Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Margie....when a word such as the one you used is caught by our profanity filter, you will see the asterisks and know that it is a word not permitted on BoneSmart. If you would be so kind as to then go in and edit it out of your post, I would appreciate it. That's what we ask you to do in our forum rules. If you haven't read them, please do to to this link in the OFFICE tab.

I will make the changes for you this time in both your posts.

Thanks Jaime. I read the rules again. Must of been the meds!!! :scratch:

Margie
 
No sweat, sweetie.....you're fine.....
 
Re: Hitched A Ride to The Other Side-ROM measure

When does your PT/physio measure your ROM? While you are:

1. Seated on edge of chair & sliding foot under chair
Or
2. Lying down, same move as heel slides but with foot flat on bed or table.

PooShay's answer: although we do both, my PT prefers No. 2. I get less pain and better results with No. 2.
 
Pooshay, Your before photo looked like mine with knock knees. I have had the sore ankle, shin, and foot which got worse in time as I started walking. I had an ultrasound to be sure it wasn't a blood clot because the elevating and ice hasn't taken the swelling there down too much. Sometimes the ankle hurts more than the knee. We think my ankle and foot has to adapt to the straight leg that I have now. Maybe Physical therapy will help the ankle. That's what I'm hoping!
 
My PT never measured it at all! She eyeballed it and knew what it was - and when I measured it with my gizmo, she was spot on!
 
Mine has'nt measured me either,,, but I know its good, I can tell.
 
4-week Visit to my OS went very well. He's pleased with the incision site, the ROM of both, and everything else. Done with home PT and off to a PT site for a while. Went to class to see my students. They were so happy, and LOVED the scars!

The second part of my journey begins.
 
Great news!! The next part is so much fun - every day brings something new you couldn't do easily before. Be proud of yourself for all you have accomplished and will continue to .:hapydancsmil:
 
I'm half way thru my fifth week and I find the most annoying problems remaining have been with me since I woke up from surgery:

1. tight band around the ankle (fortunately not as often as before, and moist heat and massage help).

2. Waking up in the wee hours (about 30 minutes before the pain pill alarm goes off) with burning legs. It also feels like i put an S sized TED hose on an XL leg. Very annoying. Left leg is just around the knee, right one is from ankle to mid-thigh. With the help of cool washcloths and pain pills, I get back to sleep.

My home PT mentioned to me that my right leg is smaller than my left. Quads and calf have atrophied and hamstrings are weaker. So, until I see the outpatient PT, I've added some gentle strengthening exercises for that leg.

Knees are still swollen and tight feeling. Still getting the BoneSmart treatment.

And I started massaging my scars. My skin tends towards keloids, which would have been devasting in my "younger youth". Now I don't care. "Those? They're my new tats!"

Off for a walk, followed by a nap as I try to massage the scars.

Still hanging in. Still staying up till 2330 reading BoneSmarts posts!
 
Another milestone: I dropped something on the floor and without a thought just bent my knees and retrieved it. Here's how i did it the past 4 year: right leg strait foot on floor, bend at the hip and extend left leg behind; pick up item from floor.

Little things! Makes up for the almost constant burning feeling.
 
:wow2::yahoo::dancy::happy dance: That's just SUPER, Pooshay!!!!!! Slowly but surely, it all gets better and better. Love it for you!!

Keep us posted. We care.:cat-kittyandsmiley:Judy
 
Hi PooShay

It is a great feeling when you catch yourself doing something normal without thinking - well done to you :wink1:

I know what you mean about the tight band - it is so annoying and now I am almost 12 weeks and still have it from time to time. I keep posting about it and have a good old moan :snork: You are doing great with your recovery!!
 
Jo: I'll take "from time to time" over "more often than not". So, more good things to look forward to.

@Josephine: I'm adding this picture for Josephine. I read earlier today about someone who mentioned a bump on the scar (sorry, can't remember who!:secretaea:). I *think* you had asked for a picture from the poster. Since I have the same bump (one on each scar), I thought I'd post a pic of mine. Funny think is that 4 days ago, I was at my OS's office and they removed the knot that had made its way out at the end of both scars. I mentioned this one to the tech or nurse and she said it wasn't a stitch ... but it sure looks like one to me; it's not a bit of flaky skin. I've been treating it with oxygen peroxide until I hear from my OS. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side
    stitch-sm.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 153
[Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side


I altered the colour and brightness to show it up more clearly.
When you touch this, does it feel hard or sharp, bristly?

Because I think it might be the tip of a cut suture peeking through.

When do you see your surgeon again?


Also, how did you get that nice thin red circle on the image?
 
Pooshay,

I was just catching up on your thread and I am in awe of you! You are doing fantastic! Keep up the good posting reports!:biggrin:
 
Sonja. Thank you. I am so grateful that I have not encountered any major problems so far in my recovery. I am in awe at a lot of BoneSmarties, you included!

Josephine. Much better pic. THANKS. Will email that to my OS's nurse. My next appointment is in 7 weeks. The thingie is not as hard or sharp as it was Friday, but it sure looks like suture.

I use Photoshop.
 
I'm pretty sure it is. But don't worry about it. It's obviously very superficial and the underlying scar is obviously well healed around it. But it needs sorting.
 
PopShay,
I had a similar little stitch, it fell off before I got to the OS. Hope yours goes away just as quickly.
 
PooShay, your legs are looking greater!! How cool was that when you picked something up off the floor. I was chuckling 'cause that is how I did it initially after surgery!! Not a pretty site!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom