THR hipster333 is in recovery<

Wow, I had napped for 1/2 hr this morning and then just fell back asleep for 2 hrs. It's nice having a quiet house. @Layla the pillow and ice are still working well on my back for sleeping. :loveshwr:@Mireille I've thought of the walk-in freezer too. :heehee: At one point last night I had four ice packs on. The last two days when I go for a walk around the house I've been having some groin pain (I was lucky before most of my pain was on the outside of my hip). I'm trying really hard to walk straight and not fall back on my limp walk from before the surgery. I know I don't need the limp walk anymore to protect my hip. I'm thinking maybe I'm using muscles in there that haven't been used in a while. The poor body goes through a lot with this recovery business. @Mireille are you able to go far unassisted now? I'll have to pop by your thread. Gotta go grab more :ice::heehee:
 
I still have tightness in thigh from swelling. Bruising in back of hip has some beautiful colors. As swelling goes down pain should decrease, but swelling can take it’s sweet time.

Are you using cane or walker @hipster333? I think walker is getting bothersome because I thane avtendency to slouch over it. Easier to stand straight on cane, but strength for it full time is not quite there.

You are correct, we are using muscles we haven’t used for a while.

Have a good evening.
 
@MammaT just using the walker. I've only tried the cane for the stairs coming into the house. I can't wait to get rid of the walker. It makes it really hard to go on a longer walk on the main floor because it doesn't fitbetween all of the furniture. I'm trying not to slouch when I walk with it. I actually think I'm overthinking the whole walking thing, which is why my walk isn't very fluid. I keep thinking "stand straight, don't limp". It's a lot of work just to get to the next room. :heehee: My swelling has gone down quite a bit, but my hip is still a rainbow of lovely colours.
You have a great night too. Remember to ice!:ice:
 
Woke up at 4 feeling better than I have in ages. :yes!:Fell back asleep and later, once I woke up, took a shower. That shower did me in. As soon as my youngest left the house for school I fell back asleep. :sleep:Went for a short walk on main floor and did a few exercises. Will probably fall back asleep soon. This whole recuperating thing is exhausting, but at least the pain is getting a little better. I know it'll be a busier weekend with everyone around and hubby and the kids have Monday off for Family Day here in Ontario. Hubby is talking about taking the kids to a movie on Monday, which is perfect--the house will be quiet and I can sleep. It's the little things really. :heehee:
 
My 16 YO son was my primary caregiver after both THR. It was nice to have his help with laundry, keeping ice bags filled, cooking (which sometimes meant driving to get carryout) and driving me where I needed to be. In both cases, I was glad he had school 2 days post op. My older son offered to come over and stay with me in the morning (so that I'd only be alone for a couple of hours) since his classes were all in the afternoon. I expressed my appreciation of the offer but very firmly turned down the offer. I loved the quiet, peaceful house and doing what I wanted (including napping), when I wanted!
 
Recuperating does take a lot of energy @hipster333, that’s why everyone is constantly telling us to rest. After a busy morning and visiting with some people I am in recliner with ice and it is glorious.

Glad your pain is a little better. I would like it if it would just go away all at once, but that’s not the way it goes, at least for me. Don’t get too worn out this weekend. Try to participate from an elevated position. And enjoy the little things!
 
@SaraK that's so great that both sons were willing to help, even if you didn't need a lot of it. My 14 yr old son has been pretty good at helping out with meals when need be and other things around the house. School is done for the week so the quiet has now stopped. lol

@MammaT I wish the pain would all go away at once too, but I'll take what I can get. Right now it's better than before my surgery. Glad you got a chance to relax in the middle of your hectic day. Have a wonderful night and enjoy your dinner!
 
Thanks @Jackie222. Everything is quiet now since the rest of the family just left to do some running around. I thought I'd post quick and then take a nap. I'm not as tired today as I have been and I got a much better sleep last night. Hubby changed my waterproof bandage this morning (staples coming out the 22nd). Things looked much less scary than what I was expecting. Lots of staples, but just a little bit of tried grossness. No swelling or redness and the incision line is nice and straight. Hopefully the scar won't be too bad. Walking is not as painful today so I've reduced my meds and we'll see how that goes. I'm going to try to at least walk to the back of the yard on the pathway since enough of the snow has melted to get back there. Managed to clean the sink and mirror in the bathroom and left the other stuff for hubby to finish up later since it requires bending. At least it makes me feel like I'm contributing a bit. Hope everyone has a great day!
 
Doing little things does help. I’m really trying to follow activity guidelines in the library. Since I live alone, I do vary a bit from them but staying close. So I may just do one or two small chores in a day with rest in between. Since I’m wiped out from too much activity yesterday, will be happy with unloading dishwasher, my walks and meals. I have also discovered the world does not end if I empty top rack now and bottom rack later.

I have spread meds out to every 6 hours with new script and that seems ok.

Enjoy your quiet time. I got no naps yesterday, so I am going for number 2 here in a bit.

Your doing well @hipster333.
 
I think I pushed it too much today. :( Stood up after supper and accidentally twisted my operated hip only slightly and wow did that hurt. Resting and icing now and not doing any more tonight. Hopefully I didn’t do any real damage. No pain lying down and icing so think I’m ok. Need to be more careful. This is a precious hip.
 
Those first twists are scary @hipster333. I think it takes more than slight twist to damage hip, but the pain is the body giving is quick reminder it isn’t ready for that move yet.

Great plan you have for rest of the evening.
 
Thanks @MammaT that makes me feel better. Watching Barbie and the Three Musketeers with my daughter while lying in bed. She may be turning 12 and talking boys and makeup, but I love it best when the little girl in her comes out. Oh how I will miss these days. They don’t happen very often anymore. :(
 
Yep, those cuddle times are precious. Enjoy them. If she is normal within the next year or two you may well become incredibly stupid. Then at some point in her mid 20s you will suddenly become very smart. Evidently parenting changes our iq! :shrug:

The really good thing is you will have the hips to keep up with any and all teenage shenanigans.
 
Yikes....scary! Twist and Shout....ever hear of that song? You're too young, lol!
Glad you're icing and resting, you'll be good as new :egypdance:

Aww, Barbie movies and cuddling, a little taste of Heaven I always thought!
Doesn't get much better. You're wise, savor it.
A great rest of the weekend to you @hipster333
 
Hopefully I didn’t do any real damage.
You would have to do a whole lot more than just twist to do any damage to that hip. It's muscles and soft tissues that are complaining. Icing should help. Hope you have a restful weekend!
 
Thanks @Jaycey. Feeling so much better this morning. The magical power of ice and sleep. :ice:@MammaT and @Layla my daughter already has those moments where I don't know anything. It gets a little bit worse every year. Happy to know it'll get better as she gets older. I know I was the same way with my parents. Payback time I guess. :heehee: Hope everyone has a great day! Trying to take it a little easier and supervise while everyone gets the work done--not easy for me. :sos::rotfl:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom