Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy moly! Those were some pictures taken out your way. I'm glad you're ok, keep safe down there, the weather people are predicting more of this unpredictable weather thru out the spring and summer.
 
I take my meds by the clock. The alarm sets off every 4 hours. So, this morning, I remember hearing the 1 o'clock alarm, but apparently I went right back to sleep. In the past when I'd sleep thru, I'd wake up half to one hour later. This morning, it was TWO hours, and oh my words, I didn't think I was still at the stage of getting such pain! Definitely an 8, with the legs burning and feeling really tight! I'm not at the point of cutting back on the pain meds. Everything's settled now and I'm ready for my PT sesh!

OTOH, I noticed yesterday (OK, I'm kinda slow) that I've been using the regular height toilet, and getting off without holding on to something!

And also yesterday, I noticed that I was walking more normally.

These little steps helped me accept the pain of this morning. Some things go well, and some don't. It's all part of the recovery.

At my 4-week exam, my OS asked me to flex the legs. The left one moved a lot smoother and further than the right. He said that eventually they would both end up at the same level. My PT measured the ROM after 2 weeks of PT and massage. Left is 134, Right is 118. I certainly hope that the right will go to the level of the left and not the other way around.

BTW, PT was really interested in the Goniometer app! We compared numbers and the app results were slightly higher than her measurement.

OK, now I feel totally better! Onward and upward, everyone! Whatever your hurdles, keep a positive mind.
 
Hi PooShay
Ouch with that pain!! All these small achievements are huge to us and well done to getting to this point. Our toilet seat upstairs is so low and I am still using the riser, so well done to you on using a normal seat :thumb:

Niggle = a small annoying pain :thumb:
 
PooShay.....you're doing just GREAT!!! Don't worry about your ROM....it will come in the knee that's trailing a bit. And the one where you have 134 won't go backwards....it doesn't work that way.
 
PooShay,
Sounds like you're doing great -- particularly getting off of the toilet with the regular seat, and walking. Thanks for the encouraging update. I'll be on the other side soon. So it helps to read about suggestions and progress. :yes 4:
 
Re: Hitched A Ride to The Other Side- talking about pain

I'm going go try to describe my pain:

1. Ive had these since the first post-op day, and I know those will eventually resolve. Not worried.
A tighteness all around the knees, about 5" long. Knees are feeling less hot.
The feeling that there is a clamp just below my R ankle.
Various "pokey" areas in the thigh muscles at the joints, most apparent at flexion. These are getting less and less.

2. In Week 4, I've had some sensitive areas:
The side of my R foot feels raw, like something grated against it, but the skin is intact.
The inside of both legs is very sensitive to touch. Sometimes I get cramps in the inner thigh muscles. Hit or miss as to how they respond to massage.
The outside of the R lower leg alternates between crampy and numb.
Now, my R big toe is also feeling raw. Now moist heat feels good on that.

I worry about No. 2.

For the second time this week, the rawness, cramp, numbness and sensitivity were so intense, it felt like the whole legs were on fire, R more than L. I could not get into a comfortable sleeping position. I have no problems walking, seating on a low toilet seat and standing from there when I have the leg pains.

I checked the Library for info on nerve pain, but only found info on sciatic nerve pain.

Ive added potassium and magnesium (Pill/food) to my diet. No quinine (for cramps) yet. I still elevate and ice the knees; havent tried moist heat yet.

I'm going to email my OS's nurse and see what she says. Meanwhile, any ideas? I thank you in advance.
 
PooShay, I'm sure Josephine can tell you more than I can. But that tight feeling all around your knees---very common---caused by swelling---I had it until sometime into month 4---its gone now. Knee stayed pretty warm to the touch about the same lenrth of time.

As for the other things you mention---it would be my guess that, now that your legs are straight, your gait has changed considerably. So, you've got a lot of muscles and ligaments that are having to readjust themselves and they don't like it! These should resolve themselves in time and with patience (those two words again).

You already know that its does get better, and thankfully it is going to get even better but unfortunately not as soon as we'd all like for it to.

Take care, keep us posted, we care. Judy
 
Hi PooShay,
I saw you ask about Mederma. You can get it without a prescription. If you go to mederma.com there is a $2 coupon you can print also. You can also do a search on there website to where you can find it in your area. I can get it at Walgreens here in Vegas. I still have a few steri strips to fall off so I haven't picked mine up yet!
So far my scar looks very nice, I am pleased with it. I will post a pic after my final 5 steri strips fall off!:biggrin: Have a wonderful Easter!

Margie
 
PooShay,

I have seen Mederma at Wal-Mart, they also have Bio-Oil which is also very good for your scars. You can use Bio-Oil just about anywhere the say you can use it on your face to help with wrinkles.
 
Just saw an ad from Baylor Hospital about TKR. At the end the "patient" says: "about a week and a half, I was back at work."

They forgot to say on what planet.

Uh oh. Adding an edit here: Maybe i just HEARD TKR because that's on my mind. Maybe it was THR! Now, I'm not sure. Sorry, guys!
 
Just saw an ad from Baylor Hospital about TKR. At the end the "patient" says: "about a week and a half, I was back at work."

They forgot to say on what planet.

Oh my...this is why so many people come to BoneSmart and wonder what they are doing wrong and why they aren't back to normal in 2 weeks. :rolleyespink:
 
Uh oh. Re my earlier post re the ad from the hospital: Maybe i just HEARD TKR because that's on my mind. Maybe it was THR! Now, I'm not sure. Sorry, guys!:blush:
 
I've had a hip done---and even though it is considerably easier than a knee--I think back to work in a week and a half is ridiculous! Only if the boss does't care that you're loopy from your pain meds, falling asleep at your desk, and generally uninterested in everything going on around you.
 
I'm entering my 8th recovery week. Time to share some of MY experiences since we're all KRs here, realizing that you may not feel what I feel, and if you do, it may not be on the same timeline. Get coffee!

1. Pain. The tightness continues in the knees; sometimes less, sometimes more. But I don't worry since it doesn't affect my activities. I do worry about the burning I feel in my right leg, from top of thigh to toes, front side only. I wonder if that has anything to do with my back. Being addressed with OS nurse. And i have an appointment with back doctor in early May. The burning is really my only concern. :rolleyespink:

2. Meds. Still alternating Norco and Tramadol by the clock every 4 1/2 hours, paying attention to signals from body. regimen for good BM in place.

3. PT. enjoying it more and more. I have 5 more sessions left, then I go back to work out at my gym. I was able to use the leg press machine for the first time in over two years! :yay: OTH I found out that a drunken sailor (no offense meant to sailors) has more balance than I do! I taught step aerobics for years; now I can't go up/up/down/down without my arms waving like windmills and my body on the verge on falling. When I'm not doing anything, I feel as strong and fit as before. I find out I'm wrong when I start moving about.

4. Activities. Went for an 8 minute walk today. I think I could have stayed our longer. Next time, then. Can't sit too long at the computer without a break. Once a week, I go to the Recreation Center to help set up the equipment for my class and chat with the students. I can't wait to start teaching again. I can now stay awake to watch TV in the evenings; I usually massage my scars during that time. I hang around Facebook and BoneSmart when I can't sleep at night and catch up with most of the threads. And I still do Sudoku puzzles. Another favorite daytime activity: :sleep: Oh, our "band" resumed our favorite Saturday night pastime: playing the video game Rock Band. I lasted the whole session.

5. Clicking and clunking. :yes 4: I either hear them or feel them but I'm not sure which. The swelling in my knees is going down!

6. Food. Again, I want to remind you that I'm writing about MY experiences. If I walk too closely to food, it jumps and installs itself on my thighs! I haven't taught an exercise class since last May, but kept my food intake the same. So I gained weight. I went to hospital weighing 128 lbs. When I left the hospital for the rehab center 4 days later, I was at 135. Half way thru rehab, I was able to eat again. I left rehab as I had come in: 128. I remembered one of my students telling me that I needed to eat well during recovery. And so I probably ate more the first 10 days home than I had eaten the whole of 2011!!!!! I even ate a hamburger and french fries ... for the first time is 24 years! Weighed myself after those 10 days: 124 lbs. Wow! It takes a lot of calories to heal. Today, 15 days later, eating just a bit less and adding PT: 123 lbs. i'm puzzled. We'll see what happens in another 10 days!

7. The hardest part yet. Getting hubby to stop doing things for me. "But honey, I'm SUPPOSED to do this!". Or my asking my son during our FaceTime conversations: "Wanna see my scars?". "Mom, I saw them yesterday."

I can't believe the op is behind me! It wouldn't have been as easy without BoneSmart and the Smarties!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom