Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...that's what I like to see!!!!
 
I'm 16-ish days post op and my meds are Norco 5-325, 1 or 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed. Couldn't hack the "Oxys"; they made me loopy. Meds seem to work. Opinion?

Thanks.
 
I see nothing wrong with that....especially if it's working. Go for it!!!
 
You have a way with images, PS! Very neat.

Love the result - shows how much difference it's made. Wow!
 
It's 19 days after my surgery and my straight legs and I have been home 5 days.

The shakiest part of the whole deal came during my first 2 days in hospital with my blood pressure dropping, having a low grade fever, needing a transfusion (ended up getting 3 units), and finding the right pain meds. All was settled by the time I went to the rehab clinic and gelled by the time I left for home.

I have not yet experienced the blues, and I'm glad. But if I do, I'll know that it's normal.

I've been monitoring my regularity (which I have to report to my home PT) and have added raisins and prunes to my diet. And more water.

OT has been by and said she won't come back since it looks like I can handle myself in the house.

I tried to do without one dose of my meds on Friday night ... and it's way too early. I find that 2 Norco (5-325) every 4 hours keeps the pain away (except in the wee hours of the mornings when my legs BURN!). I've set my alarm to go off every 4 hours, because I know that if I don't my legs will start hurting ... then, I'm chasing the pain. I have a refill (from the rehab facility doc) which will take me exactly to the day of my 4-week visit with the OS.

I make myself sleep at night: cuddle with a kitty (if she'll let me):cat-kittyandsmiley:, not worried about hubby who's in the guest room with the other 2 kitties :sleep:, and I listen to a number of comedians go thru their stand up routines. Yes, that relaxes me because I'm not listening to anything that coming from my own mind! During the day, I can nap sometimes, and sometimes not. I go with the flow. I have yet to read a book ... I'm afraid I'll fall asleep and read the same paragraph a bazillion times. But, I do read the threads here (there's SO MUCH to read). While I was at the rehab facility, I attended a wheelchair yoga class which ended with 10 minutes of meditation. Keeping your mind totally empt ... oh look! A shiny object! Might be worth checking into.

The PT says to look forward to using a cane this coming week. Another sign of progress, right?

I do my exercises, I rest, I ice and elevate, I walk about every so often. I thank hubby for taking care of me ... and mean it.

My only concern is (dare I say it?????): ROM!:tantrum2: Not so much the number (95 & 90) but the feeling I have in my knees that they're locked up to a certain point. The whole area in and around the incision feels really really tight. I didn't overdo at the rehab center. I don't overdo at home: gentle stretching, gentle movement on a rocker, then more assertive heel slides (to the point of real tightness but not so hard that I hurt after my session). And I'm not seeing any progress at all. And yes, I've read the threads on ROM from the library and know that people experience progress months and months after surgery. It all just feels so weird to me.

Before I left the rehab clinic, the doc asked me when I was planning on going back to teaching exercise. I told him "when my knees say it's OK." A BoneSmart answer, right? He wanted to be sure I didn't have an agenda ... like going back to teaching in a couple of weeks. I assured him I had no such plan. He smiled. I'm careful not to play music at home. I might unconsciously break out in an aerobic dance routine!

Well, that's my recap of the past 3 weeks (with some reiterations, just in case someone missed earlier posting from this gripping drama! :th_heehee: Except for a very few seconds the very first time I stood up on Day 2, I have not regretted having the surgery. I may encounter some bumps along the way, but this journey is going to end on an up note!
 
Pooshay you are doing awesome! You got some great looking legs!:biggrin: I think we all want such great ROM because we have not had it in soo long. But as I hear from our fellow bonesmarties dont sweat it we will get there. :thumb: You will get back to teaching and I will get back to my YMCA, my elliptical! The morning crowd will be keeping it safe!!:hysterical: My 18 yr old daughter will be giving them morning updates since we are gym buddies! Keep up the good work your doing awesome! I will try to update how everything went from my ipad. Im so excited to be starting this process!!

Margie
 
PooShay....you mention that your therapist may be starting you on the cane soon. Don't let them rush that. You need to be ready physically. It is a bit early and especially for a BTKR.
 
According to my friend Annie, today is Napping Day. Wow. I took an hour nap within every 4 hour block. * I didn't sleep that much in the hospital, or at rehab.*

Everyday a little something improves.
 
Enjoy those naps ! Soon enough you'll be feeling so well they will be a thing of the past.:sleep:
 
I have come to realize that my ROM pre-op was lousy! Why did I think it would be great post-op? I'm going to blame my lapse in judgement and mention of ROM the other day on anesthesia brain and move on.*

Even though I sleep at night, I have night sweats (annoying), which is a result of taking pain meds?

Still taking Coumadin since my blood clots too quickly. PT asked me if I had eaten any leafy green vegetables or drank tea. *I hadn't. But I did go on to check my multi vits and calcium and found that the Viactiv which I take twice a day had a total of 80 mcg of Vit K! *We don't know if that was the cause, but i stopped taking it or now.*

And I find that my legs are waking up in layers. Seems like it's getting closer to the surface. *I still can't sleep on my side, though, but I know that's temporary. *Patience! One of the 5 Ps.*

Little bumps in the road. *Little victories here and there (chocolate tastes good again!!!). * I'll take them all.*

The Steristrips are gone. My scars are now naked!

I hope that sharing those little events during my recovery may help someone down the road.*
 
You bet the sharing is helpful to others!!! That's been shown time and time again by the comments we get. So please do continue to post how things are going and those milestones....no matter how small they seem.

You're doing just fine....keep working on that "patience" thing. It's the most difficult "P" of all!!
 
as far as the area around the incision feeling tight, that could be some swelling and should diminish. Like you say, patience--easier said than done. it sounds like you're doing well. Congrats on getting the staples out.
 
Please keep good thoughts for my massage therapist. He'd been I'll since Sunday and has now been admitted to the hospital with an infection in his THR leg. His wife called to tell me that he kept repeating "she needs me, and I can't help her." Brings tears to my eyes. :cry: He's been my MT for 20 years.
 
PooShay,
Thanks for the post on your experience of the beginning of "the other side".

Becky
 
Pooshay im so glad you keep an update. You have helped me alot and I love your Fabulous attitude!! I will say prayers for your MT hope he gets better soon. So sweet that he is there for you even when he is sick enough to be admitted! Im having a good day, tomorrow my right knee will be 1 week old. We have plenty of time on the ROM, mine wasnt good before surgery either. Im not focusing on any numbers because they will go up and down and sooner or later we wont even be thinking of them anyways. Im letting my brain focus on Recovery the Bonesmart way. Rest, Ice, Elevate, and pain meds!! lol. I will continue to post my updates. I am gonna start writing in a notebook daily of my progress, thoughts, Moments that I have to lol at myself!! Keep up the Good work and remember this really is not a sprint!! And our end results are going to be so exciting. I love your picture of your beautiful straight legs!! I keep staring at my new knee and im awe how straight it is.lol. Left one looks just horrible, lol, but not for long hopefully.

Margie
 
Didn't mean to offend anyone with the word I used in my previous post.

Margie

Staff note: This post and the one previous have been edited to remove words caught by our profanity filter.
 
Margie....when a word such as the one you used is caught by our profanity filter, you will see the asterisks and know that it is a word not permitted on BoneSmart. If you would be so kind as to then go in and edit it out of your post, I would appreciate it. That's what we ask you to do in our forum rules. If you haven't read them, please do to to this link in the OFFICE tab.

I will make the changes for you this time in both your posts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom