Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Today makes 15 days post op for me. Still fighting painful swelling in my left leg, knee and foot. Right foot is also having sympathy swelling I guess. Very painful at night and makes for lots of potty trips. I had something similar after our son was born. It may be Lymphedema. My OS thought ted tights would help. Definite no, my poor husband had to strip them off while I winced in pain. Anyone else have this? Massage makes it feel the best. Can’t reach my toes of course so I am looking forward to recruiting hubby later. Elevation and ice don’t seem to do much. Only massage and gently moving.
 
:wave: Hi there. I was not fond of those 'sexy stockings' either! :shocked: My right one was okay but the left one squooshed my thigh and my Surgeon used to come in daily and fold it down to my knee, which was still uncomfortablle. I wore them home and never put them on again. I asked one of the Nurses why they had holes in the toes and she said so you can wear them with flip flops ... and another nurse agreed. :scare: I had to elevate and ice all day in hospital and do at home when I ache.

I am sorry you are suffering and hope you find relief soon.
:console2:
 
Ah, honey! I will keep you in my prayers that this passes soon. Thank goodness for our husbands who are helping carry us through this. Will need to read up on lymphedema as I am not familiar with details.

Blessings and peace
 
@Fit4Family Really sorry to hear about your painful swelling. I had some swelling also and it was probably 2 weeks before I saw an improvement. Hopefully you are able to stay off of your feet with the elevating and icing. I used the TEDS too until about 3 weeks but it was always such a huge relief when the hubs took them off for me. Makes me wonder if they just make it worse (the TEDS not the husband :heehee:) The massage sounds like a wonderful idea and I hope it brings some relief!
 
Thank you so much Ladies. Prayers and friendship here are truly sustaining me. My sweet husband has surely been a trooper. We have a 13 year old son still home and dh has had to taxi him everywhere. I’m grateful his boss has been so understanding and let him work from home when possible.
 
I'm sorry you are dealing with that swelling. I had it very bad last time and it amazed me how painful it can be. I don't remember if it was drinking more water to flush the system that I was advised? I also got "Medistik Dual Spray" from Amazon eventually. That was a miracle worker for my swelling! You obviously can't put it anywhere near your incision but I used it on my foot and knee. Worked instantly! Prior to that my foot was probably the size of a small melon and it felt like it would explode at any minute. It also comes in a rub that looks like a deodorant stick.
 
Good Morning @Fairydell Thank you for checking in on me. So sweet. Swelling still crazy. I am thinking I may need to consult with my Regular doctor. I iced and elevated on and off all night. Hope you are doing ok this morning. Sending healing wishes your way! ❤️
 
Happy Wednesday! 21 days post surgery for me.

Decided to divide up my 12 weeks on walker restriction in 10 day increments. @Klassy thread inspired me.

So, here go the positives:
  • Showering much easier, no more Saran Wrap. ( staples gone )
  • No longer on any pain medication except occasional Tylenol.
  • No longer need digestion help. Except a daily apple!
  • Can stand at counter well balanced and make salad or lunch even made family dinner with husband assistance.
  • Log leg mostly gone.
Sending out positive thoughts to all the recovering hipsters out there. Just picked up mail and my 12 year old niece sent a recovery pillow she made by hand. So darn cute and thoughtful.
 
Last edited:
@Fit4Family I am glad to hear you are progressing nicely. I was thinking about you the other day, and besides our similarities of both having pins done first, avascular necrosis next, then finally the hip replacement, we have one more similarity. When I first went for a flying leap, landing hard flat out on a cement floor, I too did not go to the hospital. I just thought it hurt because of the landing. I was getting around for a full week before I got xrays, and only then because it was getting worse instead of better. I was walking out (with crutches)of the xray clinic when they said the only place I was going was to the hospital, and they could not believe I had been getting around and driving for a week. You also didn't go right away to the hospital. I am wondering whether the time between the injury, and when we had it repaired had anything to do with developing avascular necrosis. The neck of the femur was fractured, and not having it dealt with right away, cut off some of the blood supply to the femur head. Water under the bridge now though. Since my thr, my leg now feels like it is a part of my body. During the avascular necrosis, my right leg felt like it wasn't part of me.
Sending you healing vibes to you.
 
Hello @Newstart70 Great to hear from you. Yes, our stories sound very similar. I waited 4 weeks before I realized it was really serious. Then emergency room sent me home with a walker to wait to see OS on Monday. Never made it to OS. Ended up in ambulance after not being able to get off our bed. Hip dislocated then and I waited another 24 hours for surgery. I wish I would have done something the day I fell. Suspect it may have resulted in different ending. My current OS said there wasn’t anything wrong with blood supply, no arthritis either. Bone just didn’t heal. He could push on it and it flexed at the break. Five months after pinning.

Hope you are recovering well now. Will go try to find your thread update. Take care! ❤️
 
Last edited:
I can't believe either of you moved an inch after breaking your hips. I was going no where and was very resistant to paramedics even touching me. The ambulance ride was one of the most painful experiences of my life. My hip must have broken differently than yours because pinning was never an option. Because I had been on blood thinner for some clot issues, they couldn't operate for 48 hours while they got it out of my system. They kept me completely gone on morphine to the point that I hardly remember those 2 days and I think I was on some kind of special mattress; just little flashes. And yet here you two are carrying on with life, casually making xray appts.!!!
I must have no pain threshold at all or you two are certainly made of some stern stuff!
:wowspring:
@Fit4Family @Newstart70
 
Laughing @Carriemay60 stern stuff. No! Your description perfectly matches mine after my ambulance ride. I was in such pain I couldn’t stop screaming. They put me in some crazy girdle so they could move me. Morphine drip until surgery and still in tears. My break must have just slowly started coming apart, because I am not pain tolerant. Landed on concrete hard. Stupidity kept me from getting it checked out. Never again, paper cut, I’m heading for X-ray.
 
My son who lives where I fell is a firefighter and was on duty just a few blocks away but coming to meet us and his kids for lunch at the mall (so, yep, concrete floor). When two fairly small female paramedics showed up, I had my husband phone him and refused to be lifted before he got there. There is a bit of rivalry between the disciplines but the girls were good about it. They lifted me with a scoop board. It goes on two sides and somehow scoops you up.
 
Those firefighters are amazing. You must be proud of your son @Carriemay60 The two that showed up at our door were a God sent. We were so grateful to get help when we needed it. They had pain somewhat controlled in ambulance. A distant memory, but still remember their handsome faces.
 
Back
Top Bottom