with a lid and eat out if it. Also, for sandwiches I cover plate with foil, put it level in the bag. Works good! Coffee mug has sealed lid for transportation to my chair. I put it in the bag.
Hope these help! Good luck!
 
Went in to see OS today for 2 weeks post op appointment. Had my foot long row of staples removed. Hurt, but not as bad as I feared. Classic line from doctor, “I want to you to wrap yourself in pillows, do nothing except heal for 10 weeks.” He said if you fall, there is nothing left we can do to fix you.

Going to add to my home comforts and try to follow all rules. Absolutely no PT is advised either.
 
I love the pearl of wisdom in your signature.:loveshwr:

Glad OS is on board with no PT...take it slow, for sure, but I should guess that his other comment could shake one's confidence. :unsure:
Do move about and don't be frightened of using that hip for walking.:yes:
You've got this!
Hope today is a Good Day:ok:
 
Yes, @Mojo33 ❤️ both of us stared at him with his last comment. He keeps pointing to the broken piece and saying this all needs to fill in. Since I flunked growing the femor neck brake, not exactly feeling all that encouraged. He says it gets more blood flow and to trust him.
 
My ward fell and broke her hip at the assisted living facility. The hospital she was sent to...their hip surgeon has done 127 non fail pinnings. I was doubtful and he said if it failed he would do differently.

She had 6 weeks of next to no activity walker only walking on her toes. They have now started her on PT to teach her how to walk on her hip .

I wish you the best, he did not encourage me with the pinning. To have it to do over please give it time to heal!!
When my hip broke..I was given no diet instructions. Do we not need extra calcium in food or supplements?
 
When your OS tells you things like that the best thing to do is follow his orders. The no falling down is an important rule for all of us, not a good thing for a THR no matter what. Now your job is to fuel your body with what it takes to help it rebuild.
 
Thank you @Eman85 Good point, probably true for all THR. I’m following all of his advice for sure!

Hi @Mudhen I wasn’t given any choice on pinning. Given my age, it was done after I arrived at the emergency room. They did test my D3 levels and since they were low, had me take D3, C and calcium. I’ve read since that it has a lot to do with how quickly the hip is pinned. Mine had been broken for 4 weeks. I didn’t know until I literally could not walk. Best of luck to your Ward. Take care!
 
Back
Top Bottom