THR hipster333 is in recovery<

:heehee:@Walknginthesand glad you are enjoying my rants. I'm not ready for all of this talk of BOYS!:scary:Glad you understand. :friends: It's sad to say but the visits to the hospital have really been the extent of my outings, except to the grocery store. I just asked my husband if he will go out on a date with me on Saturday. So he said, "I'd love to. Why don't we go up to the Tim Horton's on the corner" (not romantic, but at least it's an outing) Now I'm sitting here typing thinking about how in the world I'm supposed to get into a booth and if we don't sit in a boot, how am I going to sit on a chair??? No armrests and those chairs are low! How am I going to get back up if I do sit down? Ack--very stressful going for a cup of tea! :yikes: @Mpjo333 this normalcy thing may take a bit. :heehee:
 
Yeah, I enjoyed "being out" for about 15 minutes...as much time as I tolerated riding in the car.
Only one month, superwoman!
Give it a month more.
It's called cabin fever...we don't want to be in the cabin...but outside the cabin is hard.:sorry:
 
@hipster333 Remember not that long ago you were worried about using a cane? Now you're walking around the house without using an aid? What?? :yay: That's so awesome. And Jeans? You're on a roll! :yes!: You are going to handle the date night restaurant obstacles like a charm. You've got this! Enjoy you're evening. :flwrysmile:
 
If you sit in that chair, just make sure hubby is gallant and helps you up! Or suggest somewhere else that you won't have that problem. For me, the hardest chairs before and after surgery were bar stools. Much too difficult to get into, nothing to lean on and sometimes nothing to rest your feet on and then you practically have to jump off a cliff to get down. Who designed them!?!
 
@SaraK you are totally right about those bar stools--staying away from those! :rotfl:

@AgilityDog I wasn't sure if I could handle the jeans, but I had to give it a go. You need to concentrate on staying out of trouble though! :heehee:

@Mireille thank you! I'm going to give date night a try--you're right about all of the challenges we've faced already. What's another one?

It's been an eventful morning. I had to print off a form in a different room for my daughter's lessons tonight. To do this I had to walk up four stairs, cross the hall, climb over a big mess on the floor in the office and grab the form. After doing that I came back to my bedroom and was resting for a bit. I then got up to go and do something and reached for my cane only to figure out that I had left it in the office. :gaah:Maybe not the best thing to do! So--had to go back and climb over everything to grab the cane--this time realizing how perilous a task this actually was.
Later on, went to PT. This is the first time I've been back to my regular PT since surgery. He could not believe how well I was doing :curtsey::heehee:. He said if I was stubborn enough to walk around and actually do well without the cane (not recommended on a regular basis at this point (especially due to klutziness)) then I'm ok to drive. he tested my reflexes and said there's absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to drive locally--we live in a small town. So freedom here I come!!! :happydance:Of course--gave me new exercises--we'll see about that, but especially recommended I do an exercise to stretch my hamstrings since I'm having the pain under my right kneecap. He's concerned there may be a touch of arthritis and says if the hamstrings were stronger then it would give more space under the kneecap and prevent the grinding (which is causing the pain)--he had me at prevent pain (also really don't want TKR anytime, let alone in foreseeable future. All in all a good appt.
Daughter is heading out to her first horseback riding lesson tonight so I'm sure we're going to become much poorer after that! :groan:
 
Last edited:
The obstacle course in your house sounds similar to the one in mine. :heehee: Luckily, the moving obstacle (my son's cat that likes to run right in front of you and stop) stayed far away from the walker or the cane. Maybe she knew she'd be in mortal danger if she pulled her tricks when I was using them. Alas, she's back at her old tricks now!

Crossing that obstacle course without the cane is great progress! You may be done with it soon.

Getting back to driving is so freeing. It's wonderful not to have to depend on someone else to drive you everywhere. There are some that don't drive still but feel better knowing they're allowed to do so. Then there are those like me that acted like a 16-year old getting their license and wanting to drive everywhere. (That doesn't surprise anyone, does it? :rotfl:)

Good luck with the horseback riding lessons! Maybe you can test how much she really wants the lessons by introducing a new chore that she needs to do to earn continuing them. I found that making my kids earn something like that or paying part of the cost of a new gadget they wanted helped to test their interest and even make them appreciate it more.

Have fun on date night!
 
:rotfl:@SaraK you are hilarious--such a rebel! I have a feeling I may have to test the car out sooner rather than later too. :heehee: Love your idea re: chore for the lessons. Now what diabolical chore can I come up with? :snork: I have the cat obstacle course here as well. We have two of them--they've been pretty good through my recovery, but do love to sit in the middle of the hallway and refuse to move when I try to go through--stubborn kitties!!!:kitty:At least they aren't cutting me off at this point. I have to keep an eye out because they love to play at the top of the stairs. :catbutterfly:
 
Yikes about kittens litter ing the stairs and halls. Can you attach a bag of kitty treats or catnip willed toys? To throw in the opposite direction you are walking?? Or would they figure it out and come running for treats?
 
What is her least liked chore? What is your least liked chore (you might as well get some benefit out of it)? Any issues with grades? Does she read enough? Do you want to encourage please and thank you or discourage eye rolls and exaggerated sighs? Yes, I'm diabolical as well.

We have 2 cats as well but mine's not a problem. She tends to stay out of the way until she wants attention - and even then, only if I'm sitting. the other one likes to sit in doorways and hallways and generally in whatever path she sees you taking. The only other thing that gets her running is hearing food being dispensed. She also likes to play in water (as long as only her paw gets wet. She's the cat that will look you in the eye as she deliberately knocks over the glass. We have to have their water in one of those plastic ribs the size of a shoebox. She will find a way to dump a regular bowl and just kept splashing the automatic watering dish until it was empty. Anyone up for Chinese food?
 
@Newhip2/14 I was worried about the seam on the side aggravating the incision too (my incision almost lines up with it), but I haven't had any problems today (knock on wood!) :happydance:The yoga pants were fine the whole time (even when I had what looked to me like a huge gap after they took the bandage off and the staples out). I couldn't handle wearing dresses--especially not with the forest of hair I had on my legs before that first shave post-op. :rotfl:
@Walkinginthesand thank you for your prayers. They are certainly appreciated! Cliffhanger? :heehee:

I’m thinking I may never shave my legs again!! Maybe I can hire someone for that. Some things go by the wayside.
 
Good job @hipster333. I’m leaving my cane sitting around in different places, almost left it at dentist yesterday. We’ve come along quickly from clinging to walker for dear life to realizing we don’t need something. And driving is wonderful! Still not ready for long trips yet, but it is so nice to be getting independence back.

Good luck with the horseback lessons. I agree with the chore idea. There’s an opportunity for a life lesson in there.
 
Yay :yay:on navigating the obstacle course in the hallway. It's funny how crazy things like that
feel like such an accomplishment....but it is a small victory which amounts to a simple pleasure on the road to recovery. I always say OA with all of its pain and then the miracle of this surgery help us regain an appreciation for so many things we once took for granted.
Congrats on permission to drive. Nothing like regaining that independence!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@hipster333
 
My little dog wanted to lead the way on my walker excursions.
After a few accidents with his tail, he decided to take up the rear vantage point while keeping an eye on me:) :-) (:
Hope you have a Good Day
 
@AgilityDog the cats do love toy mice. I'll have to start keeping a couple in my pocket for around the stairs. :kittykiss:

@SaraK your son's cat is a trouble maker! :rotfl: My daughter's grades are excellent and her reading is great. We talked to her last night and she's so excited about taking lessons that she didn't even balk at getting more chores--vacuuming and cleaning her bathroom (she had to start doing her own bathroom when I had surgery--there's really no reason she can't continue as she does a good job doing it).Thank you so much for the suggestion--you're absolutely right about this giving her both responsibility and "buy-in" for something she wants to do.

@Newhip2/14 I couldn't do it--I had to shave my legs my first time showering after I got home :heehee:

@MammaT I'm so glad you didn't leave your cane at the dentist. I freaked out enough when mine was in the other room! It is nice that some things are getting back to normal though. :friends:

@Layla thank you! You have a great weekend too! Not sure if I'm brave enough to try driving today and venturing out on my own. :scary:

@Mojo333 my 333 sister--you have a smart dog there! I bet he still loved going out on those walks! :dogwalk:

Have a great day everyone!
 
@hipster333
I was so excited to receive permission to drive.
Then I didn't drive for a few days!! I realized I was a little afraid.
I practiced in my neighborhood before I ventured out. You need to make sure
you're comfortable hitting the brake. I felt like I was 16 again and was laughing
at myself and how ridiculous it was practicing to go out on the big, bad, busy road. :driver: :heehee:
 
I made my first drive quick-like three minutes to nearby grocery/ subway. First drive, just went into subway and got sandwich. Next day, went into grocery, picked up something to fix for lunch and dinner. Those two trips gave me confidence to move on.

Not too worried about leaving cane, I have a couple of them @hipster333 (although that one is m favorite).
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom